High blood glucose, won't eat, drooling, hissing and growling

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by HenryDavid, Jan 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HenryDavid

HenryDavid New Member

Hi. I'm Henry and I'm out of sorts. My mom is frantic. I just want to be left alone and she is doting on me. I've never behaved like this before. She even called the vet.

I haven't eaten since yesterday afternoon and my blood sugar is 671. I take 2.5 units of Lantus daily. I eat Fancy Feast (the illegal ones!) and sometimes I sneak crunchies. I'm not interested in anything today. The vet said to give the regular dose of insulin, anyway. Mom did that. I'm not as pie eyed anymore but I'm still drooling, hissing and growling. I did pee and drink a little bit. I am moving upstairs and downstairs seeking refuge away from my mom.

What should she do to help me?? Should she chill and check back in a couple of hours or should she cart me up and get me to the vet right away? I'll bite her if she tries to look in my mouth or test my blood again. I'm grumped out.

Thanks feline friends. Henry, 14

Critter Mom likes this.
  2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Henry - does your mouth hurt? Do you have a dental infection or broken tooth? Those can cause your glucose level to shoot way up.

Your mom can pop over to a pharmacy and get some KetoDiaStix to test your urine for ketones. These form from fat breakdown when there isn't enough insulin. Too many ketones may indicate diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA), a potentially fatal, expensive to treat, complication of diabetes.

3. HenryDavid

HenryDavid New Member

Hi BJM. My brother and sister have stomatitis, but I don't have dental disease. I may have eaten an outdoor plant this morning but I always eat that plant. Mom said she thought she saw a blade on my chin. That's never bothered me before. Maybe I ate too much of it?? Keto Dia Stix, eh??! I'll tell her about that.... Thanks, friend.

Dee is taking over the keyboard, she's such a control freak!! Henry

Dee: Vet said to give Henry his insulin this afternoon, too, even if he doesn't eat. REALLY??? This is freaking me out. I don't want to kill my precious Henry. Thanks friends. xo

Critter Mom likes this.
  4. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

If the insulin is Lantus, Levemir, or ProZinc, it has a gradual onset and wear off, so it is safe to give. It will help the glucose lower, which will likely trigger some eating.

5. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Exhale.
    Pause.
    Slow comfortable breath in.
    Repeat.

OK.

Hi Dee. I know you're pretty stressed. We can help you with this sugar dance. It takes a little bit of learning the steps, and we know you can do it.

6. HenryDavid

HenryDavid New Member

I'm so thankful for your kind words I'm tearing up quietly. Thanks, BJM. You have an adorable kitty. Two orange boys here, two black girls.
    Yes, I'm horribly stressed and in panic mode. Henry has been regulated since his onset about a year ago. He takes Lantus injections from the vial.
    GREAT TO KNOW about the gradual onset and safe to give... EXHALING... ThankQ ThankQ ThankQ. Will check back later. Henry is now resting by the window which is an improvement from under the bed. xo

7. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

When you have a chance, tell us about how Henry was diagnosed, and how you've managed the diet and insulin.

8. phlika29

phlika29 Well-Known Member

Oh Henry, I feel for you and your mum.

Dee do you think Henry is in pain. Is he hiding because you are fussing over him? Is he moving freely, siting normally? Has anything else changed recently such as food?

9. HenryDavid

HenryDavid New Member

Hi Phlika29 and BJM, going to take Henry to the vet in a few minutes. He is miserable. Tongue out and drooling. Wants to eat. CanNOT. Takes one lick and starts to growl. He is walking a bit. VERY agitated. I'm hoping he didn't eat anything poisonous. He goes outside on his own for a few minutes each day but he never leaves his yard. (I know, I know I shouldn't allow it. It's a habit since he was a found feral kitten and it's his way.) Now I'm wondering if it IS his mouth... he is a biter so I can't get in there without risking my own hospitalization. I'll update you in a bit. Please think good thoughts. xo

10. phlika29

I agree. Better safe than sorry. Nothing wrong with allowing kitty abit of fresh air. Have you got any poisonous plants in the garden? Maybe he hurt his mouth?

Will be thinking of you. Remi drooled when I gave him a bitter tablet once so maybe he did eat something??

11. phlika29

Licking and walking away can be nausea but not heard of growling being a symptom. Maybe more like pain.

12. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Could be something stuck in there. Good luck at the vet.

13. HenryDavid

HenryDavid New Member

??? Not too much the wiser after our vet visit but they did pay particular attention to the mouth. There are 2 bumps in there which the dental vet thought might simply be irritation that could go away. Pain shot, bupranex for home, and watch him. No temp. No weight loss. If he doesn't eat by tomorrow, bring him back in.

Got him home and he was happy. Ate a little and had some dry food, too. Perky. Just joined me in the office and is looking out the open window. (We're in Mesa, just outside of Phoenix) Can't give him more insulin until later tonight. If he eats - full dose, if he doesn't - half dose. Not hissing. Not growling. The vet put the fear of the cat god into him, I guess.

I'd rather be safe than sorry. Henry has always had a major appetite and has never had teeth problems. I think the pain meds are helping... What a day... happy he's safe and home and coming round. Didn't know what to expect with today's events. We'll rest up and come back later for a proper greeting to all. ThankQ for sitting with me and helping both of us today, dear friends. xo

14. phlika29

So glad it wasn't anything more. Let's hope Henry puts it behind him now. Don't let him go for too long without eating ie go back to the vet as advised.

15. HenryDavid

HenryDavid New Member

Hi Friends, I'm relieved to report that Henry is feeling like Henry again! He's back to head butting, eating, and coming for 'butt rubs'! He's my boy again, huge sigh of relief.

Last night started out good but he didn't really eat too much so only gave him a half a dose of lantus and no further pain med. Woke up at 4am to check on him. Awake and wanting to go outside for a peep, but still not interested in food. At 5 gave him a syringe of buprenex, by 5:30 he ate a few crunchies, by 6am he was ready for Fancy Feast and soon thereafter gave him his lantus insulin. (pre food he was testing at 461 which is 200 less than yesterday but still not very good.)

Biggest thing is that he is cuddly again. Eyes bright and a happy disposition. Not hissing and growling. If we can get this pain under control we're half way to wellness. Hoping the hyperplastic bumps go down on their own, but with 2 other cats with stomatitis, I'm aware this may be the beginning of something bigger and I've got to keep an eye on him. THANKQ for getting me to breath, folks! xo

KPassa likes this.
  16. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Dee,

I'm glad you got some help for Henry. I'd have been really scared, too.

Sending you a :bighug:, scritches for your handsome boy, and a prayer for him to be all better very soon.

17. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Hi Henry and thanks for the introduction. If you would please start a new post with any questions you may have over in the Feline Health (the Main Forum) we would really appreciate it. Thanks.

18. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

Any possibility of bees or wasps around? My Henry (non-diabetic) ate himself a bee or something with a stinger a couple of months ago. He was foaming at the mouth and growling for about 2 days. Hopefully it's something as simple as that and not the "beginning of something bigger.":bighug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.