How soon does BG change after eating?

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Jan Radar (GA), Jul 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jan Radar (GA)

Jan Radar (GA) Well-Known Member

Can anyone point me in the direction of information about how soon after eating I can expect BG to change? Radar's BG was 182 this morning preshot. I decided to only give him 7 units of Vetsulin instead of the 8 we've been giving because that seemed like a low place to begin the day. I tested him at + 2 and his number was 62. I then gave him a snack of FF with gravy because I didn't want that number to drop anymore. I also offered some kibble which he ate with no hesitation. I'm close to +3 and will test again to see where we are...

Am I over-reacting? Or is this a reasonable course of action? I guess I'm feeling a bit nervous because I got caught up on my reading about hypoglycemia yesterday and prepared my toolbox.

2. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

62 isn't hypo. It's a great number on and off insulin. Under 50 is when you need to worry. Good that you have your toolbox ready.

So far, you're doing a great job today keeping a close watch on the numbers. I am not familiar with Vetsulin and its effect with dose changes/on BG but it's in a similar class with Novolin and Humulin in that they are not long lasting like Lantus and Levemir.

I wonder if Lantus, Levemir or even ProZinc would be better for Radar. Hopefully someone here can advise.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  3. Jan Radar (GA)

Thanks for the encouragement. His last test was 102 so I feel better about the direction. :)

Cat Ma likes this.
  4. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

Numbers going up a bit. You are a dedicated tester! Be sure to stick to low carb food unless BG # falls under 50.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
    Jan Radar (GA) likes this.
  5. Jan Radar (GA)

I just got off the phone with the Vet and he says that Radar has earned a reduction. Yeah! It's nice to know that my "mommy instincts" are in tune with what my little guy needs. Am emboldened now to continue with the transition to all wet food. Radar agrees. :cat:

jayla-n-Drevon, zzyzzx and Cat Ma like this.
  6. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

Well done!

Jan Radar (GA) likes this.
  7. Morisa

Morisa New Member

That is wonderful! Congratulations!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.