Home Testing Help - Unbelievable!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Teresa and Poopy, Dec 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Teresa and Poopy

Teresa and Poopy Well-Known Member

Alrighty, I need help. Poopy, diagnosed Saturday with diabetes, does not like having his ears "mauled", as he sees it. Even gently stroking them has him giving me the evil eye. He much prefers to perch on my lap with the occasional head, shoulders, or neck rub, sans the ears. Given all this, I did still manage to stick him...but didn't get enough blood to test.

Please tell me there's an easier way to do this. I am terrified testing will have him start running from me when it's time for his shots. Maybe I'm just freaking out.

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Re: Home Testing Help - A newbie is in the house

It does get easier - promise! If he will let you touch his ears at all, you can work with stroking them along with his head - without the poke. Find a place you want to test - a blanket or chair and have that be your place to snuggle, ears included. Include a snack! After he gets the idea that the place equals some loving and a snack, you can add back in the poke. If the ears are really a no go, people do poke their paws. If that is what you decide will work best, you might add that to your subject line.

Two things that really helped us (besides the snacks) were heating the ear and a large enough lancet. You can use a rice sack (thin sock filled with raw rice and heated until very warm but not hot in microwave.) See if holding it next to his ear can become part of your special time. Or a small prescription bottle filled with hot water works. Most meters come with 30-31 gauge lancets. New diabetics do better with 25-27 gauge at first - they make a bigger hole.

if you want, include your city and state. Maybe we have someone who lives nearby who could give you some hands on help.

3. Teresa and Poopy

We are in Kansas City, KS.

Poopy will not, under any circumstances, allow anyone to touch his feet...or belly. He's been that way since a kitten, and one of the reasons the vet has to sedate him to examine him - that and Poopy tries to retaliate.

Don't get me wrong - he's a very loving cat, with certain boundaries he expects to be honored. LOL

I'll try increasing his ear involvement during his lovings, and also read to include all the paraphernalia sans the needle. Maybe that will give me time to chill over all this as well. :)

I am so glad you folks are here. I don't feel so alone. :)

4. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Additional, supplemental monitoring tactics to blood testing include:

1) urine test strips (pharmacy, in diabetic supplies) for glucose - if its coming out of the urine, the diabetes is not controlled yet
    2) urine test strips (pharmacy, in diabetic supplies) for ketones - high ketones may indicate developing ketoacidosis, a potentially fatal condition
    3) measuring the amount of water drunk (measure what you put out, subtract what remains after a given time, and record the amount and number of hours)
    4) th 5 Ps - peeing, poohing, purring, playing, preening (grooming)
    5) any other regularly observed behavior that changed when he became diabetic
    6) weight - when the diabetes is controlled, weight loss (if underweight) should stop, and healthy weight begin to return

Note that these are indirect indicators of diabetic status, and in the case of urine testing, reflect what was happening a few hours previously.

Always treat with a low carb treat after before, during, and after a testing session, whether or not you are successful. Use of neosporin ointment with pain relief may help reduce irritation with pricking the ear.

5. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

another possibility is to have a patch shaved - you can test somewhere else on the body if you can get to the skin.

6. Teresa and Poopy

Great ideas and alternatives! Thank you!

He does seem to be getting better. I have four pets, two cats and two dogs. I noticed the water intake increase but figured it was due to the heater coming on and the pets drinking a bit more. The litter box is also hard to judge who is doing what. The water intake has lessened and Poopy isn't losing the weight like before. It may be wishful thinking but it seems he's starting to put a bit back on. He's also more active and engaged now.

I'd like to be able to test him to be sure, though. :)

Thank you all again for being here. :)

7. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

i want to super encourage you to stick with it. part of what you're experiencing right now is what everybody experiences. the ears take about 2 weeks of poking before they grow more capillaries. until that point you are likely to not get blood every time. someone suggested the "3 pokes-you're out" plan to me. we tried 3 times and then gave a treat whether or not there was any blood.

we went through that and now i have gushers nearly every time. so that part will get better just by you sticking with it.

as far as the handling goes, that's also something that he will get more accustomed to as you do it. if you're using a lancet device, click it often near his head so he gets desensitized to the noise when you're not trying to test him.

i put a flashlight under punkin's ear - as goofy as it was i used packing tape to put it in the opening of a spice bottle, then the spice bottle inside his ear. that let me see what capillaries were there. i'll see if i can find a picture of it - i used it for a month or two until i had it down and it really did help.

hee hee can't believe i found it. see if rigging up something like this helps you aim.

[​IMG]

i know you shouldn't regularly hit the vein, but if i felt desperate i did. i didn't want to shoot punkin without knowing that he was safe. i wouldn't give insulin to my child without testing and i didn't want to risk this sweet little kitter, either. so sometimes i went for the vein. whether you hit the vein or elsewhere, make sure you apply pressure afterwards to stop the bleeding so it doesn't bruise. also, neosporin ointment with pain relief is incredible. i put a generous amount on at the end of the day and it helps the ear heal by morning. i tried it on some cat scratches on my foot and it really is amazing.

when i started i wrote a post much like yours. people told me that their cat would come on its own to the testing spot. i was pulling punkin out from under the furniture and then burrito-ing him in a beach towel to be able to test. i thought no way would he ever be one of those - but he is. he comes and ASKS to be tested because he knows the treats come next. make sure you always give a tiny low carb food treat after every testing time. that's essential for him to learn to "like" the testing.

keep asking if you have more questions! we've all been there! hugs - like sue says, it truly does get easier. and the testing is what will keep him safe.

8. julie & punkin (ga)

9. Teresa and Poopy

Re: Home Testing Help - Slow Progress

I do thank you for everything! Neat get up, with the flashlight! :)

Progress so far....

I have the testing paraphernalia within reach so when Poopy decides it's time for lovings and right before he is fed, we go through the routine of head and ear rubbings, placing the lancer and meter against his ear, followed by "Good boy"s and more rubbings. He has stopped flinching and pulling against me when the paraphernalia comes close so it's progress. He still leaves my lap right after but it is progress.

Hubby is helping out by also including Poopy's ears in his lovings. One way or the other we'll get him over his protectiveness of his ears. :)

I'll add the lances this evening, without expecting to get blood each time. Progress....

10. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

FYI: some people don't use the lancet pen, they just freehand poke the ear. This means no click. It also means you can see what you are doing a bit easier. It is harder to control how deep you poke this way.

11. Teresa and Poopy

I've thought about doing the poking free hand but, as you said about depth, I'm afraid I'll go too deep.

Didn't add the lance tonight before dinner. Poopy reverted back to it being evil so we just went without the needle. Hubby offered to hold him down but I'm not sure that's such a great idea. Any thoughts on this approach?

12. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Another idea is the kitty burrito. We used it at first with Oliver. Once he got used to the routine, we didn't need it anymore. We put a towel down on the couch next to the arm. Then we wrapped him up in the towel with only his head showing. We could lightly press him into the arm of the couch so he couldn't leave until the poke was over.

13. Amanda

Amanda Member

I am one of the minority who tests via paw pad... have a mellow kitty who takes no issue with being flipped on her back. I think she enjoys the foot massage she gets before testing to get the blood flowing. ;-) I wouldn't be much help with the BG testing as a result...but if you have questions or need help with anything I am in NKC & work off the Plaza. Always happy to help if I can, I know it would have been much easier for me in the beginning if I had just had someone to show me the ropes in person. =)

14. Teresa and Poopy

Thank you. I'd forgotten about reading about the burrito. I'll have to try it. Is there a better time to test? I don't really want to poke him more than needed, if possible. I guess a big part of me fears Poopy will start to resent me, associating me with the evil poke. Is before the shot best? The vet wants me to have Poopy there four hours after his shot to test him.

