Human Meter / ReliOn

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Booger's Mom, Apr 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Booger's Mom

Booger's Mom Member

Does anyone use a Human Meter or the ReliOn meter? What do you have it coded at? I thought the big number was the year lol. Apparently is for the code. There is no code on the ReliOn strip bottle though and I had mine coded at 18 (since I thought it was the year lol) The readings have been significantly lower than the Alphatrak 2 meter so I have been hesitant to use it unless like right now when I am out of Freestyle or Alphatrak strips. I am wondering what it should be coded at to get a little more accurate reading.

2. Booger's Mom

Booger's Mom Member

Nevermind. Apparently, with the ReliOn meter, that is in fact the year.

3. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi Member

I’m a newbie and know nothing but I’ve ordered the Relion Premier so please follow up on what you figure out. I’m supposed to get it tomorrow. My plan is on Friday appointment with vet to take it and compare reading to his monitor.
    Sorry my reply is no help...I’m so overwhelmed right now I hope this monitor thing doesn’t make me explode lol!

4. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

The Relion meters do not require coding

Tanya and Ducia and Bellasmom like this.
  5. Booger's Mom

Booger's Mom Member

I'm sorry to hear that we have to meet this way bc that means your cat has diabetes too :(. To be honest with you, I am a perfectionist and I want accurate results so the ReliOn meter for me just doesn't work. Lol. There are many people on here that use human meters. With my experience, the higher the glucose level, the more of a difference you will see in the comparisons. The lower the glucose levels the lesser the difference.

For instance, I could do a comparison with the Alphatrak 2 monitor and the ReliOn. Let's say that my Booger is 456 on the Alphatrak meter (more accurate result). On the ReliOn, it will probably show him in the high 200's or low 300's. Now if I check him with the Alphatrak 2 monitor and he is 75, he will probably show as high 50's or low 60's on the ReliOn.

The most important thing you need to remember is that on the ReliOn meter, 50 is the take action number. Get some honey, karo, etc in your kitty. It only takes about a pea size amount. This will only bring Gretchen's sugar up temporarily, so put down some food as well. Are you feeding dry food or wet food? I have seen a remarkable difference in Boogers glucose levels every since I got him eating Fancy Feast pate food.

On the Alphatrak 2 meter, the magic number is 68 or below. I currently have the alphatrak meter and I use the Freestyle strips in it because they are technically the same strips. They do have a little lower or sometimes higher reading than the Alphatrak strips but they are not way off like the ReliOn. I prefer the Freestyle Insulinx strips. My comparisons have been like 13-25 point off. There is another thread of mine called "Freestyle Lite strip users" where there is the link to buy these strips on Ebay for $9.99 free shipping. If you decided to buy these to use in an Alphatrak meter, don't wait until last minute because they can take a week to get to you. I just purchased some Freestyle Lite strips (before I knew about the Insulinx strips ) from ValleyRainMedical.com for like $24.99. The alphatrak strips are just too expensive. I know the ReliOn strips are super cheap which is wonderful. I am just a perfectionist like I said, but there is nothing wrong with using a human meter. What someone told me once is that High is High and Low is Low. Also, get the spreadsheet going. I can not remember where I found the template at. I think it was in the Welcome Thread.

I have learned soooo much here in this forum and I am so thankful that I found it! My Booger was diagnosed in Feb. I would if you haven't already, click the Home button at the top and read the articles on the right side of the main website. Those helped me out so much. I completely understand your overwhelmed-ness as I still am! Once you get the hang of it, it will get easier. The first time Booger went below 50, I panicked lol. I think everyone does. Try to stay calm. Home testing can save Gretchens life. Once you get the spreadsheet going and inputting number, you will start to see when she drops to her lowest. This really helped me. I noticed a pattern with Booger that he would drop to his lowest between 12:30 and 2:30 day and night. So I got out of my helicopter (helicopter mom here) lol, and started just testing him before meals/insulin and during that time frame.

I just saw in your signature that she is on Novolin N. I would join that thread as well. Check out the Food Chart as well to make sure that the beyond wet food is below 10% carbs. This will help the glucose levels. I am not familiar with Taste of the Wild but I would check the carb content for that as well. I was feeding my carts the Cat Chow Naturals which has like 30% carbs and I just stopped because it is making them sick. Booger can not have that dry food at all. It is too high in carbs. A lot of people on here suggest YoungAgain or Dr Easley I think thats how you spell it.

6. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I use a Freestyle Lite human meter - no coding required.

7. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

I super wanted the Alphatrak and actually had it ordered until I saw the cost of the strips :( I did a screen shot of your response as I know I’ll want to come back to it and they can be hard to re-find. 50 being that emergent number tho...I’ll remember that. During my work week, 4 10s plus small ranch all on my own I am not going to be able to diligently test Gretchen. Like today I had to shoot and run and I’ve been worried all day here at work :( like what if she went hypo!!! Scary!

8. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

I compared today , left is pet meter and right is human basically same number
    E486B846-D15D-4AD6-92C2-6AC1C1D14513.jpeg

9. Booger's Mom

Booger's Mom Member

I thought about getting that pet meter before I got the alphatrak but I didnt hear great things about it.

10. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

I’ve had no problems with it and a box of 100 strips are like 18.00

Jill & Alex (GA) likes this.
  11. Booger's Mom

Booger's Mom Member

You can always get the alphatrak kit and then use Freestyle strips. Either Freestyle Lite or the Freestyle Insulinx. I am blessed that I work from home. I have been for the past 6 years. I would be going bonkers at work all day! That is why it is super important to track the readings. The nadir (lowest reading of the day) is the number that will be used to increase or decrease the dosage. When Booger was first diagnosed, the vet basically just told me to give him 2 units of insulin 2 times a day. I asked about home testing and she didn't seem adamant about it at all. I am so glad that I pressed the issue and do home testing. After the first glucose curve he did at the vets office she upped him to 3 units. Thank God I found this forum and get help with dosing! If I would have just given him 3 units twice a day without testing and dosage increase/decreases, I am sure Booger would have crossed the rainbow bridge! The first time he hypo'd on me he had been given 3 units. Be sure to 1. Test 2. Feed 3. Insulin. I would wait about 30 minutes after eating to give insulin. Not sure if you can come home for lunch but thats an option too. I honestly could not work outside the home with a newly diabetic cat. I would lose my job. lol People are always really good about replying on here so if you need help, post and if it is urgent, change the tag to 911 so someone will see it quickly.

Bellasmom likes this.
  12. Booger's Mom

Booger's Mom Member

Wow. well that is something to look in to. :)

Bellasmom likes this.
  13. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

Oh my goodness Thank You! I’ve been at home with her on the 2 units twice a day since Saturday so I’m almost ok about being stuck here. Almost...lol I live about 40 minutes from hospital so running home isn’t an option. If I end up having to increase I will definitely wait until a Friday morning to do so. I’m off Friday thru Sunday.
    I did finally get some correct syringes. I took my TB in and discussed it with pharmacist and good thing I did because I still had the wrong ones. I had another tech and our radiologist double check my dosing line for where it was on TB syringe so I’m feeling good about that.
    I gave Gretchen her shot in her hip today...don’t know if I’ll do that again. By the way she yelped I may have put it in the muscle. This site says not to use the scruff of the neck but boy that sure is easier in my case. I’ll figure that out. I’m rambling now :nailbiting: so I’ll stop before I hit 10 more subjects in one post

14. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

Oh ps...the newest Relion has Bluetooth and tracks on your phone. I thought that was cool...but not if it’s going to be inaccurate :(

15. Booger's Mom

Booger's Mom Member

Oh cool. I just have the ReliOn Prime

16. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

I’m sending my ReLion back before I even open it. The Apple reviews are horrifying.
    I ordered the Asvocate Pet Test. For the cost of strips that one fits for me. I really wanted the Alphatrak but my horses really want to eat :rolleyes:
    Plus it makes sense that human blood is different composition than a cats so I want one I know is more accurate.

17. Booger's Mom

Booger's Mom Member

That one should be just fine :) How did Gretchen do today?

18. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

(Shhhh, I’m sitting here reading this site at work. 1 pt in the ER yay!)
    She did well, thank you! I gave her a shot an hour before I left today so I didn’t have that “shoot and run” feeling. She was hitting nap time and I got a little worried and woke her a few times before leaving, but she was bright eyed.
    I also ordered Young Again Zero. I’m worried about my other female. No symptoms other than acting hungry all the time and being overweight :( but I will definitely test her when it comes.
    So I’m feeling a bit more “set” and this site has helped me tons. I don’t know if I would have survived this without you all!
    I just told a co-worker “ I’m excited over a diabetic monitor, what has my life come to?” :joyful::joyful::joyful:

19. Booger's Mom

Booger's Mom Member

Trust me! I know the feeling. I got excited over new syringes lol. I get excited when new strips come in the mail. I have another over weight cat as well but he is not showing any symptoms. Booger probably didnt get all of his insulin tonight ugh. I went to give his insulin and he moved....kinda stressing over it because this is the 3rd time and his levels keep getting jacked up. I feel the same way about this forum. If it weren't for it, I would be a hot mess with this stuff.

20. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

The last 2 injections I have I didn’t do in her neck, not sure where you are injecting, but it went better. I have one in her hind hip yesterday and I knew it went in because she got mad. Then I gave a good ole’ fur shot last night. I knew because I could small the insulin on my fingers when I rubbed the spot :confused: - this morning I gave in her front shoulder and again she didn’t like it at all so I knew it went in.
    Where are you injecting?

21. Booger's Mom

Booger's Mom Member

I inject on his sides in different spots. Just make sure you just get the skin and not muscle.

22. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

I’m pretty sure that’s exactly what I did yesterday morning :nailbiting: she was M A D!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.