? How to advise petsitter who can't test

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Mitzelplik's Mom, Jun 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mitzelplik's Mom

Mitzelplik's Mom Member

Hi, haven't posted much lately. We're going on vacation in 2 weeks and will be gone for 8 days. The cat sitter will come twice a day to give Mitz her injections but she is not able to test her BG. Mitz's current dose is ranging from .8 to 1 unit. Her SS is up to date. I'm thinking I can probably have the sitter stick with .8 safely but I waned to ask what others have done in this situation. Should I consider lowering it to .6? Any advice will be welcome.
    Thanks,
    Joan

Kate and Kloever likes this.
  2. Kate and Kloever

Kate and Kloever Member

I would love to know this answer too!!! Will be gone 5 days in July...shots will be given...but no testing?

3. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Generally we suggest a slightly reduced dose.
    Sometimes, cats don't eat as well when you're not home.
    Also, provide vet contact info, directions, a permission to treat in emergency.
    Notify vet of pet sitter's name, provide your emergency contact info to them.

Kate and Kloever likes this.
  4. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I would give a reduced does on 0.6 or so to be on the safe side

5. Mitzelplik's Mom

Mitzelplik's Mom Member

Thanks @BJM and @Larry and Kitties for confirming my instinct. And BJ, good point about providing directions to the vet. I didn't think of that.

6. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

I leave my credit card number with my vet when I go away with permission to give the number to the emergency hospital should the need arise. That way I know there won't be any issues should an emergency crop up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.