Historic Storm

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Jill & Alex (GA), Jan 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Looks like many of you in the US will be hit hard with blizzard conditions which might dump a couple feet of snow!

Please make sure your Hypo Toolbox is well stocked and you have plenty of test strips and supplies to last for the next few days. If you lose power, try to keep your insulin cool, but be careful it doesn't freeze.

If you're a newer member, you might want to print out this info in case you lose power:

How to treat HYPOS
    Lantus & Levemir - Shooting and Handling Low numbers

Your vet's office might be forced to close for a couple of days. If kitty is feeling poorly, now is the time to see or talk to your vet if necessary.

Most of all, stay safe and warm! Keep in touch. We worry about you!

Feel free to add your own tips, questions, or concerns to this thread.

Josie & Ripley (GA) likes this.
  2. Paula

Paula Well-Known Member

How can you keep insulin cool? Are there containers for this?

3. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

There are containers for the insulin. I forget what they are called but look on ADW.com . I think they are made by Frio.

Paula likes this.
  4. Do you have any of those soft gel freezer packs? When I got Bob's insulin it was in a small Styrofoam cooler with a couple of freezer packs. They kept it cool for 48 hours or so. The vial itself was in bubble wrap, I guess to keep the insulin itself from freezing?
    In a pinch, I'd use a soft freezer pack in a large insulated mug or small thermos.

Paula likes this.
  5. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

In a small cooler with one of those frozen gel packs. Just make sure you wrap the insulin with a towel/cloth/paper towel. You don't want the two touching. Depending on how cold it is outside you might be able to put the cooler on a deck, in the yard, or even in the garage.

If you can manage to keep your refrigerator closed as much as possible you might be able to simply leave it in the fridge.

Frio makes some nice cooling cases: http://www.frioinsulincoolingcase.com/
    It's too late to order now, but a local drug store might have them or something comparable.

6. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Failing that you don't have a frozen gel pack and you can't get out to buy one, if you have bubble wrap or anything to insulate your insulin (even several layers of newspaper, put ice (or snow -- since you'll have a lot of that) in the bottom of a cooler. Put a layer (or several) of plastic or put the wrapped pens or vial in a freezer bag on top of another layer of insulation and close the container. You don't want the insulin sitting directly on the ice. It will keep your insulin dry and cool. You don't want to freeze your insulin.

Anne & Zener GA and Paula like this.
  7. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

8. Sandy and Black Kitty

Sandy and Black Kitty Well-Known Member

9. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

I do want to add that it is important to keep your insulin cool, but don't panic of something happens and you can't keep it as cool as you would like. The pens in particular were designed to be carried around with humans. We had to leave Trix's pen out for 5 days when we lost power during Hurricane Sandy, it was was fine. Keeping them cool does extend the life significantly, but if it happens that your insulin is out for a day or so, don't immediately think you have to toss it.

Stay safe...personally, I'm hoping this storm doesn't hit!!

10. Martha and Lolly

Martha and Lolly Member

Just sawed a hole in my last cooler stuffed with straw and put it outside for the strays...;) For once it's nice that my unfinished basement is a fridge in the winter.

11. Paula

Paula Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info & wesite.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.