How Delicate Is ProZinc? (Dropped the bottle)

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Wulfwin, Apr 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wulfwin

Wulfwin Member

So I fumbled my bottle of ProZinc on Monday, and it slipped out of my hands onto the counter (maybe half a foot drop?) then rolled and fell into the sink (probably a good foot to foot and a half drop). The bottle didn't shatter but I'm concerned that I may have damaged the insulin. I've been watching her BG values the last couple days and they seem high, but I'm not sure if that's because I damaged the insulin, the 0.5 unit BID isn't quite enough, I just don't have enough data, or what. Before I dropped the bottle, I really only had 1 good day's worth on the 0.5 unit BID (4/22) because I took Rain to work with me on 4/23 and 4/24 which really messed with her stress and values (I'm trying to teach my mom to test her, so I won't have to take her with me this weekend). I don't think I've had any fur shots as I check her fur each time and never felt anything wet, but I suppose it's a possibility with such a small amount (and she did flinch quite a bit for today's AM shot so I might have done messed that one up). I also wonder if I'm not consistently drawing up 0.5 unit since I'm eyeballing it - I'm thinking about getting some U-100 syringes and following the conversion chart.

How delicate is ProZinc? Do you think I should get a new bottle to be on the safe side? Should I give it a few more cycles before I make any changes?

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

If you see no cracks and have nothing leaking, I would think it would be okay. Damage to the insulin would probably mean some floaties. Yes, the U100 needles and the conversion chart would make your life easier.

Another possibility is that she has a higher, flatter cycle after one dropping in the blues. That seems to be a pattern the last few day cycles. I'd give it a while.

3. DebG

DebG Well-Known Member

Sue what do floaties look like in the insulin? Matter or crystals or what looks like a big or small bubble hanging in the bottle?

4. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Matter, not bubbles.

5. DebG

DebG Well-Known Member

Wish I would have asked the other day I threw out 3/4 of a bottle.
    Lesson well learned.
    Thank you!

6. Sue and Oliver (GA)

The only way I know to be sure is if it stops working and the numbers rise.

Elizabeth and Bertie likes this.
  7. Wulfwin

Wulfwin Member

No cracks or leaking, and I haven't seen any floaties, so hopefully everything's good. I'll keep her at the current dose for a while yet (hopefully I'll be able to leave her home this weekend so she doesn't get so stressed out). Thanks, Sue!

I think I'll definitely try to switch to U100 syringes. I really don't like trying to eyeball the correct dose. Do you know of any good places to get U100 syringes?

8. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I believe most people get them from ADW. Not sure where else.

9. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Walmart has them sometimes. You need the 0.5 unit U100 3/10cc syringes. BD, CArePoint vet, Monojet. GNP and ReliOn (Walmart) make them. Some places have to look around to find them as they aren't terribly popular with humans (who give more insulin at one time) but they tend to have them. You might call around first or use AWD, as Rachel suggested.

10. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Carol & Murphy (GA) Well-Known Member

Carepoint vet also makes U-40 syringes with half unit markings - I got them from ADW. And I think insulin isn't that delicate - I certainly wouldn't throw out a vial because I dropped it. One thing I did (read about it on the forum) was wrap some wide rubber bands around the vial so if I drop it, it won't break

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.