While the shots are still going well, and Poopy does seem to be doing better and seems to have stopped losing weight (even hubby has noticed it), I really would feel more comfortable knowing what effects the insulin is having on Poopy.

15. julie & punkin (ga)

i just think of it like this. i'd never give my child insulin without testing. i am convinced its best for my cat. so i made my cat do it. i'm a mom, though, and i've made my kids have all kinds of things done that they didn't want to do that i was certain was in their best interest. going to the dentist for fillings, for example. it's easy when you look at it like that.

i also don't think it really hurts their ears too much. think about it - when cats get in fights their ears really get torn up. i think if it hurt punkin that much he wouldn't come to be tested, and he always comes when i call him. he's knows what's happening next. FOOD. we always give a treat or a meal after the pokes.

punkin needed to be burritoed at first too. probably for about 2 weeks we wrapped him tight in a beach towel. he looked like a, well, a kitty burrito. i pulled it snug across his front legs because he would try to wiggle out. again, i was convinced that he needed it so i made him go through it. now i call him and he comes. or he comes to the testing place and he calls me because he wants to be tested so he can eat. it just can't possibly hurt that much. we put neosporin with pain relief on his ears at the end of the day and it helps it heal overnight.

you don't have to have all of that done at the vet's. if you are hometesting you're going to get the same information at a fraction of the cost the vet would charge. probably better information because you won't have numbers that reflect stress from the vet. some cat's BG will go up as much as 100 points at the vet's.

i'm wondering what the thought is behind you having Poopy there for 4 hours of testing after the shot. Lantus often reaches its peak strength about 6 hours after the shot, although every cat is different and some peak as early as 3 hours, some as late as 8 hours. without knowing when Poopy usually has a nadir on the Lantus, i'm not sure what the 4 hours would tell. punkin would still drop after that 4 hours and Lantus dosing decisions are made by the lowest point (nadir) of the cycle. if you click on Punkin's ss in my signature line, you can see how much he drops from +4 to +6, ie, 4 or 6 hours after his shot. i would ask your vet how much that's going to cost you and for him to explain the rationale behind the 4 hours thing before you go in. most of us do not go to our vet for any of that kind of testing, but instead spend the money on strips and test at home. once you've bitten the bullet and learned it, you're going to be surprised at how easy it is.

i think, instead of it driving Poopy away from you, you're going to be surprised at how treating his illness is going to make a bond between you like you've never had before with a pet. it's pretty amazing. while i wouldn't have chosen this, i also can appreciate the relationship i have with this little furball. :D

16. Teresa and Poopy

Julie, you made me cry. I realize my selfish fears are keeping me from doing what is ultimately best for Poopy. True, doing the home testing will save me tons of money since the vet has to sedate Poopy to examine him (I guess money isn't the be all and end all for me since I'd rather have Poopy's love...so I'm not all bad. LOL). I'm just going to have to bite the bullet, burrito the bugger, and get blood samples.

As far as the vets timing, I have no doubt it is arbitrary, a starting point much like the amount of insulin to give Poopy. Of course, the vet didn't think I'd be able to give Poopy shots as it is since I can't sedate him (and have no need to thank goodness). At this point, I'm very grateful my fuzzy love let's me give him shots with no fuss. Now to tackle testing. I guess Poopy hating me for a few weeks (hopefully it won't take that long...he IS a smart cat) is worth him living a longer and healthier life. :)

I am so glad you and the others are here, Julie. It's such a relief to know there's others out there I can turn to for help and advice. Thank you.

17. ohbell

ohbell Well-Known Member

Hello Teresa & Poopy!

I just got time to read this post, and believe me, he will get better. My Bean was not a lap cat unless she wanted it. Test? hold her and love the what? ears? when I cant even get her in my lap unless, again, she wanted to be?

I took the advice from here, got no carb treats, and only offer those treats at pokey poke time. I would sit in the same spot, lay out all of the test supplies, and the intice her w/ treats to the lap. Love words, love pets, great treats. We did this routine probably more for me than her. We would put the strip in, hold the pen to the ear, and hold the small paper towel to the underside of the ear. We would warm the ear while bits of petting. We would do every bit of the routine except put the lancet in the pen. I would click the pen to her ear just so she would get used to the noise. Finally, momma found her 'big girl panties', put them on and tried with the lancet....no blood! What??? Well, we kept trying and did get that blood!!! HURRAY for us. I also found that the left ear is a better bleeder than the right!
    Something you can do as well, not for sure if it has been mentioned yet, you can scoop up the blood sample on the fingernail and test from there.

I found, once our routine was down, Bean did better cuz momma was doing better. I was soooo scared and, me too, afraid she would just absolutely HATE me for doing this. After about 1 wk., she would see me get the basket of pokey poke goodies and head for the chair. Before I could set the supplies up, she was wanting up on the lap....(treats). I am sooo glad I found this site and that everyone gently kept encouraging me to home test (vet said it was not needed). If you would like to take a look at my spreadsheet below, you will understand what I mean....(first test, she was only 27!!), unbelievable!

Now, and I totally thank everyone here, Bean is in remission!! Low carb foods & treats, home testing is what has made this happen...And only because of this forum do I think I still have my sugar girl with me.... I did make a promise to her that night of only 27, I would never ever shoot without a test first... and she thanks me everyday: her wonderful personality, her loving eyes staring up at her momma for her fuds! What a great thing!

Hang in there, keep practicing and your Poopy will thank you every day of his life! .

Furry paw hugs coming your way: Merry Christmas

18. Teresa and Poopy

Progress! While Poopy absolutely hates the burrito, and the stick, he loves his lovings and treats. I do have to give kudos to hubby. While the pets are mine, and my responsibility, he has been so helpful in holding the burrito while I warm then stick Poopy's ear. Thank you hubby dear. :)

Finally got a bit of blood this evening but it wasn't enough to test. Onward! Good to know about being able to scoop up the blood in a fingernail. That will be so much easier!

I feel like the Little Train That Could...I can do this...I can do this....I can do this.

And I KNOW I couldn't be doing this without all of you. Thank you...thank you...thank you!

19. harrysmom

harrysmom Member

Not sure if anyone suggested this yet but did you pick up some antibiotic ointment (not cream)with pain reliever? Put a small amount(thin layer) on the ear after heating before poking and that will help the blood pool and not just spread into the fur. I tried a few times without it but found I had a hard time getting enough blood and Harry has been a pretty good bleeder from the start.

Good Luck!!!
    Sharon

20. ohbell

ohbell Well-Known Member

Sending choo chooo haha_smiley thoughts your way :lol:

21. Teresa and Poopy

Having successful burrito pokes, but still not enough blood to test. Poopy still isn't happy about it all but seems to be struggling less, and runs for the treat bowl afterward. Progress. :)

22. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Moving in the right direction :razz:

Are you sure getting his ear nice and warm? If you poke and don't get enough blood, you can double poke - a quick second poke in the same hole. You can also aim for the vein the first time. You will probably get too much blood but it should work. (Have you tried putting a flashlight behind his ear? Then you can see where to aim. The big vein runs down the ear. You are really aiming for the smaller capillaries that run from the vein to the edge of the ear. But hitting the vein won't hurt at first. Just hold it for a few seconds afterward.)

