How much insulin?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kathleen and Fred, Aug 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kathleen and Fred

Kathleen and Fred Member

Hello everyone.

I'm getting conflicting directions for my vet(s). Fred (Diag. 12/24/09) was given ProZinc and was off the juice by March 2010. At the time of diagnosis, his numbers were around 400, but quickly dropped (with the proper wet food and injections) to under 100. We continued that way (testing but no injections) until June, when he contracted Hemobart and became anemic.

During that crisis, his BG got at high as 225 and he was given 1u of ProZinc every 12 hours. The Hemobart issue is over. His PCV/TS is 39-40 and he's off all meds, but his BG is staying around 125 - spiking some days to 170.

I've been told to give 1u when he goes over 150, and maybe 1/2 from 100-150. Another vet said not to shoot under 150. Fred actually feels best between 80-90...lower makes him feel "weak".

I'd like better (more accurate) guidelines. Maybe there are none, but I'd like your thoughts on what you've tried and what seems to work best.

Many thanks,

Kathleen & Fred.

2. Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin

Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin Well-Known Member

Did they say why it has to be 1U? Getting cats OTJ is usually a weaning process, where you gradually decrease the dose. With BGs under 200 on your type of insulin, if you give insulin at all, perhaps it should be .25U or .5U, but on a cat who's gone OTJ before and flirting with it again, 1U is probably too much.

Since you're home testing, why not try .25U if BGs over 150 and see how that goes? Basically you want to give the pancreas a little help, not too much.

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

As Vicky said you decrease the dose. In your case I would start at say 1/4 units when above 150 and they adjust dose up or down depending upon BG and experience.

4. Kathleen and Fred

Kathleen and Fred Member

My vet told me this am that she doesn't think I need shot over 150, which is pretty much what you have said. I'll try .50 when over 150, then down to .25 and see how that goes. The vet said she'd like to keep Fred between 100 -150, but that's a lot higher than he was OTJ, when he was consistently 80 - 100.

He eats, etc. OK, so I don't want to mess with good progress.

Thanks for your great advice!

Kathleen & Fred

5. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Kathleen,

You may already be doing this, but often it helps when you "feed the pancreas" with several smaller lo carb meals daily (and nightly). Sometimes that helps even out the bg levels.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.