Humulin N injections

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Dave, Apr 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave

Dave New Member

Hello,

I just watched a video on the Lantus board about how to fill the syringe. It stressed never to withdraw Lantus from the vial into the syringe and then inject it back into the vial. The video stated that the syringe has a silicon coating which would be injected along with the Lantus back into the vial contaminating the Lantus in the vial. I presently am injecting my cat Nicky with Humulin N and as per my vet's instructions I draw the insulin into the syringe and then pump it back into the vial to remove any air. I then withdraw the proper amount and inject Nicky. I am using Ulticare 3/10cc Latex free syringes. Does anyone know if this is a threat to Nicky as it would be with the Lantus according to the video?

Also, Nicky just had a very rough 24 hour period where she was not eating or drinking from 7:00 pm Wed. 4 Apr. until 7:00 am Thurs. 5 Apr. This morning she was throwing up what appeared to be bile after eating a small amount of food. Today she has been weak, shaky and seemingly in some sort of distress. I called the vet repeatedly until finally receiving an answer at 12:00 noon today. He said Nicky might be having a rough 24 to 36 hour period and based on what I reported to him not to give her an insulin injection. As the day progressed Nicky started eating and drinking and managed to keep her food down. The vet said if she eats at six pm and by 7 pm she hasn't thrown up maybe I could give her an injection but the possibility of the insulin pushing her over the other side exists. Nicky appears calmer but tired now and did eat and drink throughout the day with no further throwing up. I am reluctant to give her insulin right now for fear of it having an adverse effect. Any thoughts on a course of action to follow?

One last question. I am contemplating switching to the Lantus. Is it possible to switch directly from the Humulin N to the Lantus?

Thank you again,
    Dave

2. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Hi Dave,
    I am glad you are back... switching to Lantus? YES! Switch asap!! N is a horriblly harsh insulin and Nicky must feel horrible from it!

Pick up some Pepcid AC tablets the regular 10mg strength and NOT the Pepcid Complete because that one has extra ingredients not good for cats. The max dose for a cat is 5mg a day, so we cut the tab into 4 pieces. I gave my Shadoe 1/4 tab at am and pm shot times because she had some issues with problems in the morns with upset stomach and ate cat grass and had often morning foamy vomit. The pepcid will help.

You really need to start home testing.. how do you even know if Nicky still needs insulin?
    Do NOT get vials of Lantus. Ask your vet for rx to get the pens or cartridges.
    The vials are 10ml and will likely lose its punch way before you use it all.
    The pens and cartridges are only 3ml, so you will be able to get the insulin to last much longer.
    You may think the cost is high for 5 pens, but you are getting a supply for well over a half year.

Go to the pharmacy and pick up a blood glucose meter, some test strips, lancets, and also KETOSTIX to test urine for ketones. If you are in the US, the most economical meter is the Relion; the strips are very economical. If not in the US, you can't go wrong with using Bayer Contour or OneTouch, or any of the other meters available to you, EXCEPT the Free Style meters which do not register cat's numbers properly.
    Here's how to test Nicky:
    Testing on cat’s ear
    Here's the google spreadsheet that people use to track their test numbers.
    Create your Spreadsheet

I would suggest that you post over in the Health forum, and tell your history, using N but wanting to switch to Lantus.... you will get lots of people who will help you there!

The sooner you get off N, the sooner you are going to see a healthier Nicky.

There are so many things that could have caused her being so sick and one could be pancreatitis, and she could even have gone too low on the N dose you are giving but without testing her BG, you can't know a thing.

here are some links with info on what to do if Nicky goes too low:

List of Hypo symptoms
    How to treat HYPOS-They can kill! Print this out!
    Jojo’s HYPO TOOLKIT

There's a great deal to share with you, but for now, I would say to get the rx for Lantus pens, pick up a meter to start testing, and post over on the Health forum to say something like 'Need help switching from N to Lantus'.

3. Dave

Dave New Member

Gayle,

I want to thank you for your tremendous support and compassion in our efforts to manage Nicky's disease. You don't know how nice it is to know that someone is in your corner. Anyway, last night we took Nicky to a fantastic facility in Forest Hills, New York because Nicky looked to be near death. She is being fed fluids and antibiotics and they are performing a battery of tests to truly determine what her problem is. In another day or two we should know where Nicky and ourselves stand. Until then all we do is cry.

Thanks again,
    Lynda and Dave

4. Marcy & Klinger (GA)

Marcy & Klinger (GA) Well-Known Member

(((Lynda, Dave, and Nicky)) I hope Nicky is feeling better. Please keep us posted on how she's feeling and what the vet says.
    Marcy & Klinger

5. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Hi Dave and Lynda,

I so hope that Nicky is getting better now that's she's at a good facility, and you be sure to get copies of all the test results and ask tons of questions, plus get Nicky on a decent insulin too!

