How to proceed?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Puddensmom, Sep 3, 2018.

1. Puddensmom

Puddensmom Member

Can someone please look at Pudden's numbers for me?

She isn't coming down at all and I don't know what to do.

She just finished her course of zeniquin today which is an excellent antibiotic so I can't see these numbers happening while she was still on it.

My guess is inflammation in the intestines. She started drooling last night and vomiting foam. She is on omeparazole which is a very strong antiacid. I also gave her a pecid ac after this episode which seemed to help. She was on sucralfate for a week, but it made her vomit and I couldn't keep her meds down. Because of this it was discontinued.

Should I have upped the dose to 1.25 or should I have held the 1 unit dose longer? I worry I am going too high too fast and could miss her right dose.

2. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

It does look like she's responding to the insulin, so that's good. She's getting some nice drops during the cycle. I don't think you're going too fast. You generally don't want to hold a dose longer than 3 days if it isn't giving you good numbers. We usually say 3-6 cycles, so you're right on track.

Are you feeding her several small meals throughout the day? Vomiting foam is sometimes caused by an empty tummy. Do you think that could be a factor?

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I agree with Djamila about carefully raising the dose every few cycles. Feeding many small meals is also helpful for tummy issues.

4. Puddensmom

Puddensmom Member

I feed small meals all day long. She had eaten at 9:30pm and when I came down at 12:30am she was drooling and vomiting. I don't know what caused that response and worried it was a lack of food, but I don't think 3 hours is long enough for acid to accumulate like that. I gave her omeprazole and 1 hour later she was no better so then I gave the pepcid ac. After that she went to sleep and stopped drooling.

I'm glad the raise to 1.25 was ok. The black numbers are so frustrating even though she does come down I just can't get past those horrible pre shot numbers. I was hoping I would be getting pinks by now.

5. SpotsMom

SpotsMom Member

Omeprezole & Pepcid are both for acid stomach. I see Cerenia in your signature. Have you used that recently to control the vomiting?

6. Puddensmom

Puddensmom Member

She gets cerenia everyday. When I gave the omeprazole I also gave the cerenia. The pepcid ac seemed to really help her. Omeprazole stops the production of acid but Pudden seemed to be suffering from such bad acid that I figured the pepcid ac could help to neutralize it fast. It did seem to help and she was able to sleep afterwards.

SpotsMom likes this.