Hoping Charlie can get his appetite back, any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by CharlieBoy&mama, Oct 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CharlieBoy&mama

CharlieBoy&mama New Member

My poor boy Charlie totally lost his appetite 2 and a half weeks ago. The morning of the 14th was typical, Charlie waking us up because it was time for him to eat. I was off work and at about 1 I heard him vomiting in his litter box and I walked over and he had vomited and had diarrhea all over his tail..sorry for the details... Since that time, he has been eating hardly anything. I took him into the vet last Thursday and his kidney counts were elevated but they thought it may be due to him being pretty dehydrated. He got fluids, he ate everything that he offered them (JERK! he would not eat a thing for me at home before OR after the trip) and we went home. On Friday, his vet had returned from vacation and she called him in some appetite stimulaters. He has been eating probably twice as much as he had been, but only half of what he usually would eat when he was feeling good. I have tried everything I could think of... watering down his food, giving him some of this type and some of that, putting tuna water on it, straight up giving him tuna, heating it up... His glucose numbers have been GREAT so I would think he would be feeling good. He is down to .5 units once a day. This morning he was at 125 and I still gave him his dose. The vet told me to try keeping him off the insulin for a few days and do a curve and that may be what is causing him not wanting to eat, too much insulin. Does anybody has any hope for me here, I feel like he is going to wither away to nothing. He is down to 8.8 lbs and that is down from 9.6 when he was first diagnosed. A year ago he weighed probably 15 lbs. His mood is better than it was last week before he got rehydrated. He is being more social and hanging out with us. Its still the not eating and I'm really feeling defeated by this! THANK YOU and sorry for the long story.

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

3. CharlieBoy&mama

CharlieBoy&mama New Member

Re: Hoping Charlie can get his appetite back, any suggestion

Thank you for having me look at that page, the symptoms would fit that. I will need to make another call to the vet tomorrow!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.