Hi Rossi is a newbie here...

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Rossi420, Jan 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rossi420

Rossi420 New Member

He is my 13 yr old orange tabby baby diagnosed just under 2 weeks ago with diabetes. He is on 2.5 units of lantus once a day. He went from 13 lbs to a thin looking 11 lbs in a short time before his diagnosis. He still drinks a lot of water( only from the sink or tub running) and I have not yet noticed any improvement since we started treatment and changed his diet 11 days ago. Praying he feels better soon. Any advice or support would be helpful to us terrified newbies. Thank you.

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Welcome! This is the best place for help and advice. Please repost on the main health forum so that your message will be seen by more people. Some other useful info to include: how your kitty's dose was decided, whether you were taught to test blood glucose at home, if so what meter you use, what food your kitty eats and whether he has other health problems and/or is on medications.

3. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Hi welcome to you and Rossi! it is scary at first but it will get better. Are you home testing? If not then I highly recommend it. It's really the only way to know how well the insulin is working and it will help you keep Rossi safe from a hypo. It's really easy to do and we'll be glad to walk you through it. As Kris said, post on the main health with any questions.

4. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Welcome. Love that picture.

Critter Mom likes this.
  5. Bowie S. B. Otch

Bowie S. B. Otch Member

Welcome! I'm new here too. I quickly embraced home testing (I had done this before on myself when I had gestational diabetes) and got a meter that works well and already came with strips/lancets/calibration fluid. Here is the amazon link:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YD7DU1W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

My only problem with this kit is that my cats ears didn't bleed very well with the 30 gauge lancets. I had to order 28 gauge ones for my kitty (although I've read plenty of articles that say 30 works well with many cats). Also, look up "sweet spot" finding the best spot on kitty's ears for taking the sample.

I'm no expert, but I am learning and getting better.

Sharon14 likes this.
  6. Bowie S. B. Otch

Bowie S. B. Otch Member

Oh and his picture is adorable!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.