Now you can also give fluids at home, so when Nicky comes home, you can get the vet to show you how to give fluids and it will be easier on Nicky to get fluids in the comforts of home.
    With the antibiotics, ask what kind and what they are being given to resolve, plus find out if you need to take Nicky back to retest when you have given all the AB to Nicky.

Please know that we are here to answer any questions you may have, and also give all the support we can.

6. Dave

Dave New Member

Nicky RIP

To all on the FDMB,

This morning we took Nicky to a wonderful facility in Forest Hills, N.Y. and had her put to sleep. We had taken her there last Friday, 6 April, and after bringing her home last Saturday we were so encouraged by her spirit, energy and appetite that we thought she might make it. Unfortunately, on Wednesday she started to crash and after a very emotional night last night and spending our last few minutes with her this morning we took her to the hospital. Having already lost maybe half her body weight she weighed 4.6 lbs. last Friday night. All week we were marveling at her seeming weight gain but this morning I asked the vet to weigh her and she came in at 3.1 lbs. She battled until the very end and our goodbyes with her were so sad. Needless to say today has been a very emotional day for us but what made this sad episode easier to endure was the tremendous support and encouragement we received from this site especially from Gayle and Marcy among others. Thank you very much to all.
    I do have 60 UltiCare 3/10cc unused insulin syringes unwrapped that we will send to anyone who may have need of them. Just send an email to ( edited to remove email address, please send a pm if interested )and we will send them to whoever may have need.

Once again our sincere thanks to the people on this site for their love and support in this extremely difficult time.

Lynda, Dave and NICKY

7. Dave

Dave New Member

Nicky RIP

I'm sorry, I meant to say that the syringes were unopened, still in the bags.

8. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Dave and Lynda,
    My sincere condolences for your loss of your dear Nicky.
    I know that you did your very best for her and she appreciated your love and care.

9. Sweetgrass & the Furries

Sweetgrass & the Furries Member

I am very sorry for your loss of Nicky.

It is generous of you to offer these supplies. Please consider posting them on the supply forum if still available?
    I have removed your email from your post to ward off any potential spammers who may be about. People are welcome to pm you about them however.

10. Marcy & Klinger (GA)

Marcy & Klinger (GA) Well-Known Member

Dave and Lynda,
    I am so sorry for your loss. Fly free sweet Nicky and land ever so softly at the bridge.
    Marcy & Klinger

11. Marta

Marta New Member

I need help, my cat had diabetes more than a year ago and after two munths with humulin she was ok. Now it is back but for some reason we can't control it. The vet changed to lantus but no reaction at all she stays between 400 and 500 we switched back to humulin but the situation is the same. Today i did a curve at home a blood test every two hours but more then a curve it was nearly a flat line. The strange part is tha she seems great. How is it possible, what is happening?
    Sorry for my englush but i write from italy

12. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB, Marta.

Its great that you're home testing! Good for you! That makes changing diet or insulin dosage much safer for him.

We may be able to help figure out what is happening.
    What is your kitty's name?
    What food are you feeding now?
    How much does your kitty weigh?
    Does he have any dental infection, bladder infection, allergies, or other medical conditions?

Normally, folks post their first topics in our Health forum here I've put a post there linking to this one so you can find them. Take some time browsing around to get a feel for the different sections and to see some of what other folks are doing.

13. Marta

Marta New Member

Hello
    My cat name is beatrice and she wieghs around six kg
    No i don't think she has infection or any other thing as she has had a blood test a few weeks ago and everything was ok.
    She eats food for dyabetics. It is called dyabetics by a brand called farmina. My old vet said it is the best in the market it is supposed to mimic mouse meat.
    She has asma and sometimes does aereosol with flexotide but it is sometime she doesn't do it.
    Today my vet told me to move to 2,5 ui of insulin in the morning and 2,5 ui in the evening and see what happens.

I have a tecnical question how do i read the other peoples answers as i only see yours?
    And in this forum do you also talk about cats with lymphoma as my other cat has it?
    Thanks so much
    Marta

14. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Marta

You only see my response, because I'm the only one who has responded!

You posted under VETSULIN / CANINSULIN/ HUMULIN N, which probably seemed logical for you, however, we ask new folks to post in Feline Health so lots of others can get to know you and your kitty, and take a look at what is happening.

If you click on the link I made for Feline Health, it will take you to that forum. Then a little bit down the left side, there is a button for New Topic. Click on that, and you can start a post where more folks will see it and respond. You might copy what you've written so far, then start the new post and past the text in there.

And yes, we talk about any related topics - other medical conditions come up a lot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.