How long til new dose should take effect?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Nancy and Pasha, Jul 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nancy and Pasha

Nancy and Pasha Member

We raised Pasha's insulin by another half unit Friday. On Saturday I tested him twice (before shot and 7.5 hours later--could not do it sooner, until husband came home). His glucose was 433 before the shot, 491 seven and a half hours later.

Does it take some time on the new dose before one would expect any results? Or does it have an effect right away, if it's going to?

How long after raising the dose should you do the next curve, ideally?

Thanks,

Nancy

2. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

Hi Nancy,

difficult to answer your question as no info.
    Depends on what insulin your using.

Recommend here, that beans always test before a shot and then dependent on work schedules, various other tines to see what impact a shot is having. Will also dependon what sort of numbers kitty is showing.If there low then more frequent tests are recommended so if go into hypo numbers you can catch it early and 'treat'
    You usually look at increasing dose every 3-5 days, depending on insulin and numbers. Your trying to get to kitty's ideal dose-hopefully after this, you might be looking at decreasing, just depends. General rule is to increase in .25u increments (unless your high dose-different ball game).

Be good if you can set up a spread sheet,beans will be able to offer you step by step suppor and guidance for as long as you need it.

Good luck :mrgreen:

3. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

As was said, it's hard to tell with little info.

What insulin are you using?
    Different insulins last different lengths of time and are treated differently and handled differently.

What dose are you giving?
    How long were you on the previous dose?
    What were the BG numbers from the previous dose?
    How long has your cat been on insulin and what was the starting dose?
    What are you feeding?

More importantly, how is your cat acting and feeling?
    The numbers maybe be important but not as much as the cat. You will see improvement in your cat before you see an improvement in the numbers.

As was said, it's near impossible to reply with the info provided, but if you can give more details, I am sure you will get some full answers.

As for a dose to start working or making a noticeable effect, it depends on the cat, the dose, and the insulin.

I find that one of my cats may show some reaction after 3 or 4 shots, but there are some cats that may take 6 shots or more.

4. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

From previous posts, Pasha is on Lantus and now up to 3.5u BID

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.