Hot ears and rising BG -- infection brewing?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by charliesmom1, Jun 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. charliesmom1

charliesmom1 Member

Hi, been posting about our struggles on the lantus forum but now have a new concern. Charlie has been trending with his highest ever BG numbers today and just tested 592 after 0.5 units given this morning. His ears are very hot to the touch and visibly red--could this mean fever? He's been acting a bit sluggish today but otherwise eating and drinking ok. We did put arnica on his ears yesterday to help with some bruising. Could he have an infection brewing (that could explain the sky high BG)? Should we do a rectal temp? We don't have a rectal thermometer but read you could do it with a digital? Do we still dose insulin tonight? He's due in about a half hour. Thanks!

2. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

An infection will cause glucose levels to rise. It would be best to get him into the vet tomorrow to have them check for an infection or anything else that may be going on. I would still give insulin tonight after he eats.

3. charliesmom1

charliesmom1 Member

Thank you for the reply and advice. I did give him his shot and will check BG again later tonight and in the morning. If it's still high I will call the vet.

4. Bella & Liz

Bella & Liz Member

My cats ears always get pretty toasty if she has a UTI. The vet tells me it isnt a for sure way to tell of a fever, but I havent been wrong yet! Hopefully Charlie starts to feel better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.