Honeybun newly diagnosed old lady (UK)

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Rach & Honeybun, Aug 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rach & Honeybun

Rach & Honeybun Member

Hello all, I have heard great things about this site so here I am ready to ask for help. Honeybun is 16 years old, newly diagnosed a week ago today due to being lethargic and losing weight but eating a ton! She is on 1u Caninsulin twice a day, and I have just purchased a home kit to test her myself as the vets have had all my money and I don't have any other option! This is all very scary but I am hoping that you will all share your wealth of knowledge with me :) Honey lives with 3 other cats and the vet says sh has no other health issues apart from the nasty old diabetes!

2. Ruby&Baco

Ruby&Baco Well-Known Member

Welcome! You must be glad that you've purchased a hometesting kit because that's the first thing we will recommend to do! It saves a lot of money instead of going to expensive vets visits for testing the blood sugar glucose!
    What are you feeding Honeybun? We recommend low carb food to get those numbers down!
    I will tag some UK people for you on here so they can help you with this!

@Elizabeth and Bertie @TempestsMum @Marlena

3. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Hello, and 'welcome' to you and to Honey! :bighug:
    Waving to you from Surrey....
    As Ruby says, the fact that you've bought a test kit is good news: We actually recommend that people test their cat's blood glucose at home. The results are so much more 'typical' than you would see at the vet when the cat is under stress.

You have a really good attitude about this, and I'm sure you'll do just fine with this diabetes malarkey. :cat:

upload_2016-8-25_20-47-24.jpeg

Eliz

Ruby&Baco likes this.
  4. Rach & Honeybun

Rach & Honeybun Member

Thank you both!! I am in Norfolk :) I am feeding her Sheba pouches at the moment as I have help from a Facebook group, but if you know of a better alternative please let me know. I am keen to learn and to try whatever i can to keep my baby healthy. She has been with me through so much and I couldn't bear to lose her!!
    Have just seen the link to low carb uk cat foods Elizabeth. I have also posted in the health forum as her BG was high today at her PM shot, (405) whereas it had looked like it was keeping steadyish. I'm not so good at the ear testing yet so she is not very happy with me!!:(

5. Ruby&Baco

I did see your other thread! The best to do for the numbers are collecting them in a spreadsheet, see mine below in my signature.

@Marje and Gracie Can you help to set it up?

Rach & Honeybun likes this.
  6. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Hello and welcome Honeybun! You have found the right place :)

I'm also in the UK and really recommend Elizabeth's food list!
    I feed Sheba fine flakes poultry from the list and it's been key I believe in helping Tempest drop her numbers alongside the insulin.
    I'm so happy you are doing home testing too! It makes it so much safer than guessing.
    You will do absolutely fine and the ear testing does become easier in time, it's one thing I did struggle with a bit. Warm ears really help a lot. And keeping them taught when you are pricking them. Also don't stab like I did, just press it at a gentle angle on the edge. You will be a pro in no time! :)

7. Rach & Honeybun

Rach & Honeybun Member

Thanks Ruby! I just had a look at it, then my brain said '404 Error found' and shut down :D

Ruby&Baco likes this.
  8. Ruby&Baco

hahahahahahaha!!!! You are funny, but I do get it.
    I use MMOL instead of MG/DL (that's the way the numbers are used in the US) I live in The Netherlands and they use MMOL so maybe that's why it doesn't make sense, but you can switch between tabs and see the numbers that you are 'used' to in there also, it converts automatically.
    Now I only test Baco once every 2 weeks because she's OTJ (of the juice) so she doesn't need insulin anymore!

9. Rach & Honeybun

Rach & Honeybun Member

It's such a massive learning curve! The nurse was like 'Do you think you can inject her?' and I sucked it up and did it straight away and then had a mini freak out after! Did you get her OTJ by diet?
    Thank you too Tara - I'm glad there are other insulin options available this side of the pond - pity my vet didn't mention it!!
    I'm just trying to test when I can at the moment, and keeping it written down to hopefully put into a spreadsheet. She does seem a lot perkier the last day or so but I live in fear of her being hyper/hypo glycemic! I thought her injection might not have gone in this morning as my fingers were wet, checked her fur but it was dry spent half the morning fretting til a guy at work showed me his insulin pen and let me smell it - then I realised there was no way that was what was on my hand (God knows what it was!!) I'm constantly paranoid at the moment!:confused:

10. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

I was lucky with the insulin thing. I knew after a bit of research that I wanted the prozinc one. Mostly because I felt it would be easier for me to cope with as it doesn't need to be so rigid. But it was when I came here and learned more I knew for definite it was the one I wanted so asked specifically for it. :)

That fear of hypos is what gave me the determination to get the blood bg thing down quickly. And luckily I did otherwise I'd have had a trip to the emergency vet on my hands. I can only thank every single person who sat with me that night and talked to me and got me through it! Without them I'd have lost the plot as they say here. Lol

Different insulin smells differently I believe so it's possible you gave what they call a fur shot. It happens - happened to me too when kitty decided to move just at the wrong moment. It's ok, just don't give another if that happens again.

