High 400 and 500's, Vetsulin, been increasing dosage.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Bryan & Princess, Jun 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bryan & Princess

Bryan & Princess Member

Getting a little concern, maybe its impatience?

If you check my Princess's glucose chart in my signature you can see her numbers have been rising and I have been increasing her dosage ever few days. Today I should be able to get a curve done which I know would help.

She seems fine, but she has been polishing off her meals within 1/2 of being placed down, and drinking a little more water (not near like it was when she was first diagnosed).

The Vetsulin I got from the vet like an idiot I left out the first night, I put it in with the needles to bring home and forgot about it until the next morning as I read all the paperwork. I know my shots are going in, but I wonder if the Vetsulin is any good??? It is seperated each time I pull it out and I have to slowly flip it up and down followed by rolling it in my hands. The now say it can be shaken and I have done that a couple of times.

"Vetsulin® (porcine insulin zinc suspension), like many other insulin preparations, is a suspension. The active ingredients in Vetsulin are present in the precipitate and in the clear supernatant.

Therefore, before administering, the insulin should be shaken until a homogeneous, uniformly milky suspension is obtained. This applies to both the 10 mL vial and 2.7 mL cartridges"

Found here: http://www.vetsulin.com/vet/AboutVet_ProperHandling.aspx (there is no clumps or particles after it is mixed)

Not sure if I should keep raising her dosage, money is tight so I hate throwing out good Vetsulin, after finding good prices in Canada I am thinking of switching Lantus/Glargine Basaglar as suggested but a little worried using it as I sometimes need to give her a shot earlier by 45 minutes.

Any thoughts or suggests appreciated.

Bryan & Princess

2. Marie&HerCats RUSTY

Marie&HerCats RUSTY Member

Hi Bryan. Cant really offer any specific advice however, Im in the same situation. Since diagnosed March 2018, Vetsulin has not consistently or regularly brought Rusty's BG levels down.
    He has even been hypoglycemic at times Doses have ranged from 5/5U to 6/8 U originally prescribed by Vet. I have been trying to find a lower dose between .5U to 1U on my own.
    I have not discussed this with my Vet yet but will next week at next appt Not too optimistic about him agreeing to change brand or not chastising me as he does not even want his clients to home test!
    Ill post my experience after the appt.

3. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

It is possible that she has gone lower than you realize and that some of those really high numbers could be from her 'bouncing'. Without mid-cycle data, there is no way to know how low the dose is taking her.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.