Lots of us had trouble at first. We poked poor Oliver for an entire weekend without getting a drop. Heating the ear and a larger lancet really did the trick for us!

23. Teresa and Poopy

Still getting a tiny drop of blood, but not enough to test, when I burrito, heat and poke. Trying a larger lancet may do the trick.

Am taking Poopy to the vet today to get a good test, and to weigh him, and talk with them to see if home testing friendly. I called around last week and found a vet who is open to home testing but have been taking Poopy to the same vet for years. If they are not home testing friendly, I'll switch vets.

I really appreciate all of you for being so open, helpful, and friendly. What on earth would I do without you? :)

24. julie & punkin (ga)

i'm just seeing your updates - you're doing great! truly, the blood drops will come with practice and time. it's so annoying when you first get the poke successfully, and then NO BLOOD! it's like "good grief!!!!" the fingernail trick is a good one. i also hit the vein at first on purpose if i'd tried twice without blood. the third time i'd get the vein and then make sure to hold it so it doesn't bruise. another trick is to massage after the poke - sorta do it like you're moving the blood towards the poked spot.

i didn't mean to make you cry - i am convinced that WE have to be convinced that it's necessary to master the testing in order to be able to "put on your big girl panties" and do it. none of us want to do any of it, but truly, it has given me an incredible bond with punkin that i've never had with a pet before. one hand takes but the other hand gives . . .

so hang in there, little engine that could, and before we know it you're going to be encouraging other newbies. :D :YMHUG:

25. Teresa and Poopy

Poopy is still at the vet but thought I'd post anyway. The vet remarked it looks like Poopy has gained some weight. Woohoo! Me noticing it I could chalk up to wishful thinking. Hubby noticing it was encouraging. The vet noticing...I'm thrilled!

On the other hand, the vet's response to if he is home testing friendly and his discussion with me about food (he really, really wants Poopy on Science Diet W/D - he didn't even ask me what I'm feeding Poopy!) I can tell it's time to switch vets. "You can home test if you really have a desire to, perhaps once every three months or so, after we get him regulated..." and "You can't trust everything you read on the internet" and so on. I don't think so! I didn't have the heart to tell the guy I've done research, reputable at that...even published two papers while still an undergrad, so I just smiled and nodded. You can only converse with a closed mind when you agree with them, and I don't agree with him.

And, Julie, making me cry wasn't a bad thing. You helped me get past my fears and to focus more on Poopy's health than on my desire for him to not be angry with me. That was a very good thing and I am thankful. :D

26. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Angry Poopy? Nah....they get used to the pokies quickly. He'll quickly start reminding YOU when it's test time 'cos it means treats. We switch between freeze=dried liver and freeze=dried chicken....

BIG HUGS!!!

27. Teresa and Poopy

Woot! Poopy gained 1 lb. 3 oz. in 9 days! His blood sugar was 233 (was 404 last Saturday when diagnosed) about 4 - 5 hours after his shot this morning and still has sugar in his urine. No ketones. Woohoo! Progress!

Vet wants me to up the dose from 1 unit of ProZinc twice a day to 2 units twice a day. Also said it's normal for cats to be getting 3 units per shot. Hmmmm....will have to see what happens with the home testing and other vet. Good thing I'm off work this week and can watch Poopy closely. Off to the store for some more lances and urine strips. :smile:

28. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Teresa, can we get a spreadsheet set up for you? You can sign onto Goggle, choose templates nd then search for FDMB spreadsheet. The directions for how to use it are here:

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=18207

It's kind of tricky, so if you need help, just ask. It will make your dosing questions so much easier to answer when we can see your history.

We like to start low and go slow with dosing. It is the best way to avoid hypos. So we increase by only .25 or .5 units at a time. Most cats are stressed at the vet so their blood sugar numbers are higher there. Some cats 100 points higher. So it's possible that Poppy would be testing in the 100s at home and any increase could be a problem.

IMHO I would work really hard to get some numbers, and I wouldn't increase until you have his numbers at home to base doses on.

29. ohbell

ohbell Well-Known Member

What a great number at the vets! and at the vets! wow, that number could soooo drop once he is home, and over the visit! Go momma & daddy beans! Poopy gaining weight is such a great christmas presents to his parents.

I looked and looked on craigslist until I found a baby scale that was in my budget and ran like crazy to get it...did not want someone else to beat me to it ~ lol. Could not stand to wonder about the weight gain. Bean went from almost 13lb to 8 when we made it to the vet.

Please Please Please, do not increase that dosage until you get blood, vampire friend....

And you are fine with the fuds listed here....sounds like your vet was like mine. Feed what I suggest, no home testing, and increase insulin. And by no means search the internet for ANY information. For one, why in the heck would he want to increase insulin if the dosage has made his numbers come down? Thank gosh and the lord above, I did not listen to him and took the advice from this forum.

You are a much better person than me, as my vet was telling me not to home test, to feed script food and to increase insulin, although I did not verbally disagree, I did perhaps roll my eyes at him :roll: and completely shut him out the rest of the visit - heheheheheeh.....tried not to but could not help it ~ I knew I had a NEW FAMILY of FD folks that I would rush home to and post and get all the support I needed! :mrgreen:

Just wanted to add, what a great thing to read today......you are wonderful to help Mr. Poopy

Great big furry paw hugs and keep us posted on your progress!!!!!! :razz:

30. Teresa and Poopy

While the vet did say to up Poopy's dose, I'm not going to do so until I can get BG numbers at home and can make an informed decision for dosing. Doubling Poopy's dose just doesn't make good sense to me. Yes, I understood the vet when he said there is still glucose in Poopy's urine, which means Poopy likely needs more insulin...but doubling it? Pfft. I don't think so!

One thing I have on my side (besides the massive thing of you folks here, that is) is my willingness to question doctors' decisions, understanding (as I like to say it) 50% of the doctors out there were in the bottom half of their graduating class. While I didn't graduate at the top of my class, I was pretty darn near close and I studied like a fiend to get there. Way too many of my classmates skated by with barely passing grades. I am not naive enough to believe all doctors were in the top of their class. That includes vets.

Bought larger gauge lances, not the largest but larger, and scoured the store for urine glucose test strips and different treats to give the Poopster. I've been giving him extra bites of the same food he's been eating but wanted something special he only gets when poked. I finally found something without flour, grains, or sugar. You're not going to believe what it is. In the dog food aisle (yes, the dog food aisle), Waggin' Train has a product called Chicken Crispy Puffs. Ingredients? Chicken. Yep, that's it. Chicken. Freeze dried chicken squares. large enough to entice the Poopmeister, small enough for him to have a somewhat crunchy treat lasting a few chomps. When I opened the bag, Poop went nuts wanting a bite of that! After the burrito, heat and poke was done, momma gave him his treat while still burritoed. I want him to know that's the only time he gets this treat. No blood but we'll get there. I transferred the treats from the bag to an old Pounce bottle so they rattle. He loves the rattle and knows a treat is coming. :)

Had to go to another store to find the urine glucose strips. I checked with the pharmacists at both stores. Everyone kept trying to tell me I wanted ketone testing strips for urine. Ha! Even the second store tried doing that, except for one pharmacist. He saw I was serious and knew what I was asking for. Voila! No wonder I couldn't find them on the shelves! They keep them behind the counter. The strips test for both ketones and glucose. The ones out on the shelves, ketones only. Might be a handy tidbit for others to know.

