Humulin N/ how long is a cartridge effective?

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by jan and Hep and sara (GA), Jun 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jan and Hep and sara (GA)

jan and Hep and sara (GA) Well-Known Member

I suspect that the insulin that my friend is using is no good anymore. She has been using it since the end of March [9 weeks].

Does N have the same shelf life of vetsulin? 28 days. Her kitties #'s have gone up and hes acting sicker. More PU?PD

Here is my previous thread re this kitty.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=16179

Thanks,

jan and sara

2. KarenRamboConan

KarenRamboConan Senior Member Moderator

As a general rule, the Humulins last a long time. Nine weeks should be within its life span, but it is inexpensive and might be worth trying a new bottle.

In the meantime, has a curve been done? Does the kitty need a dose change (up or down)? Any food change?

3. jan and Hep and sara (GA)

jan and Hep and sara (GA) Well-Known Member

Karen,

I know she took quite a few #'s one day, so I'm going to say yes on the curve. I had thought at first that maybe this was rebound. Dose has gone up about 1U a week. She's on 6U now. But hes doing worse. I think the dose is to high. Kimmee suggested we do a rebound check. Heps mom is starting it with pm dose today to see if it brings his #'s down some. And than go from there. She is also checking for keytones.

Thanks,

jan and sara

4. Sweetgrass & the Furries

Sweetgrass & the Furries Member

Hi.yes, I would consider the insulin may be bad.......try and sort through the easy things first.

I am glad she is cutting dose. just to 3 units twice a day for the moment, yes?
    Then curve and see if levels become more stable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.