Houston update

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Mags920, Jun 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mags920

Mags920 Member

Houston has been home 1 week & things are looking great. No insulin since 6/22. I've been checking his #'s 3x daily; am before eating, when I come home for lunch around 1:30 then 2-3 hrs after his pm feeding. I tried the DM & his #'s went into the 300's so needless to say that is off the menu nothing but Friskies or Fancy Feast classic pate. I noticed eating dry also made his # go up so I try to keep him away from that as well. This am his # was the lowest so far at 96. Between the enemas & MiraLAX (he has expelled at least 3 ft - yes 3 feet of poop) & the lower #'s, I am seeing the cat I rescued 7 yrs ago. He has returned to his super sweet & loving self. He actually tried to join in on Denace chasing Zoey the other night. He is still learning how to play. I have yet to speak to either vet because neither was in when I called & neither have called me back.

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

I'm so glad to read that Houston is doing better. Yep, the higher carb foods really do affect the BG, and I'm glad you are eliminating them. So our little Houston was full of cr**, funny and not funny. Keep up the good work!

Mags920 likes this.
  3. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

So glad to hear this! I bet he feels so much better.. that is a lot of poop.

Mags920 likes this.
  4. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Wonderful news.

Mags920 likes this.
  5. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Awesome news!!!!

Mags920 likes this.
  6. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA) Well-Known Member

Ah, so glad to see an update Marianne! We were starting to get worried about you two ;)

That is all wonderful news! Stay cool, and continued good luck to you and Houston.

Sandi&Whisper

Mags920 likes this.
  7. Mags920

Mags920 Member

I now call him my little pooper. :)

8. Mags920

Mags920 Member

Wondering if I spoke too soon, just tested the "pooper" before I call it a night & his # was 59 so I tested again & got 69. Not liking that I fed him but apparently what I gave him was really low in carbs so I pulled out the DM & gave him that. We'll see what happens. Really tired & need to get some sleep, 5:30 will be here before I know it. Here's hoping his # goes up some.

9. Kathryn & Nugget

Kathryn & Nugget Member

Always when we think they have great BGs they go and pull a low number. My Nugget did that to me the other night- we were in the ER for quite some time- and on a work night. I hope you get some rest.

Let the King Pooper crunch and munch whatever he wants to get that number back up! I wish I could get Nugget to poop like that- she hasn’t pooped in a few days.

Mags920 likes this.
  10. Mags920

Mags920 Member

I'm going to put the dry out, thanks for the reminder. The DM gets his # way up so I'm hoping that helps, he ate 1/2 can but acting a little off. ER too far to go at this hour so hoping the food helps. Have honey flavored syrup on the standby. Don't forget "King Pooper" had 2 enemas while at the ER & gets 1/4 tsp MiraLAX 2x daily (when I remember).

11. Kathryn & Nugget

Kathryn & Nugget Member

Was he super constipated when he got the enemas? Nugget has pooped exactly 3 times since Thursday June 20, plus two bouts of diarrhea. When she had an x-ray done on the 23rd, they said she was pretty backed up, but no one wanted to treat the constipation. We are now going on day 5 without pooping again...

12. Mags920

Mags920 Member

He was extremely constipated. His belly was very hard & you could feel the poop. His poop problem has been going on for years. The first vet started me on 1/4 tsp MiraLAX & fluids daily. The ER has me giving him MiraLAX 2x daily. Are you giving Nugget fluids daily? Have you tried the MiraLAX? It takes a few days to kick in. Time for a new vet? That's how I'm beginning to feel here, I call & they are never in & don't return my calls. Frustrating.
    Woke up at 1:30am & couldn't get back to sleep so I decided to check the Pooper's #'s & it had gone up to 175. :)

13. Jenna and Widget

Jenna and Widget New Member

How is the Pooper doing today? As far as getting a new vet, I too was thinking the same thing.

14. Mags920

Mags920 Member

My little Pooper is doing ok today, his # was 68 last night so I gave him dry food & forgot to take it away when I went to bed so his # went way up. It's dropping. 2 weeks without insulin! So happy to control him with food alone. Glad to have found this group. xoxo from the Pooper :)

15. Jenna and Widget

Jenna and Widget New Member

Oh so good to hear!

Mags920 likes this.
  16. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

Those are great numbers! No intervention with dry food is needed ;). Please bear in mind, you haven't been giving insulin since June 22nd, this is just a sign of a normal functioning pancreas. It's only when we are giving insulin shots that we need to watch for 50s and 60s. Some cats off insulin can read in the 40s. The pooper is looking good :):cat:

17. Mags920

Mags920 Member

Thanks for telling me that, I thought those #'s were low. Pretty sure the vet said he should be between 80 & 120. Then again if any of the vets ever return my calls I would know this.

18. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

You're welcome. I didn't ask what meter (pet or human) you were using, but either way, all those numbers you've seen recently are just fine. What your vet gave you is the standard clinical range, but again, since you're not giving insulin, less than that is nothing to worry about. Actually, if anything, it's better to avoid the dry food, you have seen how it kicks up the BG into the 300s :eek:, you don't want him up there, that level of blood sugar makes the kidneys work harder, as well as the pancreas. Sorry the vet hasn't been responsive, especially since you had that scary event.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.