Now, to follow Poopy around until he goes tinkle...if he'll do it with me around. A long time ago I put the litter boxes (I have two since two cats) in a quiet corner of the basement (and leave a small watt bulb burning 24/7 - my other cat is afraid of the dark) because neither would go if I or the dogs were nearby and possibly watching. And I can't blame them. I'm not fond of being watched either. With that said, the other day Poopy didn't wait for me to leave the area when he urinated so I'm hopeful he'll let me near again.

I do plan on using a spreadsheet for Poopy's results but figured it wouldn't be useful until I start getting BG results at home. Should I start now with the vets results? I'll check out the link and get one started with his basic information.

31. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Look at you - spreadsheet up and ready for some pretty numbers!

The treats sound great. Now for the blood! I know I keep saying this but are you sure you are warming the ear long enough? Some kitties take minutes of heat. And remember, you can always hit the vein.

Good for you for doubting the vets advice. it's just too risky shooting blind. You will feel so much more confident about the right dose once you get numbers at home.

32. Teresa and Poopy

When hubby gets home (about 8:30 pm) I'll have him hold the burrito so I can get a better look at where I'm poking. I am bound and determined to get a reading! Argh! (That's my imitation of a vampire seeking blood, even if it does sound a bit like a pirate instead. :D )

33. Lisa & Jax

Lisa & Jax Member

Just visualizing this. Too cute for words.

Glad you are making some progress with the Poopster. I think the association of getting a treat after the poke will help you. I hope you get some blood from Poopy soon!

34. Teresa and Poopy

I've burritoed Poopy twice since returning from the store and no blood. I've heated the ear, shined the flashlight through the ear to find the vein (he has a healthy looking vein running just along the outer rim), poked him twice both times and still no blood. I get better results when hubby holds him so will try again when he comes home.

This last go round, Poopy managed to withdraw into the burrito like a turtle after the second poke. It was so cute when momma put the chicken treat in her hand and the Poopmeister poked his head out to eat his treat and get lovings. He's now chomping on dinner and will get the standard 1 unit shot in a bit. I WILL get blood when hubby gets home. I will!

Question...should i be poking inside the ear where there's less fur, or outside of the ear? I've been poking the inside.

35. ohbell

ohbell Well-Known Member

Hurray for you ~ keep trying! Bean will not bleed on the right ear, might want to try another ear. And yes, I have heard of inside the ear for those extra fuzzy kiddos. When you say you got larger lancets, you did go down in the number? I think I have 26 - largest and 31 - smallest....Sure you already know this.

I had a wonderful vision of Poopy in his burrito! Treats are great! I bought from the dog isle as well from a suggestion from here, cheaper per oz. I just pinch off smaller sizes for the 2 girls. 3rd girl, Slappy, no goo....you want me to eat what??? no thanks, lol.

Have you any neosporin ointment? Use that and smear small amount along that outer edge after heating and it will help keep blood in one area, or you could shave :eek: that spot too - eeeks, sorry Poopy, all for you son. I also got some neosporin w/ pain ointment per suggestion from here too.

After burritoing Civvie Slappy for about 4 weeks at least once a day for dropper feeding, now - no burrito, just hold her close to me, use dropper a couple of times and she is more than happy to eat on her own.....lol (silentyly - no need for her to hear mommabean laughing). Perhaps he will get used to the routine, and will not want or need a burrito, but will want those special treats!

YOU ARE DOING ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL! ;-)
    Let us know how it is going!

36. ohbell

ohbell Well-Known Member

oh, I forgot to say that I also turned that pen dial that went from 1-9 to an 8 or 9. If 8 did not work the first poke, I would quickly turn it to 9 (highest) and try again. just fyi
    You could put your info in spreadsheet: vet, what you feed and at what times, the times you have tried for bloood - vampire talk - anything you would like to record.
    Just saw your original post, what a beautiful Poopy you have!
    Have you thought about posting where you are located and see if someone would lend a hand for pokey poke training? I know when I was trying to burrito Slappy, someone from my area from this forum offered to help, and boy was I glad. Thinking the whole time, Slappy will NEVER let you close to her, I was wrong!
    Only a thought :idea:

37. jose and tracy

jose and tracy Member

This post totally gave me flashbacks to my first days. I just knew i would never get blood. my jose' is a total lapcat, doesn't mind her ears being rubbed, didn't mind being jabbed, but i could NOT get the blood to come. until i stopped using the lancet pen & went free hand - BINGO. yes, i had used the flashlight, rice sock, etc) she would sit on my lap and let me stab her a dozen times & still no blood. the lancet pen did not work for us.

also, jose' cannot be examined by the vet unless doped, but at home such an agreeable, sweet girl!. i have not managed to control her weight so give her "spa treatments" at least twice a day - more if necessary. & she just rolls over onto her back, kicks her legs in the air & lets the cornstarch & combing commence.

don't give up on the ear stabbing. i was convinced i would never get it. i don't even worry about where exactly i am stabbing her - if i get a drop or drops all over the carpet i have a sample.

my first post here was only six weeks ago...you are obviously dedicated to poopy; you will get there.

you have found a wonderful community.

38. julie & punkin (ga)

good for you for hanging in there! punkin got stabbed in his left ear while i was learning. i went from the outside (back part) of his ear. after i kinda got the hang of it i moved to his right ear. i think i probably scarred the left ear some in my learning cuz it doesn't bleed as well now. i only use the right ear now.

fwiw, my husband didn't want anything to do with the whole diabetes injecting/poking parts. he was willing to help hold punkin, however. so he sat next to me and held punkin for about 6 weeks. finally he said he'd try poking. he mastered that and eventually after holding a flashlight so i could see, said he'd try shooting. :D so the hubby that didn't want anything to do with it now does it all like an old pro. :lol: :lol: :lol:

patience is everything! :D :D

39. Teresa and Poopy

Julie, you give me hope. :) And thank you Momma Bean and Tracy. :smile:

My mom and I have a trip planned for June (the first summer I will be off work due to my new job). As it is right now, we know we either won't be able to go or will have Poopy in tow. Hubby poking and giving shots? Never even thought to dream of the possibility. True, it may never happen but now I can at least hope. :smile:

I have the pen set on the highest setting, to poke the needle out at it's full length possible. If I can't get blood my first poke tonight with hubby's help, i'll remove the cap and do freehand. (Ewwww...just the thought of that makes me squeamish.) I can do this...I can do this...I can do this!

Poopy's right ear seems to bleed better (hardly any blood at all from left, a teeny, tiny drop from right) so I'll concentrate on the right tonight with hubby's help. Or is it the other way around? Ah jeez. Maybe adding this info to the spreadsheet will help me keep it straight. :smile:

The lances had the terms Ultra thin - thinnest, Ultra thin, and alternative testing sites as well as numbers. The thinnest is what my brother gave me so I picked up the Ultra thin this go round. Can't remember the numbers on the packages (the one's my brother gave me were in a small bag without any numbers but look just like the thinnest Ultra thins) but think they were 26, 30, and 33 respectively. The one's I bought say 30g. The needle looks bigger than the ones I had but I could be wrong.

40. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Try the 26s, Tracey. The larger the number, the smaller the hole.

41. ohbell

ohbell Well-Known Member

Doing gooood, BREATH....it does help! :shock:

42. Teresa and Poopy

I just want to cry. Three pokes each in both ears (one was free hand) and nothing except a howling Poopy. He wouldn't even eat his treat. But I won't give up. I'll just keep at it, but will limit it to two pokes each ear. Three is just too much for all of us. This will get better. It will.

