How to handle full time job and a diabetic cat

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by evakot, Feb 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evakot

evakot Member

Hi All,

I am new- my Big Kitty just got diagnosed this past Friday. I am actually in the process of changing vets as my first vet prescribed Humulin N at 4 units twice a day (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) and said to bring the cat back for testing in 2 weeks- COMPLETLY RECKLESS. I have an appoinment tomorrow with a vet who said they use Lantus. In the meantime, I switched my cats (have a girl, too) to all-wet diet since Saturday and they are eating it very well. As I am gearing up for beginning the treatment, I'm completly overwhelmed with the logistics.

My husband and I both leave the house at 6:30 am and are not back until a little before 7pm- that is already more than 12 hours. I just started my attempts at home testing 2 days ago, and out of 3 times I tried, only one time worked... :sad: (BC was 269; at the vets' office it was 400). In addition, it takes me a minimum of 20 minutes to even get Big Kitty settled down enough to try the testing. I REALLY don't know how I will do this before work...

I'm also very concerned about shooting him and then leaving for the whole day. I don't have a way to come home at lunch to check on him. This scares me a whole lot.

Would it be better to hold off with shots until I can get enough practice with testing? If for some reason I can't test him (e.g. he runs under the bed) is it better to miss the shot?

How do other people deal with having to work long hours and taking care of their diabetic cats...? Any advice on how to tackle this overwhelming task?

Thanks,
    Eva

2. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Hi welcome to the FDMB!

Unfortunately my journey with my cat on insulin began and happened during a time when I wasn't working, so I couldn't begin to tell you how hard or easy it is...BUT,,,I know there are many members here who do work or go to school and treat with insulin, get BG testing in there on days off, in the evenings, on the weekends, and with good success.

There are ways around it, making slight adjustments, finding out if there are family members, friends, neighbors who can help out...there are ways around it, just got be a bit creative, unfortunately, skipping shots, skipping testing won't benefit the kitty and only make the treatment harder to manage.

Hoping others will give you their experiences and suggestions, don't give up thou - treating feline diabetes is the best thing you can do for your cat! It's not hopeless - it's a life saver!

3. Sherri & Stash (GA)

Sherri & Stash (GA) Member

First, you take a deep breath and congratulate yourself on 1) recognizing your vet was not at all attuned to Feline Diabetes, 2) you've started home testing and 3) you switched to an all-wet diet!

Many of us work and can possibly be gone long periods due to commutes. There are ways to make the shot schedule work. I suggest you go over to the Lantus ISG and read all the starred "stickies" at the top of the board. Then, post on the board with your scheduling concerns for ideas.

It is not uncommon for a kitty to be 100 points or higher at the vet. By home testing you know that.

Finally, get tests every chance you can so you can practice. Someone will be along to post the links on testing. Not all kitties take right to it, but the important thing is to make sure Kitty knows you are the boss and you are not afraid.

Remember the treats. A treat for Kitty... a treat for Momma... another treat for Kitty... two treats for Momma... drinking24

4. Dawn & Nova

Dawn & Nova Well-Known Member

Did your x-vet do any other tests besides a blood glucose reading? Should have been at least a blood panel to check for other possible causes (like infection) and get an idea what his blood glucose levels have been for the last while (helps them get a better idea, since the numbers can really spike at the vet from stress), a teeth check up and a urine test.

Just wondering if you should get a redo on the figure out what's going on process, since your x-vet seems a little crazy. In the mean time the switch to low carb wet food you are working on will likely lower his numbers, and you can get lots of practice tests in.

Might be something worth at least discussing with the new vet.

I personally wouldn't worry too much about the 12.5/11.5 hour split. There's optimal and then there's real life. Some people may freak out.. but my husband works out of town (and is gone a month at a time), and I sometimes have to work late. It just is what it is.

Testing however is not optional. If you and your husband can both get totally into it, it's possible you could do nightly curves/spot checks (taking turns so you can both get some sleep) to get a handle on how things are going during the shorter period.

Very few of us test 24 hours a day.. I don't check at night when I'm sleeping.. it would be just as fine to check during the night time hours instead.

5. evakot

evakot Member

Thank you for your words of encouragement, Sherri and Ronnie.

I will soon have more info about the dosage, schedule, etc- have a visit tomorrow, hope this vet is better than the first one.

Also- is it normal to get blood drawn from the cat's ear on the first try and then nothing on 3 next tries (tonight my hubby tried- ZERO results)??? It's like BK's ears just suddenly went dry- we poke but nothing comes out. I did everything just like the first time when it did work- used the rice sock, vaseline, etc. VERY FRUSTRATING, cause I know his well-being is gonna depend on my ability to test.

Thanks again,

E

6. evakot

evakot Member

7. Sherri & Stash (GA)

Sherri & Stash (GA) Member

You may find that one ear bleeds more easily than the other. We learned that there is no point in testing Stash's left ear. It will not bleed. Doesn't matter how much we massage or warm or stand on our heads. No blood is coming out. The right ear... well... sometimes it's like that little ear was waiting all day to gush for us. Other times we really have to milk the drop.

