How to PREVENT Diabetes in young cats

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by oreosmom, Mar 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oreosmom

oreosmom Member

Hi Lantus Friends,

Since you are the "in-the-trenches" experts on kitty diabetes, I decided to ask you the following question:

What cat foods, wet or dry , would be most helpful in preventing diabetes further down the road? We currently are feeding them Purina Pro-plan Savor wet food. During the day, I leave out some Purina Focus Kibble, while I am at work. Our two cats are one year old and we have a fourteen year old female calico with arthritis. Unfortunately the young cats will get into our older cat's food, so we try to monitor, but not always successful.

I would love your opinions on this topic.

Best wishes,

Carol...Oreo's Mom

2. Tina & Sammy

Tina & Sammy Well-Known Member

Honestly, I don't know if there is anyway to prevent it. If the cat's pancreas stops functioning for any reason the cat will become diabetic. I can say that eliminating all dry food from their diet could help prevent some incidents of higher blood glucose, but it won't necessarily prevent diabetes.

3. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

Some cats are genetically susceptible to diabetes. That said, a diet that is as close to their natural diet as possible is much less likely to tip them over the edge. That means WET (NO KIBBLE!), low Carb. IMHO raw would be the best way to go. Read Dr. Lisa Pierson's page on nutrition and also Max's House.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.