Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pearl and Emily

Pearl and Emily Member

My five year old cat suffers from eosinophilic granuloma complex that she was diagnosed with at 3 months old. Since about 6 months old she has been controlled with low doses of prednisolone. She has been on and off prednisolone since that time, just about 5 years now. In April I noticed she started losing weight and took her in for blood work. Of course, the full panel showed that the thyroid was, normal kidney function was normal, and even her blood glucose was 91. It was estimated that she had lost at least a half a pound at that point.
    For unrelates issues, she was in and out of the vet in May and June and her weight continued to decrease. Her blood glucose remained in the low 100s until our last visit on July 18th. We have since discontinued the prednisolone (obviously) and no longer intend to treat her granuloma complex with a steroid. She has grown up on Hill's WD because she has an older sister with fiber responsive IBD. We initially switched her diet to Hill's DD duck but because of the cost and the high carbs we are transitioning now to Nature's Variety limited ingredient diet canned duck food. It is 1% carbs. I'm looking for some insight from others that have had young steroid-induced diabetic cats. I've heard that it is harder to get these patients into remission. I think I forgot to mention that I am also a veterinary technician in New York state currently working out of the profession. I have a glucometer at home, we've started Lantus (dosages are varying right now)and I have a scheduled feeder. I think that's all I have to mention. I am of course overwhelmed by our new home schedule and would love the support of this forum. Thank you for having us!

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Welcome to the board, it sounds like you have really had some adventures with Pearl and Pen. I see you have already created your signature and that you are home testing. Regarding the varying Lantus dosages please post in the Lantus Forum. Idjit was on Lantus for such a short time that I am in no way an experienced user, but I think it would be beneficial to you to get some input from long time Lantus users. We use a spreadsheet to track BG, insulin shoots, doses and other information. It would be helpful if you could set one up and link it to your signature. This link will bring you to the area that provides instructions and how to understand and use the spreadsheet. http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/suggestions-tech-support-testing-area.6/
    You have the support of every member, and we certainly understand that deer in the headlights, overwhelmed, "what the heck happened" feeling. Other health questions can be posted in the Health (Main Forum) and will be seen by many more members:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/feline-health-the-main-forum.28/
    I look forward to getting to know more about Pen, Pearl and you.

3. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Welcome! Cute children you have there. :)

4. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome to the forum.
    Idjits mom had given you some good information.
    Home testing and low carb foods are two of the best things you can do for Pearl. Setting up a spreadsheet will be very helpful for us and you, to see how Pearl is responding to the Lantus. I’m writing on my phone right now so can’t send you the link but will later.
    Great you have set up your signature... very helpful.
    Lantus is best dosed at the same dose unless increasing or decreasing and we recommend you go up and down in 0.25 (1/4) unit increments.

Cats that have steroid induced diabetes have a good chance of going into remission. Not sure about young cats though. Maybe others have had experience with that.

Come on over to the Lantus and Levemir forum. We all use these insulins there and would be very happy to help and support you. I’ll send the link with the other link
    later:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.