Try practicing when it's not pre-shot. No stress. No worries. Plus it gets Kitty accustomed to the process. Also, are you free-handing, or using a lancet pen device? I really like the Soft Clix that came with our original OneTouch Ultra. We just had to start using the OneTouch Ultra Mini (dog ate the OTU) and used the lancet pen that came with it. OMG! It was like using a harpoon - even on the lowest setting. Stash started running from us at test time, and we've been doing this for three years! We went back to the Soft Clix and life is good again!

8. evakot

evakot Member

[Also, are you free-handing, or using a lancet pen device?

We were free-handing. Maybe that's the problem...We tried both ears though- it's puzzling. The very first time I tried I got a pretty drop and he didn't even complain too much, now, a desert- ears dried up. Hubby is taking Big K to the vet tomorrow, I told him to ask the vet to demonstrate the ear poking...Last resort- we will do the paws, however, BK is a paw-touch-phobic- HATES to even have his paws petted...

E

9. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

(((Welcome))) I am a newbie & it is challenging with a full time job (2 jobs 1 full time/1 part time) plus I workout everyday for 2 hours. With that being said.. I make it work, I am single & live alone with my two furbabies. It is not easy.. it is a committment - but a fight I never (not for one minute) regret fighting. We have been at this about a month. It is not always convienent, but it is always worth it.

Be creative, think ahead.. plan ahead.. make arrangements. Could you be home for AM, Husband PM?
    I was also nervous about not being here to see how Baby reacts to the shot.. So I get up every morning at 4am, test, feed & shoot.. go back to bed & then test again at 6am so I have my +2 reading (we are on Lantus - a 12 hour insulin) this still allows me to get to work by 7am.

Anyway... hang in there.. if you are willing.. a way will be made.

**I free hand & do not use a Lancet... nearly a month now & Baby meets me to test!! It gets easier but some days are hard.. but in the end, your sugar kitty will understand & work with you usually.

10. Dawn & Nova

In my opinion, the lancet devices are one of the most beautiful things on earth.. I got the accu-check aviva one (6 lancets in an easy to load barrel), recommended to me by my Type I diabetes human friend who just loves it.. but experiences vary. As for the blood, you aren't alone.. sometimes I really have to work for it, and sometimes a tiny poke results in niagra falls.

Don't give up on the ears so quick.. my cat is a total diva that hates her ears being touched (but not as much as she hates her feet touched! :) ) and complains about everything.. she goes out of her way to make it difficult and I often have to poke her a number of times.. polysporin for her ears and brushes and cat treats for her soul.. she gets over it pretty quick.

11. evakot

evakot Member

Where can I buy one...? I got my Precision X glucometer at Walmart, but did not see lancet devices, but maybe just didn't look closely enough...

12. Heather & Seasaidh (GA)

Heather & Seasaidh (GA) Member

Hi & welcome!

The great thing about Lantus is that cats will seek out food when their bg level goes low. I've been out of work for awhile and recently adopted a diabetic stray. My first experience with Lantus. Bumper definitely would get up from his catnap and go check out the food bowls. I'd test him and sure enough, he'd be getting low.

Testing was difficult for me at first too, even though I had another sugarkitty before. He had been diet-controlled for four years so I was out of practice. My first sugarkitty's ears were messed up from frostbite and hematoma. I got used to using only his right ear (the one without the hematoma), and although I was able to get blood sometimes from the other ear, it was much easier for me with the right ear. And that's how it is for me and Bumper even though his ears are perfect. I just can't get blood from his left ear.

Keep practicing with the testing; you will get better at it. One thing to remember though is that *you* are in charge, not your kitty. Your kitty will soon learn that this is something that has to be done, it is not optional, and usually with treats they come to like "treatment time."

13. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

"Keep practicing with the testing; you will get better at it. One thing to remember though is that *you* are in charge, not your kitty. Your kitty will soon learn that this is something that has to be done, it is not optional, and usually with treats they come to like "treatment time"

That is absolutely the best way to say it. Hands down, Heather!

14. Dawn & Nova

I got mine with the meter.. in Canada (at least in Alberta) it's pretty common that the major competitors have the buy 100 strips get the meter and lancet device free deals... My advice would be to call around to a few stores with pharmacies and ask if they have any separately.. here they are kept behind the counter (wouldn't want people running around testing their blood glucose levels all the time aaaaaaaaah ;) ) but I don't know about other areas. You'll probably want to go with one from a decently sized chain so you can get a hold of the lancets pretty easy.

