Hometesting number is 506!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Susan and Timmy, Jan 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Susan and Timmy

Susan and Timmy Member

Yes, I left the strip immersed in the urine for 15 seconds before taking it out and waiting the 15 minutes and read it against the chart.

2. Susan and Timmy

Susan and Timmy Member

No, I finally got the sample of his urine. I was so happy at that.
    I tested the same urine 4 different times in a row using 4 different test strips.

3. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Is the manufacturer NIPRO Diagnostics?

(I'm trying to find the instruction leaflet for your strips online.)

ETA: Or ... is there any mention of trividiahealth on the packaging?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    Susan and Timmy likes this.
  4. Susan and Timmy

Susan and Timmy Member

Yes, NIPRO Diagnostics

5. Lisa and Smoky

Lisa and Smoky Well-Known Member

I've never kept the strip in the urine the whole time. Just dipped it in urine, wiped off the excess urine, waited the 15 seconds and checked the color chart. The Bayer ketones diastix says to remove the strip from urine immediately.

Reason for edit: New info
    Susan and Timmy and Critter Mom like this.
  6. Susan and Timmy

Susan and Timmy Member

Oh no, did I do it wrong? If I left it in the urine for 15 seconds would that change the results? Not to be gross, but I'm going to test this on myself.

BRB

Critter Mom likes this.
  7. Critter Mom

Here's the instruction leaflet:

http://www.trividiahealth.com/our_products/downloads/ts_ketone/Ketone Care-Instructions for Use.pdf

As Lisa advises above you just dip the strip into the urine, remove it, wipe off the excess and read the result off 15 seconds later.

From the leaflet:

How to Perform a Urine Ketone Test

1. Remove Test Strip from vial. Close vial immediately. NOTE: If opening vial for first time, write date opened on vial label.

2. Check ‘Use By’ date (printed) and ‘Opened’ date (written) on vial. Do not use if either ‘Use By’ date has passed or if it is 2 months past ‘Opened’ date. Discard vial and test with new vial. NOTE: Use of Test Strips past expiration dates may cause incorrect results.

3. Firmly hold end farthest away from Test Pad. Pass Test Pad through urine stream. NOTE: Urine may also be collected in a clean, dry container for testing. After collection, quickly dip Test Pad into urine. Drag long edge of Test Strip against rim of container to remove excess urine.

4. After 15 seconds, match Test Pad to color chart on vial label. Ignore any color changes after 15 seconds. NOTE: Color Chart blocks give approximate values; actual colors may be slightly darker or lighter than color shown on chart. If replacement Color Chart is needed, call for assistance.

5. Discard used Test Strip in appropriate container.

[Emphasis mine]

Mogs

8. Critter Mom

:D

9. Susan and Timmy

Susan and Timmy Member

Okay there is an ever so slight difference. Negative and trace are so close in color.

10. Lisa and Smoky

I think it would definitely affect the results if you left it immersed in urine the whole 15 seconds. I'm glad Mogs could find that link for you. So, were you normal?:rolleyes:

Critter Mom and Susan and Timmy like this.
  11. Susan and Timmy

Susan and Timmy Member

Yay, I'm normal :p , but I could see it changing a little to trace as the seconds went by.

Lisa and Smoky and Critter Mom like this.
  12. Critter Mom

Good fun 'ere, innit! :woot:

13. Lisa and Smoky

I know they are, it's hard to tell sometimes

14. Critter Mom

The tests are very time-sensitive.

Timmy's tests tonight won't be valid so I suggest testing again in the morning. It's sometimes an idea to keep an eye on the litter box around mealtimes to get a good chance of snagging a sample.

At least you've had a good practice run tonight using yourself as a lab rat! :D

Mogs

15. Lisa and Smoky

It's amazing how much difference a few seconds can make when reading those strips. Guess this means Timmie is ok?

Critter Mom and Susan and Timmy like this.
  16. Susan and Timmy

Susan and Timmy Member

QUOTE="Critter Mom, post: 1869207, member: 10789"]Here's the instruction leaflet:

http://www.trividiahealth.com/our_products/downloads/ts_ketone/Ketone Care-Instructions for Use.pdf

As Lisa advises above you just dip the strip into the urine, remove it, wipe off the excess and read the result off 15 seconds later.

From the leaflet:

How to Perform a Urine Ketone Test
    1. Remove Test Strip from vial. Close vial immediately. NOTE: If opening vial for first time, write date opened on vial label.

2.Check ‘Use By’ date (printed) and ‘Opened’ date (written) on vial. Do not use if either ‘Use By’ date has passed or if it is 2 months past ‘Opened’ date. Discard vial and test with new vial. NOTE: Use of Test Strips past expiration dates may cause incorrect results.

3. Firmly hold end farthest away from Test Pad. Pass Test Pad through urine stream. NOTE: Urine may also be collected in a clean, dry container for testing. After collection, quickly dip Test Pad into urine. Drag long edge of Test Strip against rim of container to remove excess urine.

4. After 15 seconds, match Test Pad to color chart on vial label. Ignore any color changes after 15 seconds. NOTE: Color Chart blocks give approximate values; actual colors may be slightly darker or lighter than color shown on chart. If replacement Color Chart is needed, call for assistance.