I do see where I have poked him before, with the flashlight. He has some red spots, probably bruising. I sure hope the antibiotic ointment helps him heal and it's not hurting him.

I am trying to not feel so much a failure but as progress is happening...his ears being encourage to produce more blood.

43. Squeaky and KT (GA)

It's OK Teresa - Poopie's NOT going to hold it against you! Patience is the answer - you're doing WONDERFUL!!! In another week, you'll be grinning at Tracy's comments above.... :D It gives us ALL a grin because we ALL arrived here saying "I'm not sure I can do this", "My cat's gonna hate me", "I can't get blood"...and many more feelings. Shortly, you'll look back and realize it wasn't so hard after all......

BIG HUGS! Tears are allowed if they help but don't let them turn into a pity party....no need for THAT!

44. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Teresa,

Definitely need a break for the night. Treats for Poopy and you.

After you have taken some deep breaths and had your treat, can you run us through what you are doing? From beginning to end. Maybe there are some tweaks we can suggest that will help.

Wish we had someone in Kansas City to come help.I have asked around but haven't found anyone.

45. Teresa and Poopy

Alrighty....had a chance to catch my breath. Hubby says we're not hurting Poopy, that he doesn't like being in the burrito and the clicking of the pen. *Sigh*

Here goes the routine -
    I lay out the supplies, load the pen and cock it.
    I check the strip to be sure it's a good one (have had a few err out on me and definitely don't want a bad one when I do get blood) then remove it from meter so meter doesn't shut off.
    I heat the rice sock for 30 seconds in the microwave.
    As the rice sock is heating up, I find Poopy (usually under the bed when it's a couple hours after eating).
    Hubby is getting the towel ready to receive Poopy.
    Poopy and I get the rice sock out of the microwave.
    Hubby and I burrito Poopy and I heat his ear.
    While heating the ear, i also massage it.
    After I can feel the warmth in my fingers (I have cold hands) and Poopy's ear is real warm, I shine the flashlight through Poopy's ear.
    I aim the lance towards the vein in the ear and click.
    I massage Poopy's ear below the poke point and check for blood.

There's usually a spot, more like a tiny hole that's red where I poked him.
    The two times I've gotten a tiny bit of blood, I've loaded the strip in the meter and touched the strip to the blood droplet. The strip soaks it up but it's not enough for the meter to register. I know the meter works as I've used it on myself to test it. BTW, my BG was 111.

I am open for ANY suggestions. :smile:

I know I've only been poking for a few days (it feels like forever) and Poopy's ears may need longer to develop enough capillaries for me to get enough blood for testing.

46. Sue and Oliver (GA)

It sounds like you are doing things right.

You might use the flashlight to see where you want to poke and then put a little tiny smear of Vaseline in that spot. Sometimes it helps the blood bead up.

Does the lancet have a cover on it? We took ours off and were able to see the lancet and put it right where we wanted it.

Have you tried poking twice in the same spot? A real quick second poke.

Are you using the 26 gauge lancets?

You are doing a great job hanging in there. (wish we had a smilie with that kitty hanging down...). It will happen. Keep breathing and giving treats (for everyone)

47. jose and tracy

jose and tracy Member

oh, teresa, i feel like i am reading my own words! i think it took me ten days to get it. & i had all of your problems - tiny bits of blood, bad test strips if i did get blood, meter with dead battery. i was ready to go back to shooting blindly. and then it happened. this is what worked for me: no lancet pen. no flashlight except the one in my mouth to see in general (along with my reading glasses). i tried the flashlight to backlight & the rice sock. to no avail. a firm jab, that was our secret.

and i know if i put jose' in a burrito she would still shred me with those fierce kitty teeth! i would not have had the stomach or backbone for it - kudos to you. our morning and evening routine has been (even before the ear stabbing) she gets her spa treatment & then gets in my lap for an hour or more. we call it saddled up. i do the testing and shooting when she is in my lap. maybe this routine gave me an advantage. actually, the ONLY time she doesn't mind me messing with her ear is when she is saddled up. maybe there is a time or spot that would better suit poopy. i thought i could "sneak" up on jose while she was eating, but she will have none of it.

do no give up. it will happen. i was at my ropes end - really! crying to my husband, whining on this mb. good luck!good luck! & poopy loves you still.

48. Teresa and Poopy

Sue and Tracy, I really appreciate your support, and others who have chimed in to help too! I know I won't give up. I can't. I can't give up on the Poopster. I am hanging on to this roller coaster ride and will one day be able to laugh instead of scream. :YMSIGH:

I know I'm rather impatient. If I'm doing everything the way it's supposed to be done, then I should get results immediately, right? LOL It doesn't always work that way, does it? I know better but still have impatience. Wait...I'll blame it on the howl. Yeah! That's it! The howl!

I've probably been hitting just off the vein, only nicking it the twice I got a bit of blood. My perseverance will one day reach blood! I know it will get better because I'm not the only one who has had to go through these trials. Thank you all for being here. :YMHUG: BTW, one ear (the right) has a pitch fork type option of veins, one up the middle and one on each edge of the ear. The left seems to have only the two edges. I always knew he was a special kitty. Both ears have the red, bruising type spots from previous attempts.

I did have someone in the area say they would try to help. I'll have to go back through my posts to find it. My major concern is how Poopy is with others. Even when hubby came into the picture Poopy didn't want a thing to do with him. Thankfully he's a patient man and Poopy decided he wasn't all bad after a year or so. :smile: Now Poopy perches on hubby's lap most often when he has the option as daddy's lap is bigger, not to mention warmer! Poopy is fine if he gets to observe but not so fine when others try to love on him or handle him. Talk about ferocious kitty teeth! My son says Poopy is a cross between a saber tooth and domestic cat. Poopy has huge canines. Thankfully they aren't as sharp as my other kitty's (she's a mite smaller than half of Poopy's former glory - 8 lbs. versus 20 lbs. isn't even close to a fair fight, eh?) and don't usually pop through the skin. But they do hurt. I've been on the wrong end of those things a time or two! So I'm not so sure I'd really get that much help if Poopy is going to go all battle mode with a stranger.

I am thankful, and relieved, Poopy still gives me lovings and let's me give him shots. One day he will do the same about pokey pokes. Speaking of pokey pokes, it's that time. Maybe I'll get lucky this time, maybe not. Perseverance will pay off!

Thank you all yet again. :D

49. ohbell

ohbell Well-Known Member

I know you are probably doing this but something you did not mention in your routine.... make sure you are holding a towelett on the underside/opposite to give you something firm to poke against??? Let us know....
    I take a paper towel strip and fold it several times to fit in the ear - she dont really like that part, guess it tickles.... But, there has to be something firm to poke against.... GOOOOOD LUCK, DOING GREAT

50. Teresa and Poopy

You know, I was thinking along those lines myself! No, I haven't been putting anything against the opposite side of the ear and one of the things I've been thinking about was the ear being so flexible the needle is just barely breaking skin...not enough to draw blood to the surface. Going to try the folded paper towel! Great idea!

51. Teresa and Poopy

Re: Home Testing Help - Success at Last!

Hallelujah! Not only did I get blood, it was enough to test! WOOT! WOOT! WOOT!

No burrito (just tucked hips under my elbow so no easy escape and stroked with free hand while Poopy laid across my lap)
    Warmed and massaged ear
    Placed folded paper towel inside ear
    Poked outside ear near outside edge
    Scooped up that beautiful drop of blood with my fingernail while stroking Poopy with other hand
    Let Poopy "escape" to run to food bowl bcatrun_gif
    Placed strip in meter and sucked that beautiful blood right up!
    PMPS 243!
    Fed the Poopster and now hear I am!

