How to clean/sanitize with URI

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Marvie and Tugger, Jun 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marvie and Tugger

Marvie and Tugger Well-Known Member

As many of you know, Brady came to me with a nasty URI. He's been sneezing and had green globs coming out. He is on ab's for it and we still have some time before he will be allowed out with the others in the house but I'm starting to wonder about how to clean the room he is in. I want to be sure first that he isn't re-infecting himself with his own germies but also I want to be sure the room will be safe once we can open it up. I don't need Echo (the blind baby who has open eye sockets) or any of the other critters to pick something up when they eventually go in to sniff out the new guy's smells.

I'll obviously be washing all of the sheets and blankets from his room in hot wash water and drying on high heat, I presume adding bleach (I should probably go ask the knitters on Ravelry if bleach will melt the acrylic crocheted blankets, I've never bleached acrylic before) will kill the germies?

If that is the case I then can assume wiping down the hard surfaces in his room with bleach water is what I need to do? Will Lysol spray be enough on things like the little bit of carpeting and such that can't be washed in the machine?

I have a steam mop to deal with the floors, it has attachments that I can use to steam some of the other surfaces in the room and I can hit the carpeted bit of the closet/desk area with the steam if Lysol isn't sufficient. If Lysol will work, can I use the liquid stuff in the wash instead of bleach?

Or am I going into overkill here? Will normal soap and water work fine?

I hope I've been taking enough precautions already. Brady has his own food and water bowls and spoon for getting the food out of the can which are not being used for the other cats at all. He has his own lb and we have a scooper for that room only. We wash our hands/arms with hot water and normal hand soap or dish soap (it's not off the shelf commercial so I don't think it's antibacterial) We do have hand sanitizer as well and have been using it. I change my clothes after he's been in my lap or rubbing his face on my clothes. I have been wearing shoes into his room and then walking around the rest of the house in them, is this a mistake? I just thought of it this second.

I'm only concerned because this germ, whatever it is, seems to be pretty tough stuff if it hangs out in shelters and is so hard to get rid of there. Brady seems to have had this URI or some version of it anyway for the past two and a half or three years.

I not only have my own babies to be worried about but over the holiday weekend I will have several other dogs staying with me as well. It's slightly possible that Brady might be well enough to let out of his room by then, so I really need to be careful here. Two of the dogs who are coming are somewhat young, one is under a year, the other is just over two but both are healthy and utd on shots the third is an older boy, also utd and healthy as far as I know.

I'm really hoping Brady is able to be freed by then because we may need his room for isolating dogs, since Isis went into heat on me before I could get her spayed. Boomer has been a PITA about this already and I am about to have two other neutered male Danes here... and the third dog, who will only be overnight and part of the next day, is not altered. He is crate trained so I can keep him away from her but the only other room I have to put him in has no door so she could still get to him. Brady's room is the only other secure spot. I can't afford to say no to that client, I get good money for overnight visits and this guy is a regular. This one weekend will pay for a decent portion of Brady's next vet visit :!:

Oh, and I forgot to mention. I just found out this morning that hubby will not be home at all that weekend. I have one 15 year old boy to watch over the animals in this house (8 are mine plus 1 one night and when he leaves add two GD's for three days/nights) and I will not be home the majority of that time because I will be out taking care of a crapton of other people's pets while they are away from home. Looks like 6am-10pm kind of days. Thank Bast neither of the FD's need shots and spot checks :lol: I also thank Tugger for teaching me how to be awake and functional on little or no sleep. :mrgreen: If all goes well, the money I make from the outside of the house part of my weekend will pay the rest of Brady's bills AND Isis's spay when she gets through this cycle :mrgreen: :mrgreen: So please help me avoid any further vet bills and keep the rest of this zoo healthy nailbite_smile

2. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Hey Marvie, I don't know the answer to your question immediately, but I'm going to do some research today with regard to how the women in Saranac Lake who turned their houses into cure cottages during the heyday of TB (before antibiotics) dealt with keeping the patients' germs at bay. I believe I read somewhere about this. I'll get back to you later. In the meantime--carry on!!! (I can't believe how busy you are).
    Stu says hi to Tugger.

Ella

3. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

uri /herpes germs are not that hardy outside the cats. Diluted bleach water should be fine to wipe down everything in the room.. its probably overkill but if thats what you have, it wont hurt to use it. Probably your laundry will be fine in regular wash. If it were Calicivirus then I would have a different opinion but I think hes just a symptomatic herpes carrier. Many cats have been exposed to Herpes but do not have outbreaks like Brady.

URI/herpes is not contagious to dogs..

4. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

It's buried deep in my memory that you shouldn't use Lysol around cats.

The wikipedia says " Phenol-based products are often used for cleaning and disinfecting near cats' feeding areas or litter boxes: such as Pine-Sol, Dettol (Lysol) or hexachlorophene,[97] but these can sometimes be fatal.[105]"

I would use the diluted bleach in the room. Remember to use gloves. I wouldn't bleach a fabric that I wouldn't otherwise bleach.

Good luck with all the balls you have in the air!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.