? How can BG go down w/out insulin? (Crossposted from Prozinc board)

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by shelaghc, Apr 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shelaghc

shelaghc Well-Known Member

For various reasons last night I opted not to give Jester his PM dose.
    His PMPS was 171.
    Five hours later BG was 209.

AMPS is 168!

How does that happen without insulin?

2. monty_dweezil (GA)

monty_dweezil (GA) Member

This is quite baffling, though not uncommon.

1. Potential remission?

2. Maybe his previous dose was becoming too high and so his PMPS was low enough for you not to shoot, and then he went up a little as perhaps a normal fluctuation and maybe the old insulin wearing off, and many hours later the AMPS was lower because all insulin was out of his body so it was no longer bouncing? This may still result in higher numbers later though, and possibly (or not) a reduced dose?

3. Partial remission or the "sputtering pancreas" trying to produce its own insulin?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    Reason for edit: Called Jester "she" by mistake! lol
  3. shelaghc

shelaghc Well-Known Member

Jester's a boy kitty. *g*

Over on the Prozinc board, Djamilla thinks this might possibly be happening. Unfortunately, I opted not to dose him this morning as I was confused by the numbers on top of him being very picky about his foods. (Wouldn't eat the 13 carb Friskies turkey and giblet shreds; came running finally when I opened turkey and *cheese* shreds.)

He did finally eat enough that I might have been comfortable dosing him. But that AMPS was still confusing. Plus, it was almost 8:0oAM by then and I would have had to give him his PM dose no later than 6:30PM because I'm the host of a thing at a restaurant tonight - a full 1.5 hours early.

We have a vet appointment tonight. I'll check his BG before we go and see what's up and if the medium number is holding.

4. monty_dweezil (GA)

monty_dweezil (GA) Member

Yes, I think just see what happens.

When Dwee was on Lantus sometimes his nadir would be hours AFTER his next dose was due and he would be not high enough to shoot until WAY after it was too late to. The 1-2 hour window had well and truly passed. By his next pre-shot though, he would be high. So that's different to this situation here.

Sorry for calling Jester a girl!!! I usually assume most cats are boys as mine have all been! lol. Senility is catching up with me!

shelaghc likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.