How long to clear a rebound?

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Beth & Atlas, May 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beth & Atlas

Beth & Atlas Well-Known Member

Just wondering if anyone here has experience on how long it take to clear a Humulin N rebound?

I am at post 48 hours and readings are starting to creep back up into the 400's on 2u.

Clinical signs are returning of PD/PU.

Attached Files:

2. Sweetgrass & the Furries

Sweetgrass & the Furries Member

Hello. Sorry you have been waiting for a reply.
    Rebound takes anywhere from 1-4 days, every cat is different.

What I am seeing looking at your chart though, is that you had a 90 midcycle on 2 units on May 5th, and the highs still around 300 and 400. That is showing that 2 units is more than enough right now and I would advise against a big increase.

I would suggest that N is not lasting nearly long enough and that is why you are getting the spikes.
    More insulin results in too fast and harsh a drop, and less insulin doesn't seem to bring the levels down to stay. These are good reasons to look at using a different insulin. Have you talked to your vet about this?

Your kitty seems to like a flatter and shallower curve and would do well with one of the longer lasting insulins as lantus and levemir are.
    Meanwhile, I personally would not increase more than 0.25 at a time, and see if that helps.

You could also consider shooting a bit early, before the high 400 levels.
    Say, about 9 hours after shot and above about 280.

How does that idea seem?

Forgive my lack of background knowledge here, but what are you feeding? Are there any other medical issues like an infection etc?
    Please keep us posted :)

Kimmee

3. Beth & Atlas

Kimmie,

Thanks for taking a look at his chart and offering advice.

This evening he is at 433 :YMSIGH:

It is nice to have a few folks agree with me too. I knew 8 units was a lot, but he had been at the vet for over 5 weeks being treated for diabetes and a number of other maladies.

Patience is not my forte, so this shooting and waiting for days....ugh!!!!!!!

How do you know when the rebound is cleared?

4. Beth & Atlas

Kimmee, the May 5th was at 4 units, not 2. But either way it appears to me that even the 4 was too much. So we're now at 2.

Shooting earlier would be tough. Right now we're on 7am and 7pmish. I don't get home from work until 6:30ish. So your talking about going three times a day and my schedule won't allow for that.

Background: Atlas is a shelter cat I am fostering. His initial intro is in the signature line.
    We're feeding the Purina DM which according to Binky's chart is pretty good.
    Purina DM 46 47 7 I was pleased with the vets choice of food. Atlas is not overweight, but grossly underweight at his 9lbs. He is still skin and bones. So he does get half a cup of dry DM to graze on during the day. Again, this appears fairly ok Purina DM (CNM-DM) 50 37 13 If I tried doing wet...he'd just gobble it up like a little piggy.

Since he is still in recovery, I expect to have some dis-regulation with him and watch him closely of signs of even mild hypo. I suspected as he gets better his insulin needs would decrease. His vet 8units had reasonable curves, but around May 5th his needs changed. It happens.

5. Sweetgrass & the Furries

Sweetgrass & the Furries Member

Awwww... I understand about the dry and being thin.
    Because dry is in the equation it is likely a little more insulin will be needed.
    Can you hang in with 2 units til end of tomorrow and then if needed just bring dose up a little bit at a time?
    Judging by his repsonse to 4 units ( sorry I missed that note ) somewhere between 2 and 3 units may well be where you end up but you don't want to increase too quickly or you end up with a steep drop and rebound again.

Hang in there, a wise soul here once said, "this is a marathon not a race", and by moving too quickly you can end up in all kinds of rollercoaster swings.
    I still think a different longer lasting insulin will see you guys with a shallower curve in the long run though.

:) Kimmee

6. Beth & Atlas

Well here we are about a week out now. I followed the vets advice and increased his dosage to 3 units after the 72 hours.

I was able to get several +4 tests done and one came in at a 97 and the other at a 141. :smile:

Off tomorrow so the schedule has a curve in it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.