? How long after feeding a cat can you see the maximum increase in glucose counts?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by johnt, Apr 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnt

johnt Member

pretty much what the title says.

I would like to know how long it takes to maximize the glucose after eating. is that different in every cat or is there a standard?

2. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Like just about everything, it's different for every cat, but I think usually around the +1 mark.

3. johnt

johnt Member

Wow that's a lot faster than i expected.

Ok, so that begs the question. if it takes over 2 hours for the vetsulin to start working, why is it critical that i feed wilbur just before giving him a shot? wouldn't I want to wait so that the vetsulin is ready to kick in as his blood sugar raises? If that makes sense.

I checked his blood sugar once at 199 just before injection. i checked it again 2.5 hours later and it was actually higher at 250. so it hadn't really started handling it yet.

I'm still really trying to learn this so if i sound stupid I'm sorry

4. Djamila

I'd have to defer to someone else on Vetsulin since I really don't know anything about it. For my cat, the +1 tests are higher than the pre-shot, the +2 test is usually about the same as the pre-shot or a little lower, and then by +3, he's going down. But again, every cat is different. I think you just need to get enough data on Wilbur to figure out his patterns.

5. Djamila

By the way, there's nothing stupid about your questions! I've been here a long time and am still asking questions!

6. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

You don't sound stupid at all :cat:. Because every cat is different, can make things more difficult to learn without having generalizations. Data is the best way to learn how Wilbur responds to it. Vetsulin "usually" starts working faster than Prozinc, Lantus, and Levemir, thus a nadir (lowest point) hits between +4 and +6. Try no food 2 hours prior to Pre-shot test, and I think you wait 20-30mins before giving actual shot for Vetsulin. @JanetNJ can confirm. This gives the food time to raise BG a little around the same time the insulin should start working to see the numbers decrease around +2 or +3.

7. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Vetsulin can drop some cats early and fast so having food on board before giving the shot reduces the chance of BG being too low too soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.