How do I minimize ear bruising?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jujukitty, Mar 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jujukitty

Jujukitty New Member

Hi all, I was pretty active on the old board when my cat Julius (aka Juju, Jules) was diagnosed 2 years ago, but have been gone a long time. Anyway, I need tips on how to keep from covering his ears with little red bruises where they've been pricked. Applying pressure sometimes works, but sometimes doesn't. Usually the bruises are very small, but occasionally he gets a whopper and I feel bad.
    Juju was diagnosed last fall with anterior uveitis in one eye, which I'm told by the ophtho is chronic and will require a steroid eye drop at least once a week forever (he's on an NSAID drop the other days of the week). His initial treatment with the steroid drop (QID every day, then gradually reduced over 2 months) sent his diabetes into a rage and he's been hard to manage since--hence more testing and more potential bruises.
    Thanks in advance!

2. Harley's Mom

Harley's Mom Member

At first Harley was getting bruising if I didn't press the spot for about 10 seconds but that doesn't happen at all anymore.
    I also apply a tiny spot of neosporin each time but the pressure is what does it for me.

3. Traci and Boomer

Traci and Boomer Well-Known Member

My cat has white ears so you can see everything. The interesting thing is that I test him only on one ear and in the same area all the time and miraculously, he's stopped bruising. THEN, I randomly tested the OTHER ear and after one prick he got a huge bruise. If I put pressure on the spot after the test it makes the bruise color worse! So....the moral of my story is that it seems as if the ear I prick all the time has gotten "used to it" and doesn't bruise anymore, the same way that it bleeds for me now without the warming sock. Weird, but good! Maybe this will happen for you too? :?:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.