Home Testing Help - Unbelievable!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Teresa and Poopy, Dec 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Re: Home Testing Help - A newbie is in the house

I think they assumed you were the diabetic - the medical flex card doesn't apply for cats does it?

2. Teresa and Poopy

Teresa and Poopy Well-Known Member

No, my medical coverage does not include the cat...but the card is to cover medical expenses (and not tied to my medical insurance). If asked, I can truthfully say I've been testing my blood sugar (since I have).

I won't normally use the card to cover costs (since I can get the supplies on Ebay for much less), but it can help in a pinch. :smile:

3. jose and tracy

jose and tracy Member

ignorance here. what is a medical flex card?

4. Teresa and Poopy

In layman's terms, a medical flex card is where I have a set amount of funds deducted from each paycheck to have the whole annual amount immediately available to cover medical expenses for the year. (Also known as a Flex Spending Account.) It can be set up pre- or post-tax.

5. ohbell

ohbell Well-Known Member

Just looked at Mr. Poopester ss - looking good mommabean! ;-)

6. Teresa and Poopy

Thank you, mommabean. :mrgreen:

Anyone looking at it can see the testing learning curve...and how much better Poopy and I are getting at it...thanks to all of you!

This forum, and you folks, are truly a godsend. Truly!

There is so much to learn, and some of it so quickly. It's so good you folks are here to walk us stressed out, terrified, confused, conflicted, worried mommabeans through it all. I know I couldn't have done it without all of you.

Here's to a healthy 2012, for all of our sugarkitties and mommabeans! :RAHCAT

7. Teresa and Poopy

Re: Home Testing Help - A rather silly question

Not thinking things through, I trimmed my nails (was using my nail to scoop up the blood droplet) and now they are too short to keep the blood from spreading out under my nail. Can I use a spoon or something to scoop it up quickly so Poopy doesn't squirm and spread it through his fur? I tried using my fingertip and it just spreads out too.

Ugh! Learning curves! grr_red

Edited to add: Back of nail works great. Sheesh. What is it about all of this that short circuits thinking???? LOL

8. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

i would think anything clean and non-absorbent would work.

9. ohbell

ohbell Well-Known Member

I always did the back of the pinky nail or thumb - hummmmmm, never tried the underside ~ short circuit thinking = over loaded

10. Teresa and Poopy

Totally unbelievable! Poopy came up to me this morning for his BG pokey poke! And purred through the first poke! (Yea, still had to do a second poke to get enough blood.)

While I was hoping Poopy wouldn't hate me for all the pokey pokes, I never really expected him to willingly approach me for it! flip_cat

For anyone struggling with getting blood, or enough blood, perseverance does pay off! It can be done! Check Poopy's SS below. I recorded my failed attempts (US on chart) as well as successes (mostly so I could see the improvement to give me hope of future success).

Woohoo! We are doing happy dances in the house this morning! party_cat

And I have all of you to thank for it...THANK YOU! :mrgreen:

11. ohbell

ohbell Well-Known Member

WAY TO GO POOPY, WAY TO GO!!!!

Show mommabean that love! What a nice thing to seeee. Bet you never ever would have believed that last week. What progress for you both!!!!!!!

Just pokey poked Bean with a different meter.....70, and that was after eating..... Still wondering why she is hanging at the sink for water??? Bowls are ok, but this scares me shi*less! nailbite_smile

Walked right up to her, and started our process....she was a little hesitant because we were not in our chair...but she was a champ! Hurrray for our furry babies!

12. ohbell

ohbell Well-Known Member

WAY TO GO POOPY, WAY TO GO!!!!

Show mommabean that love! What a nice thing to seeee. Bet you never ever would have believed that last week. What progress for you both!!!!!!!

Just pokey poked Bean with a different meter.....70, and that was after eating..... Still wondering why she is hanging at the sink for water??? Bowls are ok, but this scares me shi*less! nailbite_smile

Walked right up to her, and started our process....she was a little hesitant because we were not in our chair...but she was a champ! Hurrray for our furry babies!

13. Teresa and Poopy

I know this is going to sound really yucky.....

Every single time the toilet is flushed, Poopy comes sauntering in to not only watch the water go round, but to nab a drink from the cold, fresh water. I keep their water feeder clean and fresh...but he's got this thing about a fresh flushed toilet. Even when we close the lid, he's sticking his paw and arm between the rim and seat - and lifting it!

Maybe Bell has developed a fascination with the water and likes it fresh from the tap????? Keeping fingers and paws crossed!

By the way, for Poopy's PMPS I called him over and he came! Hubby couldn't believe it! Now, in between tests I still have to go get him. Treats just aren't as compelling as food, you know. ;-)

14. MikeysMom

MikeysMom Well-Known Member

Mikey loves to watch the toilet flush. He's been obsessed with running water since I've had him; and begs for the faucet to be turned on, though since he's been on insulin, he drinks a little and watches a lot like he used to when he was younger. He even has been known to sleep in the sink. Weirdo. Cats. Gotta love them!

Glad you and Poopy are getting the hang of things! I wish Mikey would cooperate as well as Poopy!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.