How is feline leukemia transmitted?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sara and Buttercup, May 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sara and Buttercup

Sara and Buttercup Member

How is feline leukemia transmiitted?

2. Mary & Stormy Blue

Mary & Stormy Blue Member

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/brochures/felv.html

How is FeLV spread?
    Cats persistently infected with FeLV serve as sources of infection. Virus is shed in very high quantities in saliva and nasal secretions, but also in urine, feces, and milk from infected cats. Cat-to-cat transfer of virus may occur from a bite wound, during mutual grooming, and (though rarely) through the shared use of litter boxes and feeding dishes. Transmission can also take place from an infected mother cat to her kittens, either before they are born or while they are nursing. FeLV doesn't survive long outside a cat's body—probably less than a few hours under normal household conditions.

~M

3. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

I have always heard that casual contact, even cat to human to cat contact, can spread the virus. Thus, I always shower after handling shelter cats before handling my own.

4. Lydia & Sid & Jake(GA)

Lydia & Sid & Jake(GA) Well-Known Member

I've heard it takes sustained contact with the virus in order to pass it. Hopefully the virus can't really be passed from human to cat on clothes or skin. I don't think you can be too careful though so washing hands and changing clothes is a great idea. I used to shower after coming home from volunteering at a local cat rescue center.
    I took in a mom cat and 3 feral kittens in February with the intent to socialize the kittens. The mom tested positive for FeLV on an IDEXX Snap and an IFA. I found a placement for her. I have socialized her kittens and had them tested twice: first test negative, second test positive. I am praying that the virus does not pass to my own cats. The kittens have been separated and have had virtually no contact with my own cats. For now my kittens will stay here and I'm not sure what is going to happen. About 70% of kittens infected with FeLV do not survive one year. It is very sad because now they are socialized and ready for homes that they will probably never find. :sad:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.