High Ketone levels?? Lantus dose

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Violet and Garland, Aug 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Violet and Garland

Violet and Garland Well-Known Member

Condo?

2. Violet and Garland

Thanks for all the kind words. I just picked up Garland from the vet. They didnt say much. But they did the urinalysis, gave her fluids and sent me home with a few cans of the liquid food. I brought her home, tested her (267 +6) and fed her. Now Ive got some more errands to run for my family. Ill be back in a bit. Thanks again for all the support!! ((hugs))

3. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

"Condo" is the slang term in Lantus Land for your thread. You can open up a fresh condo every day.

I am sending lots of healing thoughts to Garland today.

4. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

it's just cuz it's gotten so long - 3 pages isn't a record but it's pretty good! ;-)

we open a new "condo" or thread each morning, and the subject line says "8/18 garland amps 321" and as the day goes on you re-edit the subject line of the first post repeatedly. when you have a question you can flag that, or you can just add the test numbers "+3/285 +6/200" etc. it lets people see at a glance who might be in trouble, need advice, or have a question. there are lots of us on everyday and doing it this way makes sure that everyone needing special attention gets it.

we also link the previous day's condo to today's. that way anyone needing a quick catch-up on what's been going on can find your previous posts and not ask you the same questions over and over.

i'm guessing "condo" comes from this being like a neighborhood. it's pretty appropriate - people in this neighborhood are pretty nice. :lol:

with garland's stuff being a little complex right now, when you open a new condo and link this one, it might be helpful if you included a synopsis of at least today's details in your first post.

5. julie & punkin (ga)

oh btw, on the spreadsheet with yesterday's extra insulin doses - you can insert a second horizontal row for the same date to add R or whatever else you might need to include.

great job on the ss - it lets people see the essential data at a glance!

6. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

Hi Violet - I didn't want to interrupt the flow of important information yesterday, but I've been "following" Garland's story from the beginning. You are doing an absolutely incredible job caring for her and your family...truly amazing. Lantus Land prayers are very powerful, and you guys have tons of them behind you!

Amy

7. CD and BigMac

CD and BigMac Well-Known Member

(((Hugs for you Violet.))) Get well Garland, you have quite a cheering section! :D

8. Violet and Garland

You all are so amazing!!! Thank you!!

Should I start a new "condo" now? Or wait till morning?

9. Patty & Champ

Patty & Champ Well-Known Member

Wait until the morning for your new condo.

I've been following you and Garland also. I feel for you so much you just don't know. I'll be keeping you in my prayers. You really are a special person to do this for "just a cat."

10. Deb415andNikki

Deb415andNikki Member

Dearest Violet, and, of course, you too, sweet Garland,

I think it is you and Garland who are truly amazing!

Please know my hopeful, healing, ketone-free thoughts and prayers continue for you both.

Much love and countless hopeful, healing hugs for you, Garland, and your family,
    Deb and Nikki -- and, Giz...

11. Violet and Garland

Just wanted to pop on and say hi. Garland is about the same. I keep having to check to make sure shes breathing because of how still she is :sad: I hope the urinalysis comes back with some good news about the ketones. I was hoping she would have started to perk up by now. But shes still the same as when I took her in almost 2 weeks ago to the ER. Is this how all of your kitties were when they got DKA or FHL?

Ive started mixing the recovery with some of the clinicare instead of water. How much water should I be giving her? She gets the 6ml with each feed when I flush the tube. And another 6ml for the day w her meds. How much more should I give?

Since I just bumped her lantus does from 1u to 2u, I decided to hold of on the R today, just to see how she responded to the change in dose.Tomorrow I will probably start the R... How often?

12. julie & punkin (ga)

hey, garland got down to 267 today - not bad. it's a slow process but that's a good sign.

i don't know the answer to your questions - but if you edit the very first post of this thread, not just this page, but the first page of this condo, and change it to something like "clinicare? water? R?" the people who know those topics will stop in. sometimes in the evening there aren't too many people on, but you likely will have an answer by morning if you pop it up there now.

13. Sandy and Black Kitty

Sandy and Black Kitty Well-Known Member

Hi Violet,
    Since you increased the Lantus to 2u, and being that the effects of Lantus are cumulative, You may see some action from the higher Lantus dose tomorrow. Based on that I think it's wise to be conservative with the R.
    If Garland is over 300 at AMPS,and you will be able to get tests at +1, +2, +3 and +4 you can try giving her a tiny bit of R, 0.1u, immediately after her 2u of Lantus. If that has no effect and she remains high, you can give additional R around +7 or at PMPS, and at that time try 0.25u R. Again I'll stress - since you do not yet know how Garland will respond to R any time you give it you must closely monitor.

Start a fresh condo (thread) tomorrow morning and post all your activity and numbers. I'll be at work, but can check in periodically.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.