How to treat feral cats for worms/fleas?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by WCF and Meowzi, Jan 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WCF and Meowzi

WCF and Meowzi Well-Known Member

Are there worm and/or flea meds that can be mixed into food and is safe for kittens? Friend is holding a feral mom and three kittens, and somekitty threw up a humongous worm overnight. She just got them a couple of days ago and can't get close to them yet - they're living in a spare bathroom - and the only way to treat would be to mix a med(s) into their food. Estimate the kittens are 2-3 months old. She's bringing the worm in to her vet on Monday for i/d, but if anyone can share ideas on meds that can go into food, she could ask her vet if it's appropriate for that particular worm.

2. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

Did you check with Jojo?

I believe you can use Program. You'd have to ask the vet if it's okay for kittens.

ETA: meant to note Program is for fleas. Check on Panacur for worms, but again, Jojo would probably know better than I would.

3. WCF and Meowzi

was planning to check with jojo, but looks like she's not feeling well right now. i'll check in with her later today. thanks, jennifer. give tucker a kiss from me :)

4. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

5. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

This is one of the standard dewormers (Piperazine) and the referenced site site says OK for kittens > four weeks. A dewormer that contains Pyrantel pamoate (active ingredient in Strongid®, Nemex®, HeartgardPlus® and others) might be better since this site states:
    http://www.marvistavet.com/html/pyrantel_pamoate.html
    Pyrantel pamoate is safe to use in pregnancy and lactation and is frequently used in these situations to minimize the worm burdens of neonatal animals.

6. Bridget & Lord Nelson

Bridget & Lord Nelson Member

The rescue agencies that have helped us rescue, foster, socialize and place some of our feral rescues said essentially the same thing. Both piperazine (branded as D-Worm liquid in most pet stores) and pyrantel pamoate will treat for roundworms and the like. Drontal or a generic alternative includes praziquantel in addition to pyrantel pamoate which will also take care of tapeworms, which are gross to humans but not as harmful to cats as other parasites. D-Worm will be easier to mix with food, and will get rid of roundworms. When we first rescued our last litter at about 5-6 weeks old, we treated first with D-Worm (fecals were all negative after that), and then when they got a bit older generic Drontal to also take care of the tapeworms. They really liked the D-Worm mixed with their food. Used Pill Pockets to administer the generic Drontal.

A socialized feral female who we rescued as a breeding adult is now so sweet I can do almost anything to her now except pick her up. When we first found her, she wouldn't let anyone near her. She'd cry for food, and then back away and hiss and growl. I really didn't think she would be socialized and after we trapped her and got her fixed brought her inside, first in a large dog crate and then in a small cat-proof room on a 2-week trial basis, thinking we'd eventually release her. Amazing what food and care will do because now she's tamer than some of our other cats who have lived indoors with us most of their lives. So administering spot on treatments (we use Revolution b/c it also prevents worms) is not an issue with her. However, one of my late stage kittens and another now-adult cat who we rescued as a feral kitten are impossible to handle, and we have to really plan out how we can treat them every month. The kitten isn't too bad because it doesn't require picking him up, but Francine, the now-adult cat who never fully socialized despite our best efforts, is a chore. We manage to do it but it's not as simple as finding cat and administering spot on. So I've been looking at the oral alternatives. Capstar supposedly works really well in conjunction with Program--Capstar to immediately kill adult fleas and Program for month-long flea control.

7. WCF and Meowzi

Thanks, everyonel. I've sent her an e-mail with all the suggestions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.