How to travel for work away from kitty (SE Michigan)

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by tackeee, Jan 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tackeee

tackeee Member

hello all!

Little One is still getting regulated (just started on 3.5 units of Lantus and his numbers seem to be slowly going down, but might be dealing with New Dose Wonkiness). Anyway, I have a couple of work conferences coming up in the next month or so, and I’m wondering what my best options are for my diabetic kitty who would be stressed with boarding, but I’m worried about bringing someone in good enough. I also do NOT have a lot of money to spare and this insulin and testing and everything is expensive enough.

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Starting on 3 units of Lantus is a very large starting dose. I'm going to tag @Wendy&Neko to ask for her input.
    It is great you are testing the BSLs

Regarding going away......you could ask at the local vets if there is anyone there who would be interested in coming in to give the shots. Or do you have any friends who might help out?

3. tackeee

tackeee Member

Oh no! He just got upped to 3.5. He was started on 1 unit in early December! And I could ask around to see if vet techs can do house calls. I’d have to train friends to do it; I’m worried about leaving him alone. :(

4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Any chance Little One could travel with you? My Neko came on a few road trips with me once she was diabetic. She was great in pet friendly hotels.

Besides asking at vet offices, you could also ask at the local animal shelter or rescue if they know someond comfortable with giving shots. There are also some pet sitting services that will provide medical support. Or do you have any working or retired nurses in your neighbourhood? One of my neighbours offered to give shots if I needed it.

tackeee and Bron and Sheba (GA) like this.
  5. tackeee

tackeee Member

Thanks for this! I’m considering taking him with me, but unlike his brother he is NOT adventurous, even though he has been in cars often. I just hate to stress him! But these are all good starting places, thank you!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.