WOOHOO! Doing happy dance! :RAHCAT flip_cat dancing_cat party_cat drinking24

Thank you all so very, very much! I feel like crying. :D

52. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Fantastic! Welcome to the Vampire Club. :RAHCAT :RAHCAT (secret decoder ring will arrive soon. :mrgreen: )

Not a bad number. Where in the cycle?

53. Sue and Oliver (GA)

And then I realize I can look it up on your spreadsheet which you already have!

I would stick with the one unit for tonight. It would be very helpful to get a number around mid cycle (5-6 hours after the shot if at all possible.) That will give us an idea on how this dose is working- how low he goes. Then we can see whether we need to adjust the dose up or down.

54. Teresa and Poopy

Yes, tomorrow Poopy will be my new little pin cushion...tested every two hours.

I am so excited!

I also posted over in the ProZinc forum, introducing the Poopster and about the vet wanting to double his dose (still doesn't make sense to me, doubling it).

And a decoder ring? WOOHOO! Jackpot!

55. Squeaky and KT (GA)

ALRIGHT! See...it didn't even TAKE that week!! GOOD JOB!

HUG!!

56. MikeysMom

MikeysMom Well-Known Member

I use a cotton ball on the front of the ear and poke Mikey on the back of the ear. The lancet pen didn't work worth beans for me; it's MUCH easier to use the plain lancet because you can see exactly where you're poking. Don't worry if you do hit the main vein; he may bruise a little, but you will get a good drop.

My cat HATES being tested (slaps me with he declawed feeties and howls like I'm killing him), but he never holds a grudge! Mikey isn't a lap cat, so I test him on the kitchen island, where the light is best. I try to alternate ears. I face him so the ear I want to poke is the outside ear, and use that arm to pin him to my side. I'm right handed, so I hold the cotton ball against his ear with my left hand and the lancet in my right. I hold him so that if he gets squirmy, he can only back up, and then he hits the end of the counter. I poke quickly and then massage the area to get the droplet. My meter takes so tiny a drop that even when I think it couldn't possibly be enough, it usually is. If I don't get enough, I aim another poke as close to the first as I can get. As soon as I have the blood, I drop the lancet and pick up the loaded meter, keeping him pinned to my side. I get the draw and let him go and give him a freeze dried chicken or shrimp treat. He's terrible, but I always get the test. If he really struggles, I scruff him for a couple of seconds and it calms him enough to finish.

57. Teresa and Poopy

Alrighty. Tomorrow is another day. Tried 3 more times tonight to get BGs and could only get too small of drops of blood to test (8, 9 and 10). At least I know it can be done and will continue on tomorrow. I've tried the multiple pokes, only twice for each ear. Still not enough blood for testing. It will get better. It helps that his numbers aren't sky high or bottom low. :)

Thankfully Poopy is also declawed (long story - I don't usually declaw my cats) so I'm not shredded meat. And he doesn't stay angry with me....who would get him his food? LOL

As I have shared before, Poopy is a smart cat. He's fine when I pick him up, but when I head to the microwave to grab the rice sock he starts talking to me. Warming his ear is a bit of a struggle but manageable. When I trade out the sock for the folded paper towel and lance pen he struggles and talks a bit more but still manageable. At least he's not fighting me tooth and...well...no nails. :)

Thank you all again for your help and support. It means the world to me...and will to Poopy too. :)

58. Sue and Oliver (GA)

You could use the rice sock as a base to poke against instead of switching over to the paper towel?

59. Teresa and Poopy

I'm not sure it's firm enough but I'm willing to give it a try :)

60. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Put more rice in it?

61. Teresa and Poopy

LOL. Now, why didn't I think of that? LOL

I will do so for his next poke session. Got blood this morning but still not enough for the meter to read. :( And I'd already poked him 4-5 times and he was an angry little kitty so we will try again in an hour two. I must have hit a vein for yesterday's number as he has a small scab in that area now. BTW, I did switch back to the larger lance. May take a trip to the store to buy the even larger ones.

I keep hearing the chant, "Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is the definition of insanity". So, I'll add rice to the sock, get bigger lances and go from there. :)

62. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Do you have have some Neosporin with pain relief for his ears, Teresa? You can put a tiny thin smear on. And holding the ears for a few seconds after poking helps with the bruising/ scabbing.

63. Teresa and Poopy

Kept with the folded paper towel as I have more control over the ear than with the rice sock (even with more rice). It helps when I can firmly hold the ear against the paper towel to get a good aim, and to keep him from escaping the grip. Massaged the lower part of the ear after the poke since it gave a bit of blood to get enough for meter to test. Woot! Success! 234 +2.5. Will test again in a couple hours.

I do put a small amount of antibiotic ointment on his ears after poking, and he grooms himself right after eating his treat. Not sure I'm comfortable with that. May switch to the cream so I can get it all rubbed in - less for him to lick off while grooming.

Progress. :smile:

64. jose and tracy

jose and tracy Member

Yeah! i had failure, failure, failure, failure, success and then failure with jose', too. & now every day success! it really did take me nearly two weeks before i was proficient consistently. i did give up on the lancet pen - it was of no use to me even with the highest/deepest setting. you will find the combination that works for you and poopy.

is that your poopster with a leash on in the avatar? i am super impressed! i have tried that with a few cats. one would curl up like she was paralyzed & let me drag her around. don't get a bad visual, she was in a harness & it was a tile floor & i only did it for a few feet. tried it several times with the same result. she beat me with her wily kitty ways. that was more than twenty-three years ago & i can still see her in that harness.

65. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Can't remember if I have mentioned the empty prescription pill bottle. Filled with hot water it warms the ear and provides a great back drop for the poke?

66. Teresa and Poopy

I'll give the pill bottle a try. :)

And, yes, that's the Poopmeister on a lead in his harness. And, yes, the lead is a coated steel cable with a dog clip. Poopy is a big boy. :D When he reaches up to me, for me to pick him up like he's a toddler, his front paws reach my upper hip/lower waist. That's reaching up well over 3 feet! BTW, he enjoys me holding him on my hip, just like a toddler, so he can see over my shoulder, or snuggle into my neck for lovings.

Just measured the Poop, as much as he'd let me...you know how inappropriate that is to do, right? Sheesh. I'm napping here, Ma!...and he's 22 inches from nose to base of tail (probably 23 or 24 since he was scrunching, trying to get me to leave him alone), and over 3 feet from nose to tip of tail.

To harness train a cat...much like getting regular BGs....takes patience and perseverance. Put the halter on and leave him alone. At first, he will flop like he's been weighted down, wounded, or embarrassed beyond belief. It also helps if you don't laugh at him. He does remember that, you know. After an hour or two, remove the halter, if you can catch him (because now he's up and moving around, trying to ignore the indignation). Put the halter on every day, and leave it on for longer durations.

Once the halter is no big deal, add the leash. Let him lay there, if he wishes, for as long as he'd like. If he'll move with it on, especially if you have a toy you can tempt him with, let him lead you around. Start to coax him where you'd like to go, and using a toy can help. Eventually, he doesn't mind the leash and will even come running when you jangle the harness as he knows he gets a trip to the great outdoors! What a treat! (Wait until he's comfortable with the harness and leash before adding the great outdoors to your forays.)

I do strongly advise to never, ever leave the cat harnessed and leashed or on a lead unsupervised. Never know when a neighbor cat or other animal will check out the phenomenon and cause trouble, or the cat getting tangled.

