Hi there!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Smidge, May 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smidge

Smidge New Member

Just thought I'd say Hi!

Jasper is 13 and just diagnosed with diabetes this week. He already has hyperthyroidism. He was put on 1.5 units Caninsulin morning and night. Despite being Type 1 myself and used to injecting, I am failing miserably to get his injections right - too long a needle, too much fur and too much wriggling around. I'm at my wits end and am scared because he's not got his insulin properly for 2 days. Just want to sit and cry. I haven't managed to get any blood to test him yet either. Hoping to get some tips from all your posts.

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Smidge likes this.
  3. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Welcome, and don't despair. I put a towel on my bed, put Idjit's food on the towel, injected while he was eating. I'm too old and chubby to manage otherwise. He didn't notice. My husband holds Idjit and I do the stick, kitteh is big, strong and can be fiesty, but dad calms him down. Idjit was difficult at first, but likes the warm rice bag(sock) rubbed under chin, over head, as well as warming his ears. He has settled down and just lets us do it. You and Jasper will learn together.

Smidge likes this.
  4. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Welcome! It gets better... really.

Smidge likes this.
  5. Chrissy66

Chrissy66 Member

Hi and Welcome. Everyone here is right it does get better. I know when I first was testing Candi she wouldn't sit still then little by little I learned what is known as her Sweet Spot and I get blood every time. Also when I first tried to shoot her, I was so scared but once I saw it wasn't hurting her I was still a little nervous. Try to get your kitty perhaps in your lap or something or his favorite spot when it comes time to check and shoot.

Smidge likes this.
  6. Smidge

Smidge New Member

Hi everyone! Thanks for the welcomes - it really helps to hear other people saying it gets better!

I think I managed to give Jasper a proper dose this morning - still very fraught but at least he's finally got his dose. @Chrissy66 - unfortunately Jasper's favourite spot as soon as he sees the vetpen is under the bed - right in the centre so I have to climb under there and pull him out. Anyway, I prevented that this morning, so we started off a little calmer :)

I also managed to get the vetpen working properly which is a huge step forward - and I spoke to the support team at Merk who make the vetpen - the only reason they insist you can't use a shorter needle with it is because they are only licensed to market it with the vetpen 12mm needles. I know from my own experience of Type 1 that needles for insulin delivery pens are universal, so I might buy some 8mm needles - I'd be happier using those at least until Jasper puts some weight on and has more rolls of skin to grab hold of. Anyway, a little calmer today.

My aim is to get at least one blood test by the end of the weekend!

Thanks for your support!

Kris & Teasel and Chrissy66 like this.
  7. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Good job! There's a learning curve to get your groove. You'll be a pro in no time.

I have a video in my signature showing how I test my cat CC at home.

Smidge likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.