Holly and Jax

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Holly1988, Jan 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Holly1988

Holly1988 New Member

Hello everyone. My name is Holly and my cat Jax was diagnosed with FD last Monday. We had noticed an obsession with water and he was constantly crying for more. When I took him to the vet he had 1000mg of glucose in his urine and a BG of 431. We started insulin that day. He gets 2 units prozinc 2x a day. The vet never mentioned home testing but I have purchased the items and someone who volunteers at the local shelter is coming to teach me. At first I struggled with giving the shots but it is getting better. He is mainly eating M/D wet. He does have access to totw dry due to our other cats eating it but he rarly eats any. We go back to the vet on Thursday to make adjustments.

JanetNJ likes this.
  2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Welcome! I am glad that you plan to home test. It is really the only way to manage this and keep your baby safe. Post any questions you have on the main health forum, and you will get a lot of great advice and support.

3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Welcome! So glad you are going to test at home! I have a video in my signature showing how I test my cat CC. Keep that dry away from him. The wet dm is low in carb, but expensive and no better then grocery store foods. Most of us feed fancy feast classic or Friskies pate foods.

4. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Welcome Holly and Jax. There is a lot of good information on this site. And lots of people to help you too. Some people end up relying on helpers in this forum to help them with adjustments - entirely optional to you.

Kudos to you for taking care of your diabetic kitteh. Also for getting the BG (blood glucose) test kit.

5. Sarah Smith

Sarah Smith Member

Welcome Holly and Jax!

6. Tina and Gracie (GA)

Tina and Gracie (GA) Member

Hi Holly and Jax and welcome!

Kudos to you for getting the testing kit. I didn't buy it at first, and I was hesitant, as my vet didn't mention it. It wasn't until I started reading posts that I discovered it wasn't really an option, but a necessity.

As @FurBabiesMama said you can post in the main forum, or you can come over to the Prozinc-land board and get advice. Lots of great people there to help you.

Best of luck to you!

Critter Mom likes this.
  7. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.