? higher glucose

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by majandra, Oct 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. majandra

majandra Well-Known Member

I haven't been checking Rhubarb as much the last couple days, but when I had, it was her normal numbers (part of why I was checking less).

Last night I gave her some PC turkey and giblets mixed with her friskies. This morning her glucose was 17. Can I assume that it is from the new food being much higher in carbs than expected? A spreadhseet says the large cans could have higher carbs, but I wasn't expecting that much!

If it sounds like the food, I will go bring the rest of the can to my friend's place this morning (she cares for strays).

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
  2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

It's really hard to say without data. Yes, we sound like a broken record here but a structured daily testing routine would give you important data. Right now her numbers, while not awful, are too high.

Many before you have struggled with the idea of having a regular testing routine. I was one - for many, many months. I had no idea why my guy wasn't responding well based on the curves I did for my vet. It was only after coming here and trying the "FDMB way" that I learned why and how I could get on top of it. He's very tricky to dose and erratic in his responses but I've managed to get him doing OK.

JeanW and majandra like this.
  3. majandra

Work and absolute exhaustion got in the way :(

I had figured since she's been ok, the couple of days wouldn't hurt. That won't happen again.

4. majandra

I normally test her first thing in the morning, feed, and test roughly 12 hrs later, then feed. And if I am home I try to get another test in.

5. Kris & Teasel

You can only do what you can do within the bounds of your work/life schedule. The most essential tests are:
    • AM and PM before feeding and giving insulin (no feed for two hours before)
    • one other test either mid day or before bed.
    Those three would give you some basic information on how she's doing at a dose. You can then add in one or two more test on days off. No need to go crazy with testing but the above is what I call a basic, structured routine.

JeanW and Laura bb like this.
  6. JeanW

JeanW Member

I also was one who struggled for many many months with the idea of a regular testing routine. And had many vets tell me it was a mistake to do frequent and regular testing. They were all so wrong.

It’s a miracle I didn’t have a hypo incident or some other disaster during the many months I shot insulin blindly while thinking I was doing the right thing.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
    Kris & Teasel likes this.
  7. JeanW

JeanW Member

@Kris & Teasel - Was it doing daily morning, evening and other testing that made the difference?

8. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Happy birthday Majandra!

majandra likes this.
  9. Kris & Teasel

Could you please clarify what you mean?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.