? How long did it take you to get your cat regulated?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Misterbeesmom, Jun 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Misterbeesmom

Misterbeesmom Well-Known Member

Its been 8 months and i still have an unhappy poorly regulated cat. I get the impression some folks are lucky and things improve within a matter of days/weeks.

So i thought i'd take a poll with those here who may be interested in sharing please: How long did it take you to get from diagnosis to decent/good glucose control? Thanks

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

It depends upon the cat. I have had cats regulated within a month or two. Other were never regulated and the lived for eight years or so after diagnosis.

Misterbeesmom likes this.
  3. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Carol & Murphy (GA) Well-Known Member

It's been 10 months and Murphy still not regulated

4. Sherry & Zoe (GA)

Sherry & Zoe (GA) Well-Known Member

First time on insulin 6 weeks, second time 14 months.

5. Jan Radar (GA)

Jan Radar (GA) Well-Known Member

First time on insulin - Vetsulin - 4 months of absolutely not being regulated at all. :( Then I started doing research and thanks to FDMB, we learned about proper nutrition for cats. :cat:
    When we switched to a species appropriate diet, Radar raced to remission in just one week. He was fine without insulin for about 5 months.
    The second time on insulin - We've been working on getting him regulated for 6 months. He's better regulated than he was 6 months ago but we're not there yet. The sugar dance has been a process for our family. :)

6. Erica & Carter

Erica & Carter Well-Known Member

Carter was on Vetsulin for 2 weeks (no regulation and I was just in the midst of reading everything on this site so I wanted to switch to a different insulin anyways) and he has been on Lantus since mid April but has only just gotten regulated since the beginning of June. So it took about a month and a half to get him regulated. He had to go up to 3 units and then something just clicked, and he took reduction after reduction this past month and now he's on the lowest dose he can go at .1 unit which is still taking him into the 50s for nadir, mostly keeping him at normal range between 50-120, but a few too many blue PS numbers for an OTJ trial just yet. But I'm hopeful.

I think switching to FF also helped a lot in addition to when I finally found his dose at 3 units. I was feeding Tiki Cat and BFF which is under 3 percent carbs, but I think he needed a few more carbs with the FF (like 5-6%) to really even him out and got the ball rolling.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
  7. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Was about 4 months of totally wonky numbers before we started to see signs of real progress

Hang in there.....the goal should be getting good control and keeping them below renal threshold, not so much remission....if it happens, that's gravy!!

8. Ruby&Baco

Ruby&Baco Well-Known Member

Baco was well regulated after 6 weeks, and after that she had 2 more weeks of insuline and went OTJ. So in total everything took 2 months.:)

jayla-n-Drevon and Misterbeesmom like this.
  9. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

Dre goes back and forth--he had great numbers for a while and then a crazy high that takes a few cycles to come back down....
    hang in there... this dance is has tricky steps!:bighug:

10. Sonya NZ

Sonya NZ Member

First cat - 7 weeks, and has been in remission now for about 18 months.

Second cat - about 8 weeks, and has had no insulin now for 10 days.

11. Jamie N Gizmo

Jamie N Gizmo Member

Gizmo took about 4-5 months to regulate on prozinc. Alot of it was overdosing and bouncing until i realized that's what it was. He's good on diet change alone now

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.