how accurate are the nutrition pages

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Plugbait, Jun 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Plugbait

Plugbait Member

I was going to put my diabetic cat and the rest of my cats on wellness canned food but after crunching the numbers I don't think I can quite afford it so I'm looking for some fancy feast but the only nutrition facts I'm seeing for them are on an older canned food page so I'm wondering if it is up to date at all and if the fancy feast wheat and gluten free page is still accurate also what protein and carb is best for an 8 year old 13+ lb diabetic male cat. Sorry for the poor grammar I am on my iPod touch hate using touch screen keyboard

-M

2. Jayne & Sweety

Jayne & Sweety Member

Well, if you look at the dates of some of them, even on the new list, they are...2,3,4,or 5 years old. You CAN use them to select the lower carb foods though, lower the better. The numbers listed may not be exact, but good enough to know which ones are low carb.
    And stay away from any that have "gravy" - they are really high in carbs.
    If you want to calculate them yourself (ballpark estimated) use Dr.Lisa's formula - it's not hard really, just takes a few times.

http://www.catinfo.org/commercialcannedfoods.htm

3. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

Fancy Feast did recently change their product slightly and I think many of the 3-4% carb ones are now a little over 5% (the info is on the forums here somewhere). That is still within a good range. Anything under 10% is usually good for diabetics. Some are more sensitive to carbs and need to stay a bit lower.

Now that we are off the juice, we feed mainly 4-7% with up to 13% mixed in a few times a week and all seem to be doing fine. But every cat is different and my Smokey never fluctuated much no matter what we do.

4. Karen & Angus(GA)

Karen & Angus(GA) Member

The wheat gluten free page is still accurate according to the current ingredient list on the Fancy Feast web page.

5. Plugbait

Plugbait Member

What about the Fancy Feast varieties that say "Classic" on them across the bottom... is that the same thing that's on the list?

-M

6. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

The Classics are what had the ingredient "realignment" recently. I will see if I can find one of the posts with the updated information in it to link to.

7. Jayne & Sweety

Jayne & Sweety Member

"Classics" are the low carb ones ones you want.

8. Plugbait

Plugbait Member

Where is the best place to get those? Will I be able to find those wheat and gluten free flavors at places like Walmart? Ingles? Food City? Food Lion? Walgreens? CVS? Am I going to have to hunt them down at all these places? That could get tedious! Haha.

Or is the ordering online option probably going to be my best bet? At like PetCo or Pet Food Direct?

-M

9. Jayne & Sweety

Jayne & Sweety Member

Fancy feast is at Walmart - On rollback for .30 a can. Most grocery stores have them too, they are not hard to find. Some other foods on the list (I think Wellness, and Sophisicat) can also be found at PetSmart - I just found that out!
    Remeber, stay away from anything that says "gravy".

10. Marvie and Tugger

Marvie and Tugger Well-Known Member

I was buying my FF at Food Lion, using coupons as often as possible. I'm now mostly getting it from Wal-Mart though, 30 cents a can with coupons... much better deal when feeding my crew! I go through about 20 cans a day. I do get it from Petsmart and other local places too, because it's easier to buy whole cases at the pet stores. I've got a picky bunch though, so as soon as I buy a whole case, they decide they hate it ;)

11. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

FYI wheat gluten is not a carb, it is a protein. Some people avoid it due to the past food contamination crisis though.

12. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

Hi, I just want to chime in - I did see Fancy Feast @ Target for 32 cents a can (new price - lowered within the week)
    My Non Diabetic Kitty likes the Chunky Chicken - it has wheat gluten but I have no issues with her having it. I feed Wellness & Raw primarily.

13. Jayne & Sweety

Jayne & Sweety Member

Yeah, I did see FF at my local grocery store (Hannaford) for .35/can. It used to be .55 - I guess they can't compete with Walmart, but are trying..

14. Kathy and Kitty

Kathy and Kitty Well-Known Member

I don't know that anyone has gotten Purina to release an updated "as fed" analysis of new-label FF -- especially since THEY CLAIM they didn't change the nutritional content.

My experience is that the new Tender Beef Feast raised my kitty's BG, and the Classic Chicken Feast didn't. Kitty doesn't like either flavor as much as the old flavors.

My fear has been that FF degraded the ingredients and changed the consistency to cover that up. How else could it now be selling for 15 cents less per can?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.