Home Testing--When To Do It

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Cat Ma, Jun 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

When do you test your cat's BG levels? Before each meal? i.e. An hour before eating and then the insulin? Do you test once in the AM and once in the PM?

Since my cat often becomes more lively around feeding times, can I test BG levels while she is sleeping? If so, that means several hours before she eats but she is more relaxed then and getting blood would be easier. But am I getting optimal results this way?

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Testing:
    1) Always test before giving insulin to make sure it is safe.
    For now, your no shot level is 200 mg/dL on a human glucometer (230 for pet-specific); this will lower as you collect data around the middle of the cycle to know how low he is going.

2) Mid-cycle tests between shots - whenever possible, test around the nadir (lowest glucose level between shots) for your insulin, to see how low he's going. For Lantus, this often falls between +5 to +7 hours after the shot. Some folks do this on weekends or set a clock for the middle of the night to get this test done as it helps determine dose adjustments. This number should be at or above 50 mg/dL on a human glucometer (80 mg/dL for pet-specific).

3) a before bed test is helpful in determining if you need to break out some higher carb food and steer the glucose level or go to bed with some peace of mind. Steering means giving 1-2 teaspoons of high carb gravy, waiting 30 minutes, and re-testing (repeating as needed) to make sure the glucose stays above 50 mg/dL.

3. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

By "no shot level" do you mean if BG reaches 200 mg, I'd skip giving an insulin dose?

Currently, my cat is on Novolin. What's the recommended Nadir testing for this?

4. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

If your pre-shot test is below 200, no shot.
    For any insulin, you do not want the cat below 50 mg/dL as the risk of hypoglycemia is very high.
    See my signature link Glucometer Notes for info.

5. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

Thank you. I printed out the Glucometer Notes. Slowly but surely I'll get the hang of this.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
  6. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

There is a lot. It is like a college course that you're cramming to learn!

Shiloh & Rhonda (GA) and Cat Ma like this.
  7. jane and stewey

jane and stewey Member

What is the frequency of your insulin delivery? that pretty much determines the frequency of blood sugar assessment. You routinely check sugars before the cat eats and administer the insulin after. Regimentation is the key to a stable sugar. Feeding the same time, insulin the same time. They need to be to be placed on a routine schedule. My cat receives insulin twice daily; but, I have found (through trial and error), that she keeps a more stable blood sugar with 5 feedings per day rather than 2. She is a lot more mellow with her attitude as well. Good luck from Jane and Stewey

8. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

Insulin has been twice a day. So far, my cat wolfs down food on her own about 2 1/2-3 hours after her morning insulin shot but the rest of the day she sometimes has to be coaxed or forced fed. I've been giving her small portions throughout the day at close to scheduled times.

9. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

As insulin doses are adjusted based on the lowest glucose post-shot (nadir), testing when that is likely to happen alerts you to insufficient or excess insulin dosing. Whenever you can, and at least once a week, aim to test during the likely nadir period, often about +3 to +4 hours after injection when using NPH.

10. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

Very helpful to know this. Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.