Ah yes the paranoia! I got that too, I was a nervous wreck the last couple of weeks but again lots of folk here held my 'virtual hand' and walked and talked me through it. :) So many people I'm so very grateful to!

Lol I'm a needle phobic so it was something I'd hoped never to have to deal with. Like you I just had to suck it up (after practicing on a small fluffy toy about a zillion times :joyful:)

11. Rach & Honeybun

Rach & Honeybun Member

Thank God for the Internet I say! And thank God for this group!! Although the vets probably think differently !!
    I didn't give her another just in case- good job I didn't then! I didn't know that some smelt differently, though it makes sense. I just had phone calls home every hour that went something like this... 'Is she okay? What do you mean she's sleeping? Is she dead? IS SHE DEAD?! Oh, she's ok? Is she responding to you? Is she focusing? Is she alert when you wake her up? YES WAKE HER UP SHE MIGHT BE IN A COMA!! Oh, she's ok? She's moving away from you? Yeah, she doesn't like you much. Sorry!!'
    Not good!:rolleyes:
    And well done to you for overcoming your fear! I have had quite a few people tutting at me and saying 'Well, it's only a cat'. I've realised those aren't my kind of people!!:smuggrin:

TempestsMum likes this.
  12. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

I echo those sentiments! Thank God! :)
    My vet was a bit suspicious of my standpoint but if I'd followed what he'd said, not tested things would be very different. He's a brilliant vet. I Just think he's used to diabetic dogs rather than cats.

Lol I have no one at home to call but I work part time, I got taxis and buses and lifts home at lunch to check on her so didn't get lunch I've lost some weight so it's all good

Yeah I know that 'it's just a cat, get another one, it's too expensive - you can't afford it' haven't really had any support here at home. So I didn't have much to eat the last while, I had to be very frugal cleaned out my savings accountand it will take me some time to recover money-wise but Tempest has never cost me a penny at the vets other than 2 visits and being spayed (my donation to the sanctuary covered that cost) that I do not begrudge her a single penny. She's just amazing! :cat:

13. Rach & Honeybun

Rach & Honeybun Member

In exactly the same situation! She got run over when she was about 3 but my mum paid for that, and I got her from the RSPCA so had a voucher to take her back to be spayed when she was a young 'un, so really not cost that much...the rent has not been paid yet though:( I think because I agreed to everything the vet just kept on going! That's why I'm thinking of changing - it's a massive practice with branches opening up all over Norfolk so I guess they're making money hand over fist. I'm in the wrong job! I just need to find one that's slightly more sympathetic I guess. Was sposed to take her back tomorrow for another Fructosamine test as home testing was not perceived as an option...until I found a group on FB that was great and redirected me to here as well, so cancelled that! (Then panicked a bit!) But now I know I'm okay. Just did her levels after +3.5 PM shot (is that right) and 241. Huzzah!! Sleep for me tonight then!! :D

People annoy me when they say 'Would have been cheaper to put her down'. Is it wrong to think I want to have them put down?! :nailbiting: If she was in pain or anything else that caused her distress I wouldn't hesitate, because I love her! But if I can take a few years to keep her with me, and have my cuddles, then I'll do it, whatever it costs! Who needs a holiday anyway?!:D

TempestsMum likes this.
  14. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Welcome Honeybun's mom to the best place in the virtual world for help, advice and support when you have a diabetic kitty. I worked alone with the help of my vet for 6 months before I decided to join FDMB. Believe me, it's so much better having these people available to assist. I laughed out loud at some of your entries but I know that this is very stressful for all people that have a diabetic kitty they love to bits. Those "it's only a cat "people are not worth the time of day.

Regarding fur shots and insulin smell: my boy started off on Lantus glargine insulin and it has a very strong smell but the ProZinc he's on now has no detectable odour to me. So - not all insulins are alike in that respect. I'd try feeling the fur gently for wetness to judge whether it was a fur shot - and don't reshoot if it was, just in case.

As many people on these forums say, "Better a week too high than a day too low". Hyperglycemia isn't good for your cat but she can handle it as you work toward getting her regulated. Hypo episodes are the scary ones. That's why we do all the testing, something you'll become more skilled at over time.

Ruby&Baco and Rach & Honeybun like this.
  15. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Lol yep getting caught up with my rent now still behind but will get there.

