Hyperthyroidism Diagnosis for Long Term Diabetic

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Danica20, Sep 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Danica20

Danica20 Member

Hello everyone, after a long time of a very regulated Pinky, thanks to a lot of help from these boards we're back, this time with a new diagnosis of Hyperthyroidism.

First question, I was just wondering what every ones experience is with the different kinds of treatment out there. Pill vs Ear liquid vs Radioactive iodine therapy.

Also what are some diet suggestions for Pinky? Right now she is quite happy with her Turkey and Giblets Fancy feast. Unfortunately this new vet we have been passed to has suggested to my husband prescription food :mad: and I want to be armed with the proper information. From what I've seen so far a low carbs diet similar for a diabetic is the way to go for Hyperthyroidism as well, but if anyone has and better suggestions I'm all ears. What is the proper mix low carb high protein? Ect.

This board was extremely helpful with Pinky's initial diabetes diagnosis, thank you for that. So I'm hoping to get so great info from others who are dealing with both diabetes and hyperthyroidism in their fur babies.:)

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

- The radioactive iodine is the best but most expensive. ALso, some locations that do it will not blood test before shots during the post-treatment stay period. Some places may not even want to do shots. I dit this treatment on two civi's and it was worth it. I di not do it on my diabetics since he was not in good enough health.
    - transdermal paste/gel is good and some caretakers find it easier to administer than pills. However, it is more expensive than pills. Also, some cats have GI problems from the pills and may not have it with the transdermal
    - The pill are the least expensive

Note that with the second and third options periodic bloodwork is required but not for the radioactive one. If the cat lives several years, like my first civi, that the radioactive treatment is really less costly overall.

3. Deborah & Muffy(GA) & Wendall

Deborah & Muffy(GA) & Wendall Member

One of my diabetics developed Hyper-T at age 12, four years after being diagnosed with diabetes. We started with tapazole pills and he became very ill with nausea, vomiting and inappetance. Then we tried transdermal which wasn't much better and added severe facial itching to his misery. It's really a nasty, toxic drug and these reactions are not uncommon. Sending him for radioiodine treatment was the best decision because it cured him and he lived to be 19. I never changed his diet and would never feed Rx food.

My only regret is that I wasted months worrying about possible kidney issues while he were miserable. Hyper-T is really hard on the body and the medication can have some pretty bad side effects. If another cat were to develop it, I'd go straight to i131 without hesitation.

4. JL and Chip

JL and Chip Well-Known Member

Ditto what Larry and Deborah said.

Charlie developed hyperT and I truly believe it a contributing factor to a lot of other things that eventually went wrong with him. At that point, many of the treatments, medications, and food choices that were ideal for one issue were contraindicated for another. He became almost impossible to manage. I ultimately had I-131 done and my only regret is that I didn't do it sooner.

I've cared for a total of 5 or 6 hyperT cats over the years and most tolerated Tapazole (methimazole) ok, or at least they appeared to (I'll never know wheher the meds played a role in other issues). However, my experience with Charlie was a game changer. If I ever have another cat who is diagnosed with hyperT, I'm heading straight to I-131 treatment. It is usually curative and I'd much rather CURE the issue rather than treat symptoms and risk that the disease or meds will lead to bigger problems. A cat has to meet certain criteria to be a candidate for I-131, so if you're even considering it, I'd start researching your options soon. Sometimes waiting takes the option off the table.

5. Danica20

Danica20 Member

Thank you fro your replies.
    To those that has their cats do the I-131 treatment, how did they react to it? I worry just a bit because Pinky is 15 years old and I wonder how her old body will handle it, but then again it sounds like in the long term tapazole pills make be a bit rougher on her. Money is no object, whatever is best for Pinky. Other than the diabetes and hyperT she's in good shape.

6. Deborah & Muffy(GA) & Wendall

Deborah & Muffy(GA) & Wendall Member

I'm not sure what you mean by react. Wendall had no reaction except that he started feeling and looking so much better. The facility that he went to was an emergency hospital open 24/7, important for me, and had a webcam so I could check on him anytime. He ate, slept, watched the bird feeders - so pretty much what he did at home. He was their first diabetic and because he was radioactive, they couldn't test him but would give insulin. He was on a very low dose (0.2 unit) so I sent along a syringe with B-12 in it measured to a slightly lower dose just to be safe. I used B-12 because it's red but food coloring would also work. It was labeled and the needle clipped off so it couldn't be accidentally injected. I sent an assortment of foods, a bed, an old worn t-shirt, diabetic supplies and a detailed list of instructions about what and when to feed, give insulin, etc.

Radioiodine is given as a single injection, no anesthesia required. Wendall was there 3 days and sent home with instructions. The veterinarian who administered the i131 told me not to worry about most of them and I didn't. I did not isolate him, just washed my hands after handling and because we had another 13 or so cats, was extra vigilant about the litter boxes. We did have to save the litter for about 8 weeks before disposing. His first T-4 post treatment was a little low which I was told is common, but a few weeks later was a perfect normal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.