Hobbes Charles

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by krls, Jun 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. krls

krls New Member

Hi everyone! I’m introducing myself and my orange mess of a cat, Hobbes, in the hopes that we will soon become part of what is obviously a supportive, inspirational, and knowledgeable community.

Hobbes Charles turned 11 in March and has always been my problem child. He’s the love of my life but also kind of the bane of my existence. He’s an anger pooper, regularly eats too fast and hurls on the carpet (or rugs, blankets, clothes… anything that’s soft under the paws), and is an unholy terror whenever I take him out of the house. Having said all that, I love this cat to the moon and back and would anything to keep him happy and healthy.

Hobbes was diagnosed with chronic pancreatitis about 2 months ago after a stubborn bout of the messiest diarrhea you’ve ever seen. He was given Ursodiol/Metronidazole for the diarrhea (which we’re still on), a short-lived dose of Mirtazapine, a one-time dose of Immodium, and about a week of prednisolone. This was after routine bloodwork found a slightly elevated BG (190) – which was chalked up to his anger/stress level at being touched by a bunch of weirdos – and a strong positive fPL. After an ultrasound revealed nothing else of concern in his gut, we supplemented his dry diet with canned pumpkin and Forti Flora.

About a week ago, I noticed the presence of a few signs that started to worry me. He was drinking copious amounts of water, had a steadily decreasing appetite, and was peeing bricks. In petting him, I found his spine and hipbones to be pronounced. We made the next available appointment with his regular vet. As of approximately 36 hours ago, Hobbes was diagnosed with diabetes after his BG was found to be 440.

I worked in pet medicine for several years when I was in school. Most of that knowledge is gone, but not all, so my initial reaction was not one of surprise. Later though, I began blaming myself. I knew he was overweight and didn’t do a whole lot to increase his activity level. He’s just not the type to chase a laser pointer or a mouse on a string. He’d rather lay on his back and bat lazily at the mouse as I drag it by.

My mom sent me a link to this forum, and I’m so happy she did. I'd picture stabbing his little kitty ears and I’d just start crying. But the videos you guys post and the care with which you attend to each other has really made a huge difference in my optimism. It was never an option (for me at least) NOT to try, but this forum has made the decision easier to swallow.

Longest story in the world short, Hobbes received his first dose of 1 unit of Lantus on Tuesday (6/28). We’re still on a once daily dose, though I know that will move to twice daily soon. We’ve purchased an AlphaTrak 2 and a scale, both of which should arrive today. We’re also switching to wet food (Wellness CORE), with various degrees of success. My food-motivated cat, who would normally punch a baby in the face to get to his food, is suddenly uninterested in eating, even when offered his usual dry (Blue). The pumpkin is totally out of the picture, by the way.

Anyway, I know how important food is, especially when giving insulin, so it’s definitely at the forefront of my thinking that I need to get him to eat. It’s not as though he’s eating nothing, he’s just eating less than half of what he *should* be eating. My husband and I grow our own catnip, which is a trick we’ve employed lately to stimulate his energy and appetite. This is also met with varying degrees of success.

The only question I have, outside of my general dismay at the food situation, is really a scheduling question. I work long days, so I’m usually out of the house by 730 AM and I don’t usually get home until 730 PM. Given that, I’m unsure exactly how we’re going to manage testing, feeding, and his shot(s). What is a typical schedule for you and your pets? If this is a question better posed in the General Health forum, or even the Lantus forum, just let me know.

Thank you again for being such a valuable resource. I learned a lot yesterday just by perusing this forum and the links you all have provided to each other and to the community. I really want to thank you all for being available and helpful.

Best,

Kristen (and Hobbes)
    tigre2.jpg tigre3.jpg

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Welcome
    It is best for twice dosing of lantus or Levemir is to dose every 12 hours. However, it looks like your schedule does not that and you will likely have 11.5/12.5 hour dosing or 11/13 hour dosing. A couple of years ago I was on an 8/16 hour schedule on the weekend because of work and my cats, some of whom were on Lantus did fine. Just try to keep as close to 12/12 as you can.
    I take BG reading, then feed, and then shot. For my Patches II I shoot her when she is finishing her food since it is easier to give shots when she is distracted. The whole process take me about an hour with three diabetic cats and four non-diabetic cats. None of my cats get all their food at one times since some are hogs and eat too fast and if I gam them all their food at one they would/have regurgitated the food.

You have the food and home testing under control.
    We test before each shot and periodically between shots. We record our reading and other info in a spreadsheet. See:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/

Here is a link to home testing blood sugarhttp://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/hometesting-links-and-tips.287/

For other specific quests please post in the Health forum
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/feline-health-the-main-forum.28/

3. krls

krls New Member

Both of mine are absolute pigs. You can see the smaller one in the background of one of the pictures. They're so rude to each other.

My husband works from home, so we could do 12/12, but I'd feel guilty if he's always getting stuck with testing/shots. We'll work something out, I'm sure. And I'm definitely getting that spreadsheet together. I figured it's more meaningful data once I'm actually, actively home testing.

Thank you so much for responding!

4. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Welcome Kristen and Hobbes! Both your babies are adorable! For eating, have you tried warming the food a bit and stirring it up maybe with a bit of water added? My cat isn't overly fond of some Wellness flavors so when he refuses one, I mix a little Fancy Feast Classic in it and he gobbles it up! Lantus is really better if dosed twice daily. Have you checked out the stickies in the Lantus forum? There is tons of info in them. Read through and ask any questions in Health Forum or the Lantus Forum.
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/lantus-glargine-levemir-detemir.9/

5. krls

krls New Member

Thank you, Sharon, for responding and for the compliments. :cat:

We are warming the food up slightly. Hobbes really liked the Chicken/Turkey/Chicken Liver variety of Wellness. He was not as fond of the Blue Buffalo Chicken Feast (minced). I fed him Blue Buffalo Turkey (pate) this morning, which he ate okay-ish. The consistency of the Turkey Feast from Blue and the Chicken Liver from Wellness is very similar. I guess I'm learning that he enjoys pate. Cats, man.

I found a very helpful link to working and 12/12 BG testing here:

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...ion-possible-with-a-full-time-job-yes.129378/

Slowly but surely I'm accumulating a lot of data. The stickies are VERY helpful.

In re: twice daily dosing, my vet said that we will move that way, probably as early as tomorrow. I think he was more concerned with Hobbes' lack of appetite and getting a routine started. For the record, our vet is just the kitty's pajamas.

6. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Hobbes is a smart kitty! The Pates are generally the best for diabetics, stay away from any foods with gravy. Check the labels for any starches such as rice and tapioca. Glad you have a good relationship with your vet! That can be priceless.

7. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB.
    Check my signature link Secondary Monitoring Tools for some additional assessments you may find helpful in evaluating your cat.

8. Ruby&Baco

Ruby&Baco Well-Known Member

Hi Kristen and Hobbes and welcome!
    Loveeeeee the pictures:joyful:

9. krls

krls New Member

Thank you to both BJM and Ruby (and Baco!) for responding! I appreciate the link and the kind words.

I'm accumulating a ton of data and trying to get this spreadsheet in order. Hobbes is eating a little better, and the tests are getting easier for us. There was a lot of crying (mostly by me) the first couple of days, but we're getting there. His numbers seem to be improving, as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.