? How to handle unintentional skipped insulin dose

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by PurrKat, Mar 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PurrKat

PurrKat New Member

I missed my cat insulin this am feeding. (FYI in HST or it is approx. 10am here as I write this) I’m going thru the worry wart process of – if he needs insulin, I should give him some, on one hand and let it go on the other or high BG better than low.

My question is what to do if missed an Insulin dose by mistake. Seemed a rather simple question with general guidelines to follow answer.

But then the more I think about it…responses could be very dependent on the program, individual cat, perhaps type of insulin, feeding schedule, on and on…and then I run into that I tend to overthink things and am back where I started.

I’ve done some Searches and not finding discussions about unintentional skipping an insulin dose. I’m not happy having to admit I’ve ‘forgot’. But since I have, today, I’d like to have a better idea of how to handle the situation.

At the moment I’m running with what I call the ‘high BG better than low’ plan. Tested at feed +4hrs w/BG 401.

Any thoughts, suggestions?

2. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

How long ago was he due for shot? If it's been a while, I would just treat it as a Fur Shot and just stay on schedule for his PM shot.

3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

If it's quite close (say, within any hour) to shot time you could give the dose. If it's beyond that the simplest, safest thing is to regard it as a "fur shot" (we all have them occasionally!) and pick up where you left off at the next dose. No harm done. Some of us skip the dose if we have an outing that will take us away around shot time. I've done it a couple of times.

One circumstance where it's unwise to skip a shot is if a kitty is recovering from a DKA episode. Insulin is critical to keep ketones at bay then.

4. PurrKat

PurrKat New Member

Thank you.

That is what I’m looking for – with some time guides. How long is ‘a while’? At what point cut your losses and do better the next feeding?

Fur Shot? Is that when amount of insulin received is unknown since can feel a wet spot on the fur? If so, ok, Vet does advise not to try to estimate and make up for that.
    That helps. Need to keep that tidbit handy alongside High better than Low.

I’ve assembled Emergency plan guidelines (hope to never need again) and trying to be a better caretaker. Find myself running into non-emergency situations and questioning if I could have handled them better.

9:00am BG was 401. 10:30am is 442 so it it’s climbing. He is giving me high values signs such as ask if any food coming.

I’m listening, really I am. But, having trouble getting past the knowledge chilling out was not always the best idea.
    Perhaps should have said already that he was in Somogyi, now almost at the end of 3 wks to stabilize - why I'm fretting over this now.

So, a mid-day food/insulin bump more likely to whack him out again –or- help keep things steady?

Perhaps, if BG continues to climb, maybe offer food at noon and if eats say at least 1oz, deliver ½ dose?

Or, someone needs to pat my hand murmuring, ‘There now'? (...stop fretting, it's unnecessary, let it go...)

5. Yong & Maury GA

Correct. Don't try to re-shoot.

More likely to whack him out and cause conflict for next dose.

I'm not familiar with Novolin N but 'a while' for Prozinc is within an hour. So if shot was due at 09:00, we could still safely shoot (numbers permitting) before 10:00. Don't panic, you will get back on schedule with his PM shot. :)

6. PurrKat

PurrKat New Member

Mahalo nui loa. 'More likely to whack him out and cause conflict for next dose.' I needed to hear (mo betta den da pat hand.)

Geeze this do nothing and stifling the clamor of, Do SOMETHING is a struggle I didn't expect. :banghead:

I managed to refrain from doing anything other than not rely on his coming to dinner (sometimes I have to fetch him) and ignore his requests to go do outside stuff.
    BG still elevated but I feel better. Awa seems well enough, feeling better than he was this morning and didn't wear me out asking to be fed.

Thank you for being there.

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  7. Yong & Maury GA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.