Houston - question for seasoned diabetic owners

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Mags920, Sep 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mags920

Mags920 Member

I know Houston cannot have another hypo episode while off insulin but has anyone had a diabetic kitty off insulin with a # at 40? I'm not panicking but he is below the 50-120 range & was wondering if anyone has been in this situation. Has me wondering if there are other issues with him. I feed him 3-4 times a day & I'm ready to leave the dry out all the time. Didn't mention that he had been eating dry yesterday because I forgot to put it up & he was still low.

2. Sylvie

Sylvie Member

my diabetic cat is still on insulin but, none of my other 9 cats are ever under 60. i don't check them regularly though so who knows.

from what i've read; things like infections, tumors, liver and pancreas disease can actually cause regular low blood sugar/hypo in non-diabetic cats. if houston was my cat and regularly in the 40's, i think i would go get blood work done for my peace of mind and to rule out any health issues.

3. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

I have a non-diabetic cat that routinely tests in the 30's

It can be totally normal

Critter Mom likes this.
  4. Phoebes (GA)

Phoebes (GA) Well-Known Member

Cats not on insulin can hang in the 30s and 40s easily.

Critter Mom likes this.
  5. Mags920

Mags920 Member

I've read that too which is why I put the question out there to see if anyone has had a non-insulin dependent diabetic kitty with other issues that caused the lower #. It's only been a few times but with him eating dry I figured his # would be higher.

6. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Last week - Civie's:

Snow 42
    Bebo 61 (Monthly steroid kitty for over 3 years)
    Spike 47
    Pepper 53

That's all that got tested over the last few days...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.