Hi there!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lar&Sam, Aug 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lar&Sam

Lar&Sam New Member

Hello! My name is Lauren and I am caretaker to Sam. Sam has been with us for nearly eleven years now. When he first arrived he was about 8 weeks old. He has grown from a teeny bit of fluff into a giant!

We received his diagnosis 2 weeks ago when starting at a new vet. He tested at 435. We started Lantus at 1 unit twice daily and changed his diet to all one food. He was already on a wet food only diet, getting two servings of Honest Kitchen and one can of Tiki Cat. Now he gets 3 cans of Tiki Cat. His first (in office) glucose curve was yesterday... turns out his numbers aren't showing any improvement. Pre-dose 518, nadir 300. I am assuming part of this was stress spike from the dreaded car ride. His vet was pleasantly surprised when I asked how she feels about home testing, said she has given up asking clients to test as no one was willing. (Make your own face of shock! I did.) She recommended the Alpha Track, but was chill when I told her I am going to use a human glucometer. She is excited to have the ability to treat more proactively than usual.

I've been lurking here for the last two weeks whilst wrapping my head around the new situation. Thanks for all the excellent information I've gleaned up to now, and I look forward to getting to know everyone in the future.

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Welcome, Lauren and Sam! Glad to hear you have a vet that supports home testing. The one that diagnosed Mia recommended against it - yeah, really - so I fired her and found one that supports it.

Lar&Sam likes this.
  3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Welcome! So much of what helps us as kitty caregivers is having the right mind set. You do and this will take you a long way down the road of treating FD. You've already taken the key steps so go on over to the main health forum to post any/all questions you have. You've been lurking so you know the importance of the spreadsheet we use here.:);)

Lar&Sam likes this.
  4. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Welcome Lauren and Sam!
    Kudos for taking charge and wanting to home test right away! Come on over to Main Health and post questions as Kris stated :)

Lar&Sam likes this.
  5. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Welcome... We are here for you when you need anything

Lar&Sam likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.