My vet also wanted that test. I sent him a copy of her SS not heard back as yet lol maybe he's on holiday I don't know.

Yes that's fine for a reading! You can catch up on sleep! Miss Tempest didn't like me to sleep so you are lucky ;)

And yes just like you.. All my holiday money is gone haha
    I'm very much 'quality of life' I wouldn't keep a pet in pain or suffering or with no quality of life for my own selfish reasons, I think letting them go when it's time is the bravest and most loving thing a pet parent can do.

16. Rach & Honeybun

Rach & Honeybun Member

Thanks Kris - it's all very stressful, but I know we'll get there. I might have had a bit of a mental moment in the vets when she'd gone to spend 12 years to find out insulin levels where I had a real heart to heart with her and told her I wasn't going to lose her. Good job the vet didn't catch me at it!!
    Who needs a holiday anyway Tara?!! Not I! I'd much rather have kitty cuds :bighug: as would you I bet!!

TempestsMum likes this.
  17. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

If you would like me to do her spreadsheet, please send me a private message by clicking on "Marje and Gracie" under Gracie's photo to the left and then click on "start a conversation". I can do one for you pretty quick.

Welcome to the FDMB!

18. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Lol I went 15 years without a holiday one time so I can live without. But may see if my friends apartment is free in Spain for a week later on this year or early next. So there's hope! :) but yes kitty cuddles are way more important. :cat:

19. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Hi Marje,
    There's a new member, FatMax's Mom, who's having trouble with the SS. You're the resident SS guru so I replied to her and tagged you.

20. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Thank you...I just posted on that thread.

21. Ragdoll

Ragdoll New Member

Hi! I'm new here too - my kitty was diagnosed last week. Do you mind if I ask what home test kit you got? I'm in the UK too and not sure which ones are recommended over here. My vet has told me Floyd will need to go in for weekly glucose curves - he's booked in next week for his first - but I'd like to be able to home test firstly to save some money (he is insured but as he's over 11 they only pay 80%), and secondly as I'm terrified of an unexpected hypo!

Thanks!

22. Ruby&Baco

I just now saw your reply, sorry!
    Well yes and no, Baco was put on Prozinc when she got her diagnose and by learning from FDMB that the food I was giving wasn't good enough and too many carbs I went on a research myself. Then I found out (now I think by myself duhhh!!!) that the best thing to give you cat is raw food. Because (duhh) they also eat raw meat/fish in the wild. These types of food don't contain any carbs so when you reduce the carbs to nothing or almost nothing this will help the BG to stay lower. This works the same for people, if you reduce the carb intake your BG will not rise. So when I switched food (1 week into the diagnose) this helped a lot. Than the only thing I needed to do was get her BG down to normal numbers by using insulin and for me / Baco we luckely got of insulin after about 6 weeks! She still is of insulin now for 3 months already (time goes quick )

23. Rach & Honeybun

Rach & Honeybun Member

Hi Ragdoll, I looked on Amazon and the key is buying the one with the cheapest strips...I got the Benecheck plus kit and extra lancets for about 30 quid. My vet wanted me to do the same as yours but I had other ideas after accessing FDMB and a couple of FB groups as have absolutely no money left! I have done a couple of curves myself and although she wasn't very happy, she is now getting very used to her ears being pricked. The vet may well tell you not to home test, or not use a human meter - ignore him/her as I got scare tactics from mine, but Honey is perfectly fine with being tested at home! You may want to get some ketostix too in case she goes high and then you can test her urine for ketones. You will learn so much so quickly, and well done for being proactive and wanting to home test :bighug::bighug::bookworm:

24. Rach & Honeybun

Rach & Honeybun Member

Thanks Ruby, that's very interesting! Honey is on about 3% carb food while I am trying to get her regulated but her numbers are very up and down on Caninsulin. I am hoping to gradually reduce her carbs in food and see if that helps. She had been eating food in gravy all the time, so that hasn't helped her i imagine. We will see how it goes, fingers xed!!

TempestsMum and Ruby&Baco like this.
  25. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Welcome to you both. :)

Which Sheba pouches are you feeding?

Mogs

26. Rach & Honeybun

Rach & Honeybun Member

Hi Mogs, we have since changed a couple of times, she's had Whiskas 7+ but then got finicky, and now Aldi sachets (the lower carb ones) she keeps holding out for chicken! Sneak! :D

Critter Mom likes this.
  27. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info, Rach. :)

For future reference, the Sheba pouches in jelly are OK carb-wise (<2% calories from carbs) but the gravy pouches are too high. Also the Sheba Fresh Choice poultry variety are OK (they're 8%-ish).

Mogs

28. Rach & Honeybun

Rach & Honeybun Member

Thanks Mogs :bighug:

Critter Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.