Home BG Testing

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by geneTrisky, Feb 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. geneTrisky

geneTrisky New Member

Hi I am brand new to this site. My male cat was diagnosed last Wednesday 2/13 as diabetic. He was drinking lots of water and urinating alot. His BG was 530. Dr wanted to satrt insulin right away the next day. I was overwhelmed and said no. Next day I did some reading online and have switched his diet from Purina One dry to expensive Wellness cans which are very low in carbs (2-3%) I also bought a BG meeter at Walmart for humans. From what I have seen online the place on the body to prick is the ear. I have not been able to get blood yet. I have tried 3 times. Yesterday Sunday 2/17 I went to a Pet Smart (dont ever go there to the Banfield vet office). I got a glucose test done and his sugar came down to 383 in just the 3 days. The amount of drinking has decreased greatly on the canned food. The amount of urine in the litter box has dropped as well.

Anyone near Pittsburgh Pa that could show me how to test?

Thanks

Gene

2. dian and wheezer

dian and wheezer Well-Known Member

Re: Diabetic Cats in Need--Sharing Resources

gene. can you start a new post so you can get some attention. label it help with BG testing in PGH area. there are a few of us here

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.