? How do I know if I've gone too far?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Juliet, Mar 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Juliet

Juliet Guest

2. Steph & Quintus & L & O

Steph & Quintus & L & O Well-Known Member

As I understand it, the "going up slowly after doing a curve" part of the method is there to prevent "shooting past" a dose. Looking at your SS, I'd personally want to get some more +2 or +1 in (I know you can't normally, but if you're around I'd try and grab those) because if you were giving too high a dose (I'm not certain you are, TBH) then you might be seeing a drop then, early in the cycle, causing him to bounce right up for the end of the cycle. Your curve before upping to 3.75 doesn't have anything before +4, so in theory there could maybe have been a drop there?

This is the extra info I'd be wanting to see to be really sure you didn't shoot past the dose. But it's also quite possible his insulin needs have changed. Would you be able to do a curve today or tomorrow (not sure where you are in your day) with more tests in it at the beginning of the cycle, to make sure there's no risk of missing anything? (If you're still at home, that is.)

Not sure if this is helpful or not but it's all I can think of right now.

3. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Thanks. But he food spikes quite high. He doesn't drop after food. Seems a waste of a strip to get +1. I have a job. Curves only possible on Saturdays. It's also my only day to sleep in so +2 never happens. Will try and get a +1 this evening but doubt it's low.

4. LuvinThisPig

LuvinThisPig Well-Known Member

I can totally understand that part! It is tough working and taking care of a sugar kitty, huh? I feel your pain! Now, I am certainly no expert so you may want to still wait on others to chime in, but it is in my understanding that you do not have to do a curve all on one day. For example, rather than taking readings every 2 hours all on one day, you simply take reading at two hour intervals over the course of several days. So, conceivably, as long as you are still shooting the same dose, a curve can actually last for several days. The goal being to simply get the info onto the ss. I will certainly be a supporter of the +2 hour test as it can actually be a very good indicator of where kitty will go within the cycle.

I have not ran a proper curve in months! But, that is the thing.. All you need do is go out of the time schedule a couple of times to make sure you grab hour reads that you have not gotten before and fill in the blanks on the SS. No need to rush and do it all in one day! I am horrible about the later hour numbers... I have almost always fallen asleep by that point.. :)

5. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Yeah me too. I am out the house 12 hours a day working and commuting and at church half of Sunday so curves are tricky. Evening the latest I can generally get is +4. I'll grab a +1 and 2 tonight as I am home sick but I know he does spike with food so I thought them pointless.

6. LuvinThisPig

The +1 is simply for data... However the +2 can actually indicate a lot for the rest of the cycle...

7. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Yes I know. But I also know he spikes. Been doing this a long time now and +2 always much much higher so to me it's a strip wasted. I get them occasionally when I want to see if the food spikes have changed. They haven't.

LuvinThisPig likes this.
  8. LuvinThisPig

Lol... Fair enough! I did not realize.. I was just talking. But, if you know that its a wasted strip, then by all means, trust your judgement! ECID, right? I meant no offense...

9. LuvinThisPig

Aww... Man. My smileys did not come across!! There were a lot! :)

10. Juliet

Juliet Guest

None taken at all. :)

11. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Max didn’t give me any clues at +1 either. I used to test around +2.5-3.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.