The pre-loaded drums are absolutely dreamy for me since I screw it up a lot and can give it another attempt with little hassle.. the downside of the drums is you can't reuse a lancet once you've fired it.. even if it didn't do anything... I have the Accu-Chek Multiclix Lancet Device.. but probably almost any device would be helpful.. I've never tried the manual way, but I've watched the vet staff do it.. and I think they are nuts :). My cat, despite many previous attempts, likes to see if her ear (that I am holding) is still attached to her head just micro-seconds before I fire.. I'm pretty sure I would stab myself daily doing it manually :).

15. evakot

evakot Member

Huh, huh !!!! :lol: I know what you mean...my cat decides to fold his ear nealty back onto his head a split second after I poke him and while I'm trying to milk for blood!

16. evakot

evakot Member

Thank you, Nicole. I posted a reply to you last night, but for some reason it is not showing on the list..? Anyway, I wrote that I am definetly committed to making it work and the one crucial step is for me to master testing. If I can test him quickly and efficiently, all the rest can be worked out, somehow. I really admire all you are doing for Baby- getting up at 4am, etc. And doing it alone must not be easy...

Thanx again,

E

17. Julia & Bandit (GA)

Julia & Bandit (GA) Well-Known Member

I work a full time job, a part time job, and go to grad school, so I feel your pain. When Bandit was diagnosed, I had to change my work hours a little to accomodate his 7am/7pm shot schedule. That meant getting up earlier and leaving work earlier some nights. If possible, can you or your husband rearrange your schedule a bit so that someone is there for both the am/pm time?

Bloodtesting was hard for me at first, but once you get the hang of it it takes no time at all in the morning. I bought a basket that I lined with fleece blankets, and I but bandit in it and wrap him up like a burrito when he struggles with me. I use the relion lancet device (with 29 gauge lancets...the 31 gauge don't draw enough blood for my newer meter, the aviva). I'm not sure how much blood the precision x requires, but I started with the relion micro. It was a great beginnning meter because the strips are cheap, it's easy to use, and it requires VERY little blood, so you can get your poking technique down without milking the spot for more blood. I make sure Bandit gets a treat with every poke (very important!). A good way to get some practice in is to catch your cat when he/she's sleeping. The ears are already warm and a sleepy cat is relaxed and probably won't struggle with you. I know Bandit usually opens his eyes after I'm done and just goes back to sleep, like he wasn't sure what just happened.

I have the same problem with being gone all day. I'm more cautious about Bandit's dose than most and make sure he has access to food while I'm gone (He's a binge eater, so I have a timed autofeeder). I get spot checks at night when I'm home, and sometimes that does mean getting up every couple hours to do a curve if he's low. I try to catch up on sleep on the weekends, but it is a struggle for me.

18. MicheleS

MicheleS Member

I personally wouldn't worry about the split so much. So long at you are at least 10 hrs out AND testing, it'll be fine. You do what you have to do...

I work FT as well. I've been running home over lunch (giving up the gym!) on some days to spot check BG. I bought an automatic feeder for daytime feedings when I am gone. Last Sat, I did a partial curve. Again, you do what you can. Recognize that you are ALREADY doing more than most clients. Really.

Michele

19. mikasmom

mikasmom New Member

I'm sure others have said this too, but it is very overwhelming and first but it does get better. Before you know it you'll be a pro. I was so bad at the ear sticks at first and our kitty was OTJ for many months and now I'm back into it--very rusty but getting better again. I can't say enough about a lancet pen--I also use the Freestyle Lite meter which I've found the best prices on strips and it also uses smaller amounts of blood. I tried a whole bunch of different meters and pens before settling on this one. One thing I remembered from other posts that I did recently was "milked" the ear after I stuck it and it actually started bleeds a few seconds later--I have been impatient in the past and would poke again before giving the first poke a chance. Also, I put a cotton pad behind the ear so that there is something to stablize the ear which gives me more success. Lantus helped Mika as well--she was first on Humulin N and getting nowhere! You'll get better at all of this and your kitty will get used to it don't worry :smile:

20. Jean and Megan

Jean and Megan Member

With the Multiclix, you can use a lancet twice (or more) - the one you just used; simply cock the device (push the end in like a pen, but don't turn it) and do the same way you did the first time. It's true, though, that once you turn to a new lancet, you can't turn back to an old one. (Turning the end of the device is how you advance to a new lancet.)

I got mine with the Aviva meter, also. But I think I recall seeing the Multiclix lancet device by itself available at Target(?) Not sure about that, but the device certainly is available separately, not only in meter kits.

This is one case where buying lancets online can be worthwhile. Most lancets are so inexpensive that it isn't worth going the online route just for them, but the drums cost a little more. Online, though, they cost noticeably less. (We're talking maybe $15 in Walgreens vs. $9 on Hocks for a box of 102 lancets, which I think is 17 drums. Not a huge difference and certainly not a big expense compared to strips or insulin, but perhaps worthwhile, especially if you are buying other supplies at the same time.)

21. Dawn & Nova

Ugh no way! That's what I get for following the directions, I should have played with it more stabbing myself. Thanks for the info!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.