No luck on the BG. :sad: Will try again in a couple of hours.

67. Meowsmum

Meowsmum Member

Good luck. And good for you for being so persistant :)

I agree with getting 25-26 gauge lancets. Dont have much advice about the ear testing. We only do paw pad testing bc Meow likes to be held like a baby on my daughters lap for testing. Just sits there purring away like he is in a recliner LOL.

Keep us posted.

68. julie & punkin (ga)

ah, i'll bet it's the lack of something hard underneath his ear. i actually just put my finger there - but there's no "give" in between my finger, punkin's ear and the head of the lancet device. otherwise poopy's ear will just move away from the lancet.

truly, you're doing great. some of this isn't in your control and will simply get better as you poke. we get a gusher every time now - except the last couple of days. something's wrong with our lancet device and we're poking multiple times to get a bit of blood. it's not making contact. so these last few days (i think it went out on Christmas) have been frustrating. good reminder to me on how it was for us last spring when we started and what you're going through now.

i'm a weenie about free-handing and still prefer using the device.

69. Teresa and Poopy

The few times I've tried free hand poking have been horrible...for me as well as Poopy. I much prefer the pen, and do believe having a firm surface under his ear is the way to go. Helps with holding his ear steady, aiming, and firming the flexibility of his ears (moving away from the lance instead of giving him a good poke). Got a good BG reading moments ago (with only two pokes! Woohoo!), making sure the paper towel was firm under his ear. I'll try again in 2 hours for his PMPS, having medicine bottle ready in case I need to try it. :)

70. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Another tip - sometimes angling the lancet so its not going straight down when you poke makes it hit more capillaries and provide more blood.

I also will gently pull apart and then squeeze together the area poked to help move the blood to the surface.

You are doing great!!!

71. Teresa and Poopy

Two pokes and enough blood to test! Woohoo! I have to really be watching how I'm holding Poopy's ear and the paper towel to be sure it's a snug fit before I poke. I'm also getting better at where I am aiming, and able to now see his veins without the flashlight. Progress! :D

Great idea about the angle, too! Will have to try and remember that for the next difficult session (as I know there will be one...or six...or...).

72. Teresa and Poopy

Three pokes and enough blood to test! Woot! Would have had enough on the first two but the little Houdini Poopy squirmed at the right moment to smear them across his ear. :eek:
    +2 at 207...and the vet wanted me to double his dose. Sheesh.

73. ohbell

ohbell Well-Known Member

Teresa & Poopy Boy,

CONGRATS TO YOU!!!! Glad that you put something firm on the other side of that ear poke!!!!! I am sure this time next week, piece of cake - sugar free of course! :shock:

I have been very buzy last couple of days, soooo nice to see your progresss! great going momma & papa beans!

And very good numbers as well, thank gosh for home testing - successfully - and for NOT doubling that dose. ;-)

74. Teresa and Poopy

Poopy was NOT a happy camper this morning and really fought the pokey poke. Got a drop of blood and thought it was going to be enough so let him go. Wasn't quite enough. Darn it. Oh well....poking again at +2 and go from there. :smile:

And thank you all again for your support. I couldn't be doing this without you. :D

75. Teresa and Poopy

+2 was 264, and Poopy was more resigned to the pokey poke. Hope to get readings at +4, +6 and +8 today. would really like to see the curve for at least one day. :smile:

76. julie & punkin (ga)

it'll be interesting to see how he's doing, but any tests you get help fill out his story so we can see what he's doing.

have a great day, theresa!

77. Teresa and Poopy

Grrrrr. Poopy isn't the only one growling in this household. Am getting blood, just not enough for the meter to read.

Do different meters take different amounts of blood?

78. harrysmom

harrysmom Member

Yes they do. What kind do you use? Alot of people on here use the walmart brand relion - it is cheap and it using only a tiny bit of blood

Also which gauge lancet are you using - I can't remember if you mentioned before- could you try a large size (lower number)?

79. Teresa and Poopy

I've been using the size 26 lance since I learned about the number differences, and use a Contour meter and strips (given to me by my diabetic brother).

80. Teresa and Poopy

+7 at 243. Not that much lower than the +2 at 264. Can't help by wondering if all my poking attempts may be effecting readings????

This time, one poke and enough blood to test. Woot!

81. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Poking shouldn't impact the numbers, even if he is very stressed. It is hard to make any conclusions as you are missing some of those vital preshot numbers. It looks fairly flat but if the preshot numbers are low or high, that would change the conclusion. I know it would be nice to have an answer now about what to do, but we really need more data.

Keep getting numbers, giving treats and we will be able to help you decide on any dose changes.

They are not bad numbers - anything under 300 is good for a beginning diabetic. Lots of kitties here start in the 400-500 range.

82. Teresa and Poopy

Thanks, Sue. :smile: We will keep at it. :smile:

83. harrysmom

harrysmom Member

Maybe you could start a new thread and ask about meters - I do know from reading that some are better than others but don't know which ones. I went with one that was recommended on here, the walmart brand relion as its cheap and only uses a tiny bit of blood.

Keep at it, you are doing a great job :D

84. julie & punkin (ga)

if i were you, before going to the expense of switching meters i'd just stick with it. the blood will come! :D

i think i probably mentioned earlier that when we started, i hit the vein for preshot #'s because i was so worried about the whole thing. the biggest thing is always to make sure you've applied pressure to staunch the blood flow so you don't create a bruise. it's not ideal, and don't do it every time, but it would give you more information.

re the antibiotic ointment/cream - just be aware that the ointment is greasy and will help the blood to bead up. i found the cream seemed like it made the blood drop disperse and soak into the hair/skin. i bought it first and hated it - but i know some people use it successfully. probably like everything else, it depends on your cat.

are you using a very thin slick of vaseline first thing in the morning? i put the vaseline on (not enough to goo up a strip, just so it's shiny) first thing in the morning and it will last all day. then at night, or sooner if i've had to poke a lot, i put on the neosporin ointment with pain relief. tried it on myself and i'm impressed with how much it really does take out the ouchies. by morning it's rubbed off and gone.

85. Teresa and Poopy

Well, the successes are a bit more frequent. I have a feeling my issues are more operational error rather than equipment malfunction. :oops: I'm beginning to see the difference between my too small of drops and nice healthy, testable drops. A lot of it depends on where I poke and how squirmy Poopy is for how much blood I can get. He's had his fair share of stealing drops, getting them smeared across his ear. Of course, once I release him, he's off and running for the treat bowl (mom's hand isn't always favorable for him after pokey pokes).

What a learning curve! Spent some time this afternoon on the phone with the vet Poopy is supposed to see tomorrow (the new one) and am not convinced he will be home testing supportive either - saying all it does is cause stress for the owner. However, he is willing to order the insulin Poopy is currently on (he normally doesn't carry ProZinc and I forgot to ask since he immediately went into I shouldn't be looking at switching - and I'm not....yet). He did tell me the most important things to watch for are hypo and hyper and weight, saying weight should not continue to drop (which it hasn't...I'm thinking he's gained even more, getting heavier as I type!). Why is it so hard to find a home testing friendly vet or to convert a vet???? *sigh*

At least Poopy is on the road to feeling better! cat_pet_icon

Thanks again, all of you! I'm keeping on keeping on. :D

86. julie & punkin (ga)

i'm completely confused - sorry to ask you what you've probably already said. i thought you are using ProZinc. is that right? what are you talking about switching to?

and are you aware of the success rate of using Lantus (glargine) or Levemir (determir) in having newly diagnosed (less than 6 months) cats go off of insulin?

also, i suspect most of us get our insulin from the people pharmacy rather than the vet. you may want to ask about costs and reasoning there.

