? How Do You Transport Lantus-Chase and Sandi Moving to South Carolina

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Sandi & Chase in AZ, Sep 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sandi & Chase in AZ

Sandi & Chase in AZ Well-Known Member

Hi All,

So sorry I've been MIA. A lot has happened over the past few weeks. Tomorrow Chase and I leave for South Carolina. My brother broke his neck in a motorcycle accident on 8/22. I am moving there to live with and take care of him.

Can someone please tell me how to transport Lantus. I have 3 pens in the refrigerator. 2 of them are sealed, and then one of them I'm using. What is the best way to transport this? We will be driving there over the course of 5 days. I should have asked this a week ago, but have been so busy. I had only just moved 3 months ago. Here we go again. :(

2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

When I shipped Lantus, I used a small soft-sided cooler and put freezer packs in the bottom of it. Then I wrapped the Lantus in bubble wrap and put it in the cooler. You don’t want the Lantus to touch the freezer packs or it might freeze. Then I put bubble wrap around it to keep it from moving. I don’t know how long that will keep it cool, unless you can find a way to refreeze the freezer packs each night and repack everything the next morning. I’m sorry you are having to deal with so much. Sending prayers for a safe trip and for your brother. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

3. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

@Bobbie And Bubba

She posted some insulated bags that were water activated (?) when we were discussing emergency preparedness. I wish I had put the link in my notes then but didn't.

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  4. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

Dyana likes this.
  5. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Here is the link, I got one that holds up to 5 pens. It is water activated and it will maintain 64.5-78.8 F for 45 hours and then you reactivate the wallet. Remember, that the Lantus freezing is more detrimental to Lantus than heat.

www.FRIOCase.com

LizzieInTexas likes this.
  6. Sandi & Chase in AZ

Sandi & Chase in AZ Well-Known Member

Thank you, everyone. I will have to be able to purchase this at a store. I leave first thing tomorrow morning so ordering it online won't work. I should have posted this so much sooner. :(

7. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

If you have nowhere to refreeze an ice-pack, then a cooler and a bag of ice is a possibility. And, the cold drinks sitting on top of the ice will prevent the Lantus from direct contact with the ice. And you have cold drinks for the ride.

Just make sure the bubble wrapped Lantus is in a waterproof bag.

Have a safe drive. And hope your brother does well. How nice of you to help him out.

8. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Sandi. Are you stopping at hotels? If so, just pack the insulin in a cooler and keep refilling with ice at the hotels. Actually, even if you aren't staying at a hotel, they never check if you just walk in with your cooler and head right to the elevator and get ice up on on of the floors. Even the side doors are usually open during the day hours, just head in a side door. There are always hotels at the stops where you will be getting fuel. Just keep the insulin in an insulated bag above the ice so they don't freeze.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  9. Bobbie And Bubba

Just don't put the Lantus directly on the ice. Like @Red & Rover (GA) said, put your drinks on the ice and the Lantus in a ziplock bag on top. Safe travels to you! You are really getting to be an expert at moving........

10. MyTitan (GA)

MyTitan (GA) Well-Known Member

Vines to you, Chase and your brother! A wonderful thing you are doing. Peace.

11. Bobbie And Bubba

OMG! I just read the thread instead of just going by the title.......(((((Oh Sandy)))0 hugs to you and to your brother! :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

12. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Good luck on your trip. I hope your brother recovers well. :bighug:

13. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

On one trip I used a cooler bag and freezer packs I refroze at the hotels every night. If the hotel doesn't have freezers in your room, they will usually have a hotel one you can use. Insulin went in fridge in room. I put the insulin wrapped in bubble wrap or a face cloth, inside a a Tupperware so it didn't touch the ice or move around in the freezer bag. Second trip was an airplane, then car, and I had a Frio wallet by then, but still used a smaller freezer bag and gel pack.

Vines for your brother. :bighug: Safe travels.

14. Glennie

Glennie Member

So very sorry to hear about your brother. How blessed he is to have you for a sister. Prayers for you and your family in this hard time and for a safe trip.

15. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Sending lots of vines to your brother for a complete recovery. And wishing you a safe trip.

When we travel we use a Coleman Personal Cooler 16. We keep the insulin in bubble wrap inside a small cardboard box. We put the insulin in the bottom of the cooler, food and soda on top, then a layer of 2 or 3 paper bags, then three of the blueice freezer blocks, then another paper bag, then the lid. This keeps the insulin at about 50 degrees all day. At night you can buy some ice to replace the freezer blocks while you are re-freezing them in the motel fridge.
    Cold sinks, so that is why we put the (well protected) insulin in the bottom of the cooler. And it is far away from the freezer blocks, so there is no danger of it freezing.

:bighug::bighug::bighug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.