5. Discard used Test Strip in appropriate container.

[Emphasis mine]

Mogs
    .[/QUOTE]
    Thank you for finding this for me. I'm losing it. ;)
    So I guess I did the test wrong. I need to get another urine sample. With his last test so high what can I do to keep the ketones normal. This is a brand new learning curve from yesterday.

Critter Mom likes this.
  17. Lisa and Smoky

Smoky always eats about half of his food and then goes right to his kitty box to pee.
    He then goes back to eat again after his pee break.:D

18. Susan and Timmy

Susan and Timmy Member

So for tonight he is okay with the ketones. I need to get educated about ketones now. This wasn't even on my radar earlier. It is now, for sure. Sorry for the false alarm. Thank you all once again for all your help and wisdom. I'm going to go do the before bed test on Timmy and think positive. :)

Critter Mom likes this.
  19. Critter Mom

20. Lisa and Smoky

I'm glad he was OK with the ketones tonight. Let us know how the before bed test goes. Smoky sneaked into his food right before I was going to check him.o_O

21. Lisa and Smoky

Have to get to bed soon. Hope you have a good night Susan. Get some much needed rest.

22. Susan and Timmy

Susan and Timmy Member

Hi again,
    I'm not sure if I should skip Timmy's dose tonight. He tested at 363. Not really sure when to hold the dose.

I posted on the main board, but didn't hear back and he is due for the injection right now.
    Thanks,

23. Lisa and Smoky

Sorry I was out for a while. Timmie shld be fine on the two units. Can you get in a before bed test?

24. Lisa and Smoky

Don't worry, I have given Smoky his shot late before as well. A few times I was an hour late giving shot. I always give a lower dose if not sure or can't monitor. I look at it as I am keeping Smoky safe.
    I look back at his SS for similar BG numbers to decide on a dose for him.

25. Susan and Timmy

Susan and Timmy Member

I gave him 0.5 units about 20 minutes ago. I was afraid to give him the full dose without checking. The before bed test is my new normal. It really helps with peace of mind. I am home for the weekend and I am confused about when to not dose since I am trying to transition him to the wet food. I had to leave out some dry today though.

26. Lisa and Smoky

Normally on this site the no shot number for newbies is under 200 for a preshot number Giving him the lower dose will probably keep him safe from dropping too low. He may have a higher preshot number in the morning so post back if you need help with anything. There are a lot of very experienced members here. I'm still learning but hoping I can be of some help.

27. Lisa and Smoky

Susan, once he is switched over to a low carb wet food diet his BG may drop dramatically. You might have to give him a lower dose if that happens. The wonderful people on here will help you every step of the way. I know this because I have received an enormous amount of help and insight on this site.

28. Susan and Timmy

Susan and Timmy Member

You have been a big help. I appreciate the support everyone has been giving me. I know I keep saying it, but I mean it! Thank you! Since you were on Vetsulin before I have looked back to Smokey's spreadsheet for an idea of what you did.

It was hard today because I wasn't home with him. I worried all day. I think once the complete transition to the wet food is complete I will get more confidence. I am terrified of a hypo event.

29. Susan and Timmy

Susan and Timmy Member

Okay, I'm going to carefully cut back more on the dry food tomorrow. I will be home to test him, so I can get a clearer picture of how much he drops.

Thank you for getting back to me tonight. I'm off to do the before bed test. :)

30. Lisa and Smoky

I didn't start home testing right away in the beginning but really wish that I had. I could have maybe avoided all those really high numbers that were in the reds and blacks. Kudos to you for starting testing so soon.

31. Lisa and Smoky

Let me know how Timmie does over the weekend. Take the time to get him switched over from dry to wet food slowly. I know people who have switched their cats "cold turkey" or just too fast at once and had to end up treating them for a hypo. The cats blood sugar can drop that fast just from switching to wet food.

32. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

It seems like the 2U dose is taking Timmy's numbers in the right direction, at least! Higher this morning of course, but that's as expected after the reduced dose last night. If you are around all day today to monitor, that's great-- the real risk of a hypo is when you aren't monitoring and thus miss the warning signs, don't know the number you are shooting, don't know your cat's patterns, etc. There is a whole lot you can do to "steer" a drop in blood glucose while it is happening using food, as long as you know it is happening. You're absolutely correct to be afraid of hypos, :nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting:, just trying to reassure you on the shot-making decisions-- even if you happen to give Timmy a bit more insulin than he might need on a particular day, it does not mean certain doom, by any means! We had a recent case on the boards where a new user mis-read the syringes she'd been given (no instruction from the vet) and gave her cat 10 times the recommended initial dose of insulin :eek::eek::eek::eek:. It was kind of hairy for a while, but she was able to keep her cat totally safe during the course of the insulin's action by monitoring and feeding high-carb foods at intervals. That's an extreme case, but illustrates the principle-- insulin is a very powerful hormone, but you are also very powerful, having given yourself the tools (testing and knowledge of how high-carb food affects BG) to help keep Timmy safe while trying to get him into lower numbers and feeling better.

Keep posting to let us know how you are doing today! You might want to start a new thread, because this one is getting long and the beginning was a few days ago. You can include a link to this thread in your first post so that people can go back and read up on the history.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.