? Home made syrup - sugar content/ml - how much to administer in case of hipo?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Manu & Porto, Jul 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Manu & Porto

Manu & Porto Member

Hi all.
    My cat has IBD also and I just purchased glucose 33% for giving him in case of hipo because the syrup really bothered his tummy, causing immediate diarrhoea and thus also preventing his BG to rise. Im thinking the glucose may be smoother for his tummy.
    What I have an issue with is the conversion, I know how many teaspoon sugar are in 100 ml of glucose but what I do not know is how much does a home made syrup contain (for ex. for 100 ml of water, how many sugar teaspoons are added) and how many ml of that syrup do you administer your kitties when going hipo?
    I really hope someone can help with some advice. He is not hipo right now but I like to be ready for if it comes.
    Thank you so much!

2. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

What syrup were you using? I've used both Kayro and honey for impending Hypo. Are you just putting a dab on the gums?

3. Manu & Porto

Manu & Porto Member

Hi, I dont know what Kayro is, dont have access to these brands, we are in Europe. Im not puttin a dab on the gums, would that be enough?

4. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Karo is just a brand name for corn syrup

Noah & me (GA) likes this.
  5. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

That depends on the weight of the cat, how low the meter reading and what you consider a dab. I've never had a cat go into full Hypo, just low enough to be watched so I put a tiny bit on a fingertip and wipe that on the gums somewhere where he cannot wipe it away with a paw. That's not very scientific. It's always better to put a little too much on than not enough.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.