Hi!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Corie, Dec 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Corie

Corie New Member

Hi, my name is Corie. I have an 11 year old cat named Lucy. She was diagnosed about 2 years ago with diabetes. Last week she had DKA and I thought I was going to loose her. She pulled through and is slowly getting better. I'm so happy to have found this forum!

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

3. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome, Corie and beautiful Lucy! She looks cat-mo-flaged on that grey blanket :)

I haven't dealt with DKA personally, but there are people here that have. From what I have seen, it is doubly important for you to home test...with a history of DKA you want to be sure that you don't ever flirt with that again. Let us know what kind of insulin you are using, and go over to that forum and read all of the sticky notes at the top of it. As Larry said, feel free to ask any and all specific questions over in the health forum, and I encourage you to read other people's questions as much as possible. You will pick up so much, and if doesn't hurt to see the same types of questions multiple times being answered by different people. There is a lot here, so seeing something more than once helps it sink in!

Best,
    Sandi&Whisper.

Critter Mom likes this.
  4. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Corie,

I'm really sorry to hear that Lucy had an episode of DKA but I'm so pleased and relieved for you both that she has pulled through and is now on the mend. (((Lucy)))

Here's a link to a recent thread with helpful information for cats recovering from DKA (plus another link for you to follow in the destination post from this link):

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/newly-diagnosed-after-surviving-dka.169143/#post-1835044

If you go to the Feline Health board and do a search through the posts by member Meya14 she has posted a lot of extremely valuable information about ketones, DKA, and post-episode aftercare.

Here are some useful links about ketone monitoring for you :

Are you testing your kitty for ketones?

Tips for catching and testing urine samples

Mogs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.