? Hypo? Bouncing?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Glassgoblin, Mar 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Glassgoblin

Glassgoblin Member

Jaxa was at the vet all day for her weekly glucose test there, and was high at 464 for her +6, got home this evening and she was at 365 for her PMPS so she got her shot, I checked at +3 and she was at 141, which worried me, so tested at +5 and she was at 51! I gave her some Friskies treats, tested again after 30 and got 56, gave more treats and at +6 is at 65. It looks like the right direction, but keep testing every 15-30? She doesn't seem to have any symptoms, except thirst. I just gave her more treats and have honey ready, but scared.

We are in the middle of a big snow storm, 6-10 inches expected, so I'm worried about having to get out, if it would even be possible.

*15 min later at 83mg/dl. She is laying next to me and giving me dirty looks for poking her ears so often.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
    Reason for edit: Added note
  2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Those are nice, safe numbers!!

You should test for 2 hours from the last time you have to feed anything high carb....every 30 minutes for the first hour, then 1 more test an hour later

If they stay safe during those 2 hours, you're usually going to be fine, but if they drop below 50 again (and therefore require more HC food) that 2 hour "clock" starts over

3. Glassgoblin

Glassgoblin Member

Last test is +7.5 and we are at 111 mg/dl. That takes us 2.5 hrs from our +5 at 51 so it looks like we are continuing in the right direction. I'm not sure I want to do what the vet told me to do today now- he wanted an increase in AM shot from 4 to 5 units. I should call them tomorrow too. Will test, and consider less depending on numbers and then I had better do a curve again.

4. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Definitely do not increase after those low numbers. If anything that 51 should call for a decrease. In a month you’ve gone up a lot in dose and quickly and might well have gone right past a good dose range. The high numbers that have prompted dose increases might be from bouncing - very common.

JanetNJ likes this.
  5. Glassgoblin

Glassgoblin Member

I was just going to ask about that again in the prozinc area. I just did her AMPS, but haven't fed yet, and got a 345. So I don't want to skio the shot, but I'm not giving her five units after last night. I'm not sure what I should give honestly.

6. Kris & Teasel

Here’s what I would do if she was my kitty: I’d drop the dose to no more than 3 u, get a +2 test to see if she preparing to dive again and definitely post on the ProZinc forum for help. There’s an excellent basic guide to using ProZinc in the yellow info stickies list on that forum. I’d print it out, read it carefully and make a list of questions. See you over there later - have to look after my cat gang right now.

JanetNJ likes this.
  7. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I'd drop to 3-3.5. The readings are higher at the vet because of stress. It's more accurate and cheaper to do tests and curves at home. Just email your vet a link to the spreadsheet.

8. Glassgoblin

Glassgoblin Member

I've shared the spreadsheet as a doc with them a week ago, but I might hold off on giving them all my info if I'm not following their instructions exactly. After this next week I don't think we will be going in as often, I think Jaxa needs a break from all of the cat carrier and travel stress. She was adopted from our local no-kill shelter (next Saturday, 4/7, is actually our 6th year adoption anniversary) and it was at a time before they used cat colony rooms. So, for three months she was in a small cage all by herself. She hasn't wanted to be in the carrier since she got home with me that first day, and I hate that she has to be in a cage at the vet all day while I'm at work.

9. Kris & Teasel

You can certainly do curves at home where she'll be much more comfortable and we can help you interpret them. :)

10. Booger's Mom

Booger's Mom Member

How much insulin did you give her?

11. Kris & Teasel

She got 3 u AM and PM today.

12. Glassgoblin

Glassgoblin Member

I think this is triggering my pancreatitis anxieties over her food. All day I've been wondering if she is eating enough, etc. The free feeding that Young Again promotes is hard; when I was measuring the food in the dish three or four times a day and then adding more, to make sure she had enough calories I knew exactly what she was eating every day. Now I just add more food, but I added more than usual yesterday due to the leftovers from the vet visit. Anxiety sucks. Going to do a +2 and +4 tonight to get a direction, but I have to wait for her to stop playing with her mousie first. (She actually jumped into the bathtub tonight -not for water- she hasn't done that in at least three years).

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  13. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

If she's playing and jumping, she's doing ok. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.