87. Meowsmum

Meowsmum Member

We use the Alpha Trak moniter. I tried using the Freedom and Freestlye meter and they came in betweeen 4-9 points different from my Alpha Trak, which is pretty reasonable.

I also use the human Freedom meter test strips but I do perfer the Alpha Trak ones bc they take less blood.

88. julie & punkin (ga)

the alphatrack is considered pretty accurate, but its strips are the most expensive there are. at least using lantus & levemir, the numbers that we use are compared to human calibrated meters.

meters are legally allowed to have a 20% variance rate - so when we see a 70-80-90 that's essentially the same number.

meowsmum - you want to put that you are using an AT in your signature line so that anyone advising you knows that. the difference is about 30 points, so if you see an 80 on an AT meter, that is when you begin to treat for hypoglycemia. they aren't hypo yet, but an 80 on an AT compares to a 50 on a regular meter. very important to know this difference.

89. Teresa and Poopy

I'm sorry for the confusion. I am not thinking of switching Poopy off ProZinc as long as we are still learning and getting settled into a routine. From everything I've read, switching insulin is like starting all over again and neither Poopy or I are ready for that. LOL I'm just thinking, if the newer vet isn't home test friendly, as is the vet Poopy has seen most of his life, the only difference is the insulin available. As far as cost, the current vet sells me ProZinc at $86 a bottle - much cheaper than I can find online.

I had a PM from someone also using Contour with success so I'm going to stick with what I have. I'm pretty convinced my issues are operational and not equipment (the poor Poop). I am getting a bit more consistent on getting healthy, testable drops of blood so we will just keep plugging along for now, hoping and striving for progress. :smile:

Of course, this doesn't mean I'm not listening and trying suggestions! :smile: I wouldn't be where i am without you!

90. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

Cosmetic pads work so much better than paper towel. Square or round, doesn't matter, but they give great support and are easy to wrap over ear after sticking to apply a little pressure to stop bleeding and minimize bruising.

91. Teresa and Poopy

What a neat idea! I may have to try that. :smile:

And i adore your avatar, Hope. That's just like my civvie kitty, Mia. She's my sock killer, dragger, drapper (she brings them up from the basement laundry chute pile and drapes them on the couch, bed, chair, wherever). It's hilarious to watch her dragging a "fresh kill" around, as many of the socks are as long or longer than herself!

92. Angelavenger

Angelavenger Member

i also use the little cosmetic cotton circles for doing our girls pokes. It is a nice surface to go under the ear when holding it.
    Also our girl was squirmy so we burrito-ed her in a blanket for the first two weeks but as it went along she's gotten better and we don't have to anymore. She likes the freeze dried chicken treats so much she puts up with the poke just to get them.

93. Teresa and Poopy

Even though Poopy knows he gets treats or food after pokey pokes, and squirms even worse in the burrito so I'm not using it, he's now avoiding me and raising a ruckus at test time. I will continue to try and test, as I do believe it is important...I just wish he'd get used to it soon...for my sake as well as his. It tears me up, him being angry with me. :sad: And I know he's not happy with me. I skipped the +2 test so hopefully I'll be more successful for the +4 and +6. I hope, I hope, I hope.

I really don't mean to whine. And I appreciate all of you being here. I do believe it will get better...it HAS to! :smile:

WTH??? +4 was 404 Sheesh

Edited to add: While Poopy did share his non-enthusiasm to be tested, and tried to get me to not pick him up, he squirmed much less for the actual poking and I did get the drop I needed for testing.

94. Teresa and Poopy

Now I'm feeling really stupid. Never bothered to check the expiration date on the test strips. Expired in 2009. Sheesh. Off to the store I go.

95. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Well, THAT can make a difference. :mrgreen: We may have a whole different picture when you test next (or not as he IS a cat....)

Teresa, you don't have to test every 2 hours daily. With PZI we are happy with +6 and preshots with a curve thrown in every once in a while or if things change drastically. Give yourself and Poopy a break. Treats all around and no pokes!

96. Teresa and Poopy

Just poked a bit ago with new strips. +6 at 222 is soooo much better!

I'll give the every two hours poking a rest. I have no doubt the Poopmeister will appreciate that, not to mention me. :D

97. Teresa and Poopy

PMPS test with new strip 301, with old strip 290. Weird.

One way or the other I WILL get an AMPS test.

98. jose and tracy

jose and tracy Member

I hope this makes you feel better: I have been having trouble with Jose' the last two nights getting blood. She lets me - with some head thrashing- but it has taken several pokes instead of the one. & i always finally hit the gusher & end up with more blood than i need or want. oh well. she is rolling on the floor showing her belly right now quite content. which makes it all worth while. & now she is back in my lap. the first few days of me trying she started hiding in a hidey-hole she has. clearly unhappy. & i was not going in there after her. what a difference a month makes. you and poopy are making wonderful progress. he is lucky you are there to stick by him.

99. Teresa and Poopy

AMPS went a lot easier than other mornings. A LOT! First poke went without a hitch but didn't get enough blood, even with massaging. Second poke a success, even with a bit of uncooperativeness from Poopy, with massage. Not enough blood to test with the old strips too (trying to determine how off they really are, when possible - if there's enough blood for two strips). As long as I can get the one reading with the new strips I'm happy. :smile:

AMPS was 358. Not a great number but will see what the +6 shows with the new strips as I did add a bit of insulin to his morning shot and am home to watch Poopy. With the U40 syringe, I used the plunger rubber ring as a guide. I've always given Poopy 1u with the plunger rubber lined up at the bottom of the line. This morning the plunger rubber was clear of the line by one plunger rubber width (less than 1.25u, but darn close to 1.2u as I measure 5 rubber rings before I hit the same spot at the 2u as I do with the 1u). I figure this is safe due to the the PMPS from last night also being in the 300s (and Poopy still always wanting more food even with water consumption down). As always, feedback is welcome. :smile:

I know I've been stressing over all this, and trying to stay calm and focused anyway. You folks have been a godsend. You have freely shared SO much information, encouragement, support, your own trials and tribulations, and tips and tricks. For me, having Poopy diagnosed with diabetes was almost as bad as a death sentence. Especially with the difficulties the vet has with Poopy, having to sedate him, etc. I couldn't settle for death as an option and knew I had to do what I could to help Poopy. This little engine that could thanks each and every one of you for your help, guidance, and support. Without you, I'd still be lost and overwhelmed.

I received a tip about ordering strips off Ebay, (being sure to check the expiration date and that they are unopened) to get some decent prices (half or less than the stores). Checked it out and got a couple of great deals. Great to me anyway. One of the deals I nabbed includes a new meter (who knew meters also have expiration dates?) and 50 test strips for less than $26 (including shipping). At the local Walmart (cheapest place I have found so far) it would have cost me over $70, over $55 for just the strips. Also, when I ran to the store yesterday (and paid $72 for a box of 50 strips at Walgreens - closest place to me), I discovered I could pay for strips and lances with my medical flex card (if I want to pay full price). Not sure if that tidbit will help anyone or not but thought I'd share. :smile:

100. ohbell

ohbell Well-Known Member

Teresa & Pooopster....what good news to be able to go back and read...
    Have had company from out of town since Thursday.....and just been wringing my hands to get on here and see how yall were doing!!
    Keep up the good work! ;-)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.