How long do cats with diabetes live?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Mister, Oct 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mister

Mister New Member

How long do cats with diabetes live? If it is controlled somewhat?

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

A pretty normal lifespan if you're diligent and keep the numbers as controlled as possible.

Hyperglycemia damages the body over time. Pancreatitis, hepatic lipidosis (from excess fat breakdown), inflammatory bowel disease, renal disease, and heart disease are some common complications OR diseases which may happen at the same time in diabetics.

Picu likes this.
  3. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

If the diabetes is under control with insulin, food, etc., cats can live a normal, happy lifespan. This does not have to be a death sentence for a cat. Many diabetic cats that have died, died from other issues/complications that had nothing to do with diabetes - such as kidney failure, cancer, etc.

There is no reason to think that if treated for diabetes and in remission, diet controlled or on insulin a cat can live whatever the normal course of its life is and hopefully die from being old.

It's the same as people. If a diabetic person is treating their diabetes and taking good care of themselves, there is no reason to think that person won't live a long normal lifetime.

Hope that helps you.

4. Mister

Mister New Member

It does help...I wish I knew how old he is. When I look at him all skinny and vocal and hungry I really begin to think how much I'll miss him. Of all our cats, for some reason the sick one had to be our favorite...or maybe the reason he is our favorite is because he is sick. I dunno...

5. Barb & Mr. Frog

Barb & Mr. Frog Member

When my Frog was diagnosed six months ago, he was skeletal ... I was certain he was hovering at death's door, since changing the food and starting insulin, he is a whole different cat again, shiny fur, I can touch him without feeling bones, and he only cries now when his sugar goes over 180 or his tummy is upset. Don't give up, listen to the people here, they will help you save your baby!

6. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

My Mousie was diagnosed at four and a half years old. She's now eleven and going strong, and on insulin the whole time too. :)

7. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I adopted my Patches in Feb 05 when she was already diabetic. She is 15 now and doing OK. She is showing her age. I also adopted two diagnosed but not yet treated diabetic cats and they died in less than a year. One from mammary cancer and the other from heart condition.

8. Dana & Thomas

Dana & Thomas Member

My Thomas lived with diabetes for close to 12 years. We let him go last October at the ripe old age of 19 1/2.
    Dana

9. Jana+BK(GA)+Chester(GA)+Wilbur

Jana+BK(GA)+Chester(GA)+Wilbur New Member

I have two diabetic cats...B.K. is now almost 20 years old and was diagnosed when he was 5; Wilbur is my newest sweet boy and when I adopted him his diabetes was unregulated. Since regulation, he has gained all his weight back and his coat is awesome (if I do say so myself!). Wilbur has been diabetic for approx. 3 years and, believe me, he is going strong!

10. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

My Michelangelo was diagnosed at 6 months old. He's coming up on his one year anniversary since diagnosis and has never had a diabetes-related complication. When I take him into the vet, they are impressed with how healthy he is and comment that he's in better shape than even most of their non-diabetic patients. I hope to have him for at least another 20 years, if not forever. :lol:

Picu likes this.
  11. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

As others have said, a cat whose diabetes is well managed can live a normal life span.

My Bertie has been diabetic and on insulin for just over six and a half years. He's now about 14 years old, I think. He's been a pretty tricky diabetic and had horrible high blood glucose numbers for quite a long time after his diagnosis, so I thought he may be doomed to poor health; but so far he's had no complications from his diabetes (touch wood/anti jinx!).

He was very skinny and weak when diagnosed, but once on insulin he regained his weight and his strength pretty quickly. Insulin is amazing stuff